Sponsored by:

GTS vs. Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 05:33 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Silververtu
That would be hard to choose but I will probably go for Turbo S since it has depreciated for a bit already unless I can do European delivery for the GTS.
I do think the Turbo S will continue to depreciate faster, since most people will settle on the idea that the GTS is as much "extra" performance as anyone needs from a Taycan. There are always a few people who want the top of the range at any cost, but those are more likely to be new buyers vs. used, since they also want it spec'd just the way they want it.

In the same way that the Turbo S is really just a Turbo with a faster launch control party trick, the GTS also has the same front and rear motors and inverters as the Turbo, and the same torque figure. That's to say, the GTS does have some significant differences from the 4S, but the Turbo doesn't have much to separate it from the GTS. And that's assuming Porsche isn't deliberately understating the GTS's horsepower in order to create more separation within the range.

But to completely contradict myself, my Turbo did feel a bit faster than the GTS, and if there as a ST version of the Tube, that's what I would have ordered!
Old 04-17-2023, 06:08 PM
AtTheGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 91 Posts
Default The GTS Is Unique

Although my wife and I have owned our Taycan GTS for less than two weeks, I appreciate the special GTS features. I like the GTS logo on the rocker panels and the fact that the door pulls are matte black and not chrome or another trim color as I see on the website. BTW, I originally spec’d a red GTS interior on the configurator but with the rear 2+1 seating the center seat belt was black not red like the outboard ones, I went with black leather, which i like a lot.

The lighted door sills (Taycan GTS in front, Taycan in back) look great, as well. As a person who buys cars with more power that I use 99.9% of the time, I think the GTS’ performance is amazing. I like the GTS-only features like black vs. chrome window surrounds, enhanced sport sound and optimized suspension. I think the GTS does a good job fulfilling the design and function of a “sport sedan”.

And OMG does this car handle. When taking delivery at the L.A. PEC, they didn’t have a GTS in the fleet for track work so I drove a Turbo S. On the short straights and esses on the handling course, I’m not sure that flat-out acceleration coming out of corners would have been any slower in a GTS, especially if the extra HP only comes into play at launch, and the Turbo S is only 24 pounds heavier than the GTS, so no effect there.

Bottom line: if I had been given a choice between preowned Turbo S or even new Turbo S at higher cost vs. GTS, I would have selected the GTS. For me, it is perfect, maybe because I like sports cars. For some, who want more luxury, more standard features, added power and Turbo S ownership, that is the car for them. It is similar to my having owned two 911 TTSs. A 911 GTS would have all the power and handling I need, but I like the TTS model. So many choices, too few garages, never enough $$$$.
The following 3 users liked this post by AtTheGlen:
Bell911 (04-18-2023), daveo4porsche (04-17-2023), Der-Schwabe (04-18-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 06:54 AM
PorscheSince2013
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 155 Posts

The increase in HP from the GTS to the Turbo/Turbo S is significant, and a thrill to have for daily driving a luxury sports sedan. The HP and torque is a big part of what makes this car so special. I am personally not a fan of Race-Tex.

Used Turbos with full warranty and great specs can be had for less than a new GTS.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1345421
Old 04-27-2023, 11:09 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Isn't the torque figure on all three the same unless you are in launch mode for the Turbo S? And the torque on the GTS and Turbo is the same at all times. That's what you feel in daily driving, so the "thrill" factor is basically the same across all three models. My Turbo felt ever so slightly faster than my GTS, but it's barely noticeable in daily driving. I agree that a used deal on a Turbo can be great, particularly since the Turbos often come with a lot of options.

Originally Posted by PorscheSince2013
The increase in HP from the GTS to the Turbo/Turbo S is significant, and a thrill to have for daily driving a luxury sports sedan. The HP and torque is a big part of what makes this car so special. I am personally not a fan of Race-Tex.

Used Turbos with full warranty and great specs can be had for less than a new GTS.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1345421
Old 04-27-2023, 11:13 AM
PorscheSince2013
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
Isn't the torque figure on all three the same unless you are in launch mode for the Turbo S? And the torque on the GTS and Turbo is the same at all times. That's what you feel in daily driving, so the "thrill" factor is basically the same across all three models. My Turbo felt ever so slightly faster than my GTS, but it's barely noticeable in daily driving. I agree that a used deal on a Turbo can be great, particularly since the Turbos often come with a lot of options.
You are correct that torque for GTS and Turbo are the same. Interesting.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...rque%20(Taycan)
Old 04-27-2023, 11:16 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

You are correct that torque for GTS and Turbo are the same. Interesting.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...rque%20(Taycan)
Same also for the Turbo S, unless you are in launch mode.
Old 04-29-2023, 10:45 PM
big_pun_pcar
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at GTS for sometime and I came across new 22 turbo s and it’s spec’d out quite well. Dealer is giving me a great deal on turbo s which is close to very well spec’d GTS. I am confused if I should go with turbo s or go with my spec’d out GTS.

thoughts?
Old 04-30-2023, 04:07 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Bell911
thanks for all the replies. i went with a '23 GTS after driving them back to back. There was really no real world difference in power that could be "felt" in what would be normal spirited driving.
Congratulations. The GTS is a no brainer.

