Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Term Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023 | 12:26 AM
flygdchman
Instructor

Originally Posted by irv09
I think you have a good range of thoughts on the Taycan. I have a Taycan Turbo (2020) and it is an awesome car. Porsche has a long way to go on the front of supporting EVs in general and this first one specifically. I think my Taycan can go 300,000 miles, but there are a few issues with the heating unit, various control modules that go bad and need a replacement, or software upgrades that kill modules which affect my confidence in keeping the car. I had considered trading the car about two months ago and was given a price of $120,000. I got another estimate last week and the price was $95,000 and I get the fluctuation in used car values, but a big unknown is the value of my Taycan at year five, six, or eight (close to the end of the battery warranty). If you know that you are going to keep the Taycan for a year or two, then I would say have fun.
How many miles are on your car?
Old 04-13-2023 | 12:55 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by irv09
I think you have a good range of thoughts on the Taycan. I have a Taycan Turbo (2020) and it is an awesome car. Porsche has a long way to go on the front of supporting EVs in general and this first one specifically. I think my Taycan can go 300,000 miles, but there are a few issues with the heating unit, various control modules that go bad and need a replacement, or software upgrades that kill modules which affect my confidence in keeping the car. I had considered trading the car about two months ago and was given a price of $120,000. I got another estimate last week and the price was $95,000 and I get the fluctuation in used car values, but a big unknown is the value of my Taycan at year five, six, or eight (close to the end of the battery warranty). If you know that you are going to keep the Taycan for a year or two, then I would say have fun.
I don’t think the value is that much of a big unknown. At year 8 it will probably be worth about the same amount as an equivalent 8-year-old Panamera today. Expect to lose 70% of the value or more, just like any expensive luxury sedan.

Temperature management on the batteries is much better now than in the early days of EVs, so the battery should still be in pretty good shape provided it hasn’t been constantly fast charged to 100%, but the bigger issue is simply that large luxury vehicles drop in value heavily, regardless of powertrain, and Porsche does slightly better because people value the brand.
The following users liked this post:
white6speed (04-13-2023)
Old 04-18-2023 | 10:25 AM
irv09
Advanced

11780 miles on the car
Old 04-22-2023 | 02:10 PM
AlexOz
Instructor

I've owned my Taycan Turbo for three years as of today: I bought it on 4/22/2020. It's the car I drive the most and every time I do so I think how good of a car it is. My dealer was fanatical about sales and service training, so the various software updates went well and the car hasn't had any noteworthy issues. The biggest issues were paint faults because the white protective plastic was put on too soon after painting -- it was rushed out of the factory right before the COVID shutdown -- and an incorrect panel that obscured the night vision sensor. The paint was corrected at my dealer's expense, and the correct front panel arrived within a few days.

I've owned multiple Porsches, including a 992 GT3 that I currently own. The Taycan isn't as engaging as the GT3, especially as that car is a manual, but its solidity and nimbleness -- the latter likely due to rear-wheel steering -- makes the Taycan a fun and comfortable ride. I had a Model S P100D before, which proved that EVs can be practical and fun, but the Tesla''s build quality and the endless broken promises/tweets about functionality improvements were annoying. The Taycan was a major upgrade in quality and engagement. I bought the Taycan new at a discount -- those were the days -- and it's depreciated 30% in three years. That doesn't seem excessive.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlexOz:
Der-Schwabe (04-23-2023), flygdchman (04-23-2023), thebishman (04-22-2023)
Old 04-23-2023 | 01:13 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by whan
Agree it makes sense to go used. Honestly, I don’t think it will be more fun around town than a 392 wrangler just given the rowdiness of the V8 and unrefined chassis. But, IMO it would be a more enjoyable experience overall. I feel like driving the Taycan is sort of akin to flying in a private jet - everything is just a nicer experience for daily driving. I feel far more relaxed daily driving my Taycan, as mentioned it’s a really nice place to be but I also have the capability to corner, overtake, etc. with lots of confidence
We all have different definitions of “fun.” Every time I drive a Wrangler I step out with a sense of accomplishment from not having killed myself. Horrible steering, the worst braking. Drives like something from 1960. I can’t imagine one with 5x the motor that the chassis was “designed” for. Hands down, Jeeps are some of the worst driving vehicles ever made, and I can’t imagine something more ill-suited for driving around town. They belong in the desert climbing over giant boulders. They excel at that, the one thing they’re ideal for. Anywhere else they are by far one of the most compromised driving experiences, and yet, one of the most popular mall crawlers sold.
The following 3 users liked this post by MingusDew:
24Neptune (01-19-2024), flygdchman (04-23-2023), superfast02911 (05-11-2023)
Old 04-23-2023 | 01:42 PM
AlexOz
Instructor

Originally Posted by MingusDew
We all have different definitions of “fun.” Every time I drive a Wrangler I step out with a sense of accomplishment from not having killed myself. Horrible steering, the worst braking. Drives like something from 1960. I can’t imagine one with 5x the motor that the chassis was “designed” for. Hands down, Jeeps are some of the worst driving vehicles ever made, and I can’t imagine something more ill-suited for driving around town. They belong in the desert climbing over giant boulders. They excel at that, the one thing they’re ideal for. Anywhere else they are by far one of the most compromised driving experiences, and yet, one of the most popular mall crawlers sold.
Cars have evolved, albeit slowly, over the years. I own a '66 Shelby Cobra. Every time I drive it I'm reminded how bad cars were 50+ years ago: unsafe, no power brakes, power steering, ABS, traction control, airbags, etc. It's a vehicle whose only purpose is to try to kill you. With all the sound and fury, it's a blast to drive and make me laugh out loud, and it's satisfying to have cheated death one more time every time I pull it back into the garage :-).
The following 3 users liked this post by AlexOz:
flygdchman (04-23-2023), MingusDew (04-24-2023), whiz944 (04-24-2023)
Old 04-23-2023 | 09:32 PM
flygdchman
Instructor

Originally Posted by AlexOz
Cars have evolved, albeit slowly, over the years. I own a '66 Shelby Cobra. Every time I drive it I'm reminded how bad cars were 50+ years ago: unsafe, no power brakes, power steering, ABS, traction control, airbags, etc. It's a vehicle whose only purpose is to try to kill you. With all the sound and fury, it's a blast to drive and make me laugh out loud, and it's satisfying to have cheated death one more time every time I pull it back into the garage :-).
You sound like Jeremy Clarkson describing a Mercedes C63 with traction control off as an "Ax murderer with headlights"
The following users liked this post:
AlexOz (04-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Long Term Owners