Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My charging adventures on a roundtrip between Orange County/Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023 | 12:50 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I did another roundtrip to Vegas recently and had an interesting experience on the way back to SoCal. When I felt Vegas I charged up to 92% and was planning on charging at Barstow which was about 160 miles from the Vegas charging station. When I got to Baker which was 90 miles from the Vegas charging station I had about 45% left on the charge as going up the hill past stateline and a breeze sucks a good bit of that power. Then the weather got weird with off and on showers and strong headwind gusts and about 15 miles out from the Barstow charging station the navi freaking out telling me that I won't make it to the charging station (I was going 75-85 from Baker to Barstow because there were a good amount of cars on the road). Well I ended up getting to the Barstow charging station with 3% and 5 miles left on the range (shortest range I've ever experienced) and the last few miles on the freeway I was tailgating a big SUV as the headwinds were very strong. I charged back up to 91% at Barstow and got home which was about 110 miles from the Barstow charging station with 22% left on the battery as the headwinds were strong until I got off the Cajon pass. This trip had my worst mileage at just under 1.8 miler per kW.
aero drag has a V^2 component -after 40 mph all energy required to move is aero dominant

80 mph driving speed + 15 mph headwind is aero drag load of 95 mph - which with a v^2 component is very expensive
The following users liked this post:
usctrojanGT3 (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023 | 01:19 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
aero drag has a V^2 component -after 40 mph all energy required to move is aero dominant

80 mph driving speed + 15 mph headwind is aero drag load of 95 mph - which with a v^2 component is very expensive
Yeah it was crazy how quickly my range was dropping hence why I started tailgating the SUV. I thought to myself...OK, if I run out of power before I get to the Barstow charging station I'll call AAA and tow me home.
Old 06-22-2023 | 01:35 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Yeah it was crazy how quickly my range was dropping hence why I started tailgating the SUV. I thought to myself...OK, if I run out of power before I get to the Barstow charging station I'll call AAA and tow me home.
I had a similar experience with Model S P85D years ago on I-5 north - a trip I had done mulitple times and "knew" the range and battery percentages at all the stops - but head wind - and OMG the range was dropping like a stone - normally I could make north from Tejon Pass to Gilroy outlets supercharger with 5% battery - but on this particular night the wind made it such that I could barely make it to the Harris Ranch supercharger with 7% battery due to head winds…

speed is a range killers, and effective speed which is actual speed + head wind still equals the same aerodynamic loads for consumption purposes …

yeah if I were to ever run out of power in an EV I'd have AAA haul me to a fast charger - if I'm road tripping and run out of juice it's not going to be that far from a charging stop…i.e. you're likely just to have fallen a bit short rather than be 100's of miles from a charger…

also all the EV's I've driven 0% charge still has some driving room (not a lot) but occassionally you can drive beyond zero and it may be enough "to get you there" - but I wouldn't plan on it...

also dropping speed is very very effective to extend range if you're truly "almost there" - covering the last 5 miles at 30-40 mph isn't that much of a delay and will really really reduce consumption.
The following 4 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Dr. G7 (06-23-2023), usctrojanGT3 (06-22-2023), whiz944 (06-22-2023), whojoemama (07-18-2023)
Old 06-23-2023 | 05:36 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

...on the freeway I was tailgating a big SUV as the headwinds were very strong.
Please say you don't do such dangerous things on a regular basis. Please.
Old 06-23-2023 | 05:53 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

...Well I ended up getting to the Barstow charging station with 3% and 5 miles left
And if Barstow stations were kaput?

BTW, you do know that Barstow has (one of the only three in the world) Marine Corps Logistics bases? From every single marine's radio, Harris AN/PRC-117, to maybe Marine One -the huge Sikorsky VH-3D Sea King or smaller VH-60N, to HMMWV Joint Light Tactical Vehicles, the KC-130 Hercules (supporting U.S. Navy's flight demonstration team, the "Blue Angels") they are all supported, refurbished and maintained at one of the three bases.

Full disclosure: I did get NOT this info from Mar-a-Lago Club but good ole wiki.
Old 06-23-2023 | 05:56 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Reason, when I venture beyond 100 miles from home, I defer to my ICE.
Old 06-23-2023 | 06:10 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Igooz
Thank you for asking Dr. G7, and please go ahead, of course!! We are taking USC's trhead on a tangent, sorry bud.
"Why buy a Taycan"

It is a game changer. My Taycan like none other. Yes, I'm the first to criticize. That is to avoid the "Tesla Kool-Aid" from seeping into Taycan.