I would be embarrassed to own an oxymoron turbo electric.
Old 04-30-2023, 04:11 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by big_pun_pcar
I have been looking at GTS for sometime and I came across new 22 turbo s and it’s spec’d out quite well. Dealer is giving me a great deal on turbo s which is close to very well spec’d GTS. I am confused if I should go with turbo s or go with my spec’d out GTS.

thoughts?
As mentioned elsewhere, GTS is a no brainer. Is your GTS on the lot? Or a distant delivery? I gather the Turbo is on the lot and has 99% of features you must have. It is a lot of money to be making compromises.
Old 04-30-2023, 04:27 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

You are correct that torque for GTS and Turbo are the same.)
ALL torque/acceleration of Taycans are waiting chiropractor visits.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (05-01-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 05:46 PM
big_pun_pcar
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
As mentioned elsewhere, GTS is a no brainer. Is your GTS on the lot? Or a distant delivery? I gather the Turbo is on the lot and has 99% of features you must have. It is a lot of money to be making compromises.
No, my salesman mentioned to me that they have an available allocation to order a GTS. so if I decide to go with ordering process it will most like come in July timeframe. Yes, 22 turbo s is on the lot sitting in the showroom as demo vehicle. it has about 100ish miles on it.

i do agree that at this price point i should get what i exactly want in my taycan. as the turbo s was presented to me and dealer giving an amazing discount on it, that is why inquired more about it. it has about 90% of options i want except for Burmeister system .

Old 04-30-2023, 06:01 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
I just took delivery of a Taycan GTS at the L.A. PEC, and because there were no GTS models in their fleet, I did the track work, wet skid pad and launch control starts in a Taycan Turbo S. Although I had driven a Taycan (Turbo S) while a GT3 I previously owned was in for its annual service, and again at a Porsche Drive event, where I autocrossed a Turbo, I cannot imagine wanting or needing more power than in the GTS. Also, the GTS has 246 miles nominal range, the Turbo S, 222. Depending on how much you will rely on remote charging, this might not be significant for you. It surprised me that the curb weights shown on the Porsche website are almost the same - the Turbo S is just 24 pounds heavier (5,101 vs. 5.077 lb.). I guess it is all in the tune.

I have not looked at equipment that is standard on the Turbo S but extra cost for the GTS, but seeing that the Turbo S base price is $55K higher, it would be difficult for me to have justified purchasing a Turbo S. I have no regrets. I wanted the GTS from the start and didn't consider other versions. Some of the options that I added like RWS, PDCC Sport, PCCBs, are probably standard on the Turbo S, but at 2023 pricing, I came in well below the Turbo S base price.

The GTS is the newest model and has certain interior, suspension and sound elements that are unique. As everyone says about Porsche's GTS variants, it really is good choice for someone like me who wants all-around great performance but without extra-cost bells and whistles or power that I won't use. I spec'd PCCBs because (a) I am shallow enough to not want brake dust on my rims, and (b) I figured that it would be good to have all the stopping power available when hauling this 2.5-ton beast down to a halt. I had PCCBs on my past three 911s and have not had any problems. My wife's and my other car is fantastic, but this Taycan GTS simply amazes me. Today, while driving, I figured out what the car feels like when accelerating from a stop. It is like a DC Metro train taking off from a station - and more. It just launches from a stop. Wow!
I don’t think the PCCBs actually stop the car any sooner. They just won’t fade because of overheating on the track. Tires are probably a bigger factor. I think C&D tested two Carrera S models side-by-side, one with PCCB and one without. There was no difference in stopping distance, and they couldn’t get the steel brakes to fade. The main function the PCCBs perform is to separate Porsche owners from another $10k.
daveo4porsche (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 12:41 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,886 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
I don’t think the PCCBs actually stop the car any sooner. They just won’t fade because of overheating on the track. Tires are probably a bigger factor. I think C&D tested two Carrera S models side-by-side, one with PCCB and one without. There was no difference in stopping distance, and they couldn’t get the steel brakes to fade. The main function the PCCBs perform is to separate Porsche owners from another $10k.
you are correct tires-grip stop the car not the brakes - pccb are thermal monsters and don’t overheat - that is their super power

but taycan can’t run full pace much longer than 20 min on track before battery overheats and reduces pace

pccbs are 100% unnecessary on taycan - it can not run hard enough or long enough to need high endurance brakes
Old 05-01-2023, 12:48 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
you are correct tires-grip stop the car not the brakes - pccb are thermal monsters and don’t overheat - that is their super power

but taycan can’t run full pace much longer than 20 min on track before battery overheats and reduces pace

pccbs are 100% unnecessary on taycan - it can not run hard enough or long enough to need high endurance brakes
Even on the brake dust issue, I don't really find it to be a problem. I had the PSCBs on our Taycan Turbo, and just have regular brakes on the GTS. I don't notice any real issues with brake dust on the GTS, certainly not enough to justify the $4k (Canadian) plus the cost of upgrading from the base GTS wheel to get them. It's bad enough that Porsche charges $1,000 for black calipers (on both iron and PCSBs). On an EV, you're just using less friction braking in general, which further mitigates the brake dust issue.
Dr. G7 (05-18-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 08:58 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 421 Likes on 245 Posts

If the Taycan is using the same blended braking firmware as Audi uses in the etron, the first 0.3g of deceleration is actually performed by regeneration. Hence the mechanical brakes are used very little on the street. You can notice regeneration cease when the etron slows down to around 6 mph, at which time it’s 100% mechanical braking. In 30K miles my brake pads have essentially zero wear.

Also because you use the brakes so little, the wheels stay very clean; hence another reason to not have to purchase the PCCBs.

Apologies in advance if Porsche uses a different system.

Last edited by thebishman; 05-01-2023 at 08:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
daveo4porsche (05-02-2023), Dr. G7 (05-18-2023)

Quick Reply: GTS vs. Turbo S