Sponsored by:

PCM Phone Contacts Not Properly Syncing

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2023 | 09:54 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default PCM Phone Contacts Not Properly Syncing

Has anyone noticed that a recent software update to the PCM has caused your Contacts to not sync properly with your iPhone? I noticed it within the past month or so prior to returning my Taycan as the PFS lease ended. All of a sudden, "Hey Porsche" did not recognize call requests for names that have long been in my Contact list on my phone, and that had been working properly in the car until recently (maybe the last 30-45 days?). The reason I bring it up here (hopefully, I am still allowed to play in this playground as a former Taycan owner/driver) is I am now seeing the same thing on my new Panamera ST. Out of 400 contacts on my phone, the Panamera is only syncing something like 140 of them...... And it's a random sync meaning it's not just processing down the list and stops mid-way in the file.

Has anyone noticed this on their Taycan? The PCM function is very similar in the Panamera to that of the Taycan. Same app layout and apps (HomeLink is different - it's a physical button arrangement instead of fully electronic). I've already lodged as issue with the dealer, but I already know the reply - "Shrug! It's a software issue." If Porsche really is going all-in on developing their own infotainment solution, they REALLY need better testers and product people/owners that will LISTEN to their customer base rather than taking the position that they "...know it all."

Toby
Old 06-27-2023 | 12:14 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I've not noticed this as I don't use bluetooth audio/connection, I use apple CarPlay. So you're not using the apple or google car connection? If so, that really supersedes the "porsche" stuff, you just interact with apple or google...

I do have the option clicked to sync the local contacts, I'll check later and see if they are appearing in the list if I disconnect from CarPlay.
Old 06-27-2023 | 12:25 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Really annoying not being able to select individual contacts in CarPlay though, instead have to use Siri, which can be very frustrating.
For example, I had two entries for one person, then used one of it's three numbers.
Finding none of those valid, I couldn't get Siri to show me the other entry again, and ended up unsafely scrolling through the iPhone.
Porsche intentionally dumbs down CarPlay, where the M5 allows direct access of contacts.

Last edited by d00d; 06-27-2023 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-27-2023 | 01:33 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I've not noticed this as I don't use bluetooth audio/connection, I use apple CarPlay. So you're not using the apple or google car connection? If so, that really supersedes the "porsche" stuff, you just interact with apple or google...

I do have the option clicked to sync the local contacts, I'll check later and see if they are appearing in the list if I disconnect from CarPlay.
Thanks @Spyerx ! No, while the Panamera does support wireless CarPlay, I do not use it. And yes, I do know that I can use the long push on the button to activate voice control, it's just the principle of the thing for me. We pay a LOT of money for these cars and to have to endure CRAP software development is just singularly frustrating. My Taycan sat at the dealership for 4 months back in late 2020 because of crappy software coding on Porsche's part. If you (Porsche) are going to advertise a feature and advertise it as a SAFETY feature, it should at least work properly! (Sorry, RANT OFF!)

Last edited by Toby Pennycuff; 06-27-2023 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2023 | 02:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I have low expectations with Porsche and the infotainment system.

Good thing is apple CarPlay seems to work well.
Old 04-04-2024 | 10:33 PM
Marc B.
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Has anyone noticed that a recent software update to the PCM has caused your Contacts to not sync properly with your iPhone? I noticed it within the past month or so prior to returning my Taycan as the PFS lease ended. All of a sudden, "Hey Porsche" did not recognize call requests for names that have long been in my Contact list on my phone, and that had been working properly in the car until recently (maybe the last 30-45 days?). The reason I bring it up here (hopefully, I am still allowed to play in this playground as a former Taycan owner/driver) is I am now seeing the same thing on my new Panamera ST. Out of 400 contacts on my phone, the Panamera is only syncing something like 140 of them...... And it's a random sync meaning it's not just processing down the list and stops mid-way in the file.

Has anyone noticed this on their Taycan? The PCM function is very similar in the Panamera to that of the Taycan. Same app layout and apps (HomeLink is different - it's a physical button arrangement instead of fully electronic). I've already lodged as issue with the dealer, but I already know the reply - "Shrug! It's a software issue." If Porsche really is going all-in on developing their own infotainment solution, they REALLY need better testers and product people/owners that will LISTEN to their customer base rather than taking the position that they "...know it all."

Toby
Toby, did you ever figure this out? Same thing is happening to me. 2024 Taycan / iphone 15 pro.

Thanks,
Marc
Old 04-19-2024 | 05:35 PM
louzayong
8th Gear

Hi, did you manage to resolve the problem?

Quick Reply: PCM Phone Contacts Not Properly Syncing