Porsche really hit out of the ballpark with the Taycan. Unfortunately Porsche (including Dr. Wolfgang and Mr. Oliver... Oh yes, I'm on first name basis with these dignitaries ) don't realize the gem in the rough. They are stuck on 911 hoopla.

The design (interior and exterior) of Taycan is exquisite. Handling is near perfect. Performance is neck snapping "chiropractor dream come true." Instrumentation is laid out by "everyday driver." Daily driving the Taycan is something I look forward to, every day. Sometimes even meaningless, "I'll check if toothpaste is on sale at the Wally in the next town" is a necessity, just to drive Taycan. 'Nuff said?
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. G7:
Der-Schwabe (06-24-2023), Igooz (06-25-2023)
Old 06-24-2023 | 02:26 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Please say you don't do such dangerous things on a regular basis. Please.
I wasn't 5 feet away from him....more like 2 car lengths.
Dr. G7 (06-24-2023)
Old 06-24-2023 | 02:28 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

And if Barstow stations were kaput?

BTW, you do know that Barstow has (one of the only three in the world) Marine Corps Logistics bases? From every single marine's radio, Harris AN/PRC-117, to maybe Marine One -the huge Sikorsky VH-3D Sea King or smaller VH-60N, to HMMWV Joint Light Tactical Vehicles, the KC-130 Hercules (supporting U.S. Navy's flight demonstration team, the "Blue Angels") they are all supported, refurbished and maintained at one of the three bases.

Full disclosure: I did get NOT this info from Mar-a-Lago Club but good ole wiki.
No, all of the chargers were working at Barstow and there we only one other car charging there at it was 10pm. The Baker chargers were working there too but 2 out of the 6 chargers at the Vegas charging station were not working.
Dr. G7 (06-24-2023)
Old 06-24-2023 | 03:55 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

I wasn't 5 feet away from him....more like 2 car lengths.
At 2 car lengths, I am not sure slipstreaming would work. For effective slipstreaming, one needs to tailgate within a few feet of the vehicle they are following. And the front vehicle should be huge, like an 18 wheeler.

Caveat: it has been repeatedly shown the dangers of amateur slipstreaming. Slipstreaming maybe ok for professional F1 drivers.

The quote for slipstreaming is "This fuel-saving hack is wholly irresponsible and incredibly dangerous - not just for the driver doing it but for all road users."

Last edited by Dr. G7; 06-24-2023 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2023 | 09:48 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

So the other day I ran my battery to the lowest point ever, 2% and 4 miles and I got the turtle light, when I pulled up the EA charging station by me. The charging rate on the car was amazing, I went from 2% to 50% (44kw) in 10 minutes and ended up with 89% by the end of the 30 minute charging session (about an 81kw charge).
thebishman (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023 | 11:05 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

At 2 car lengths, I am not sure slipstreaming would work. For effective slipstreaming, one needs to tailgate within a few feet of the vehicle they are following. And the front vehicle should be huge, like an 18 wheeler.

Caveat: it has been repeatedly shown the dangers of amateur slipstreaming. Slipstreaming maybe ok for professional F1 drivers.

The quote for slipstreaming is "This fuel-saving hack is wholly irresponsible and incredibly dangerous - not just for the driver doing it but for all road users."

You've never been on the racetrack with USC
usctrojanGT3 (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023 | 08:00 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

A friend of mine from school, picture Mud (Primus), used to draft 18 wheelers with his bicycle as they crested a hill.
If your brakes are better, and reaction times sufficient, it's doable with a car.
Old 07-18-2023 | 12:25 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

So the other day I ran my battery to the lowest point ever, 2% and 4 miles and I got the turtle light, when I pulled up the EA charging station by me. The charging rate on the car was amazing, I went from 2% to 50% (44kw) in 10 minutes and ended up with 89% by the end of the 30 minute charging session (about an 81kw charge).
when you get the conditions "right" the Taycan is the fastest charging EV available on the market right now - it's just amazing how quickly you can get it to charge.

if EA would get their sh*t together it would be better/faster than the supercharger network - but alas…
usctrojanGT3 (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023 | 02:13 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
when you get the conditions "right" the Taycan is the fastest charging EV available on the market right now - it's just amazing how quickly you can get it to charge.

if EA would get their sh*t together it would be better/faster than the supercharger network - but alas…
It was shocked, the car was charged at a 260kw+ rate from 2% to 50% and stayed over a 200kw+ rate until 70%.
daveo4porsche (07-19-2023)

Quick Reply: My charging adventures on a roundtrip between Orange County/Las Vegas