Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more Burmester but the return of the Bose??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 12:14 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Default No more Burmester but the return of the Bose??

When I sent my sales dude my new CT4 build I had reluctantly included Burmester because I decided not to go aftermarket and Bose does not even show as available on the configurator. He emailed back with acceptance of the build, sans Burmester--another apparent supply chain/chip shortage victim. I asked him if Bose was still unavailable and he included it in the build sheet. It has not been rejected--that I know of--by Porsche.

So, is Bose back on the menu, even if not showing on the configurator?

Last edited by inkatouring; 01-11-2023 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:09 PM
CTB
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

While I can’t answer your question I will offer that the Bose is not very good; to the point I am questioning if it is working properly or something is not connected. After living with it for 6 weeks and 1,300 miles it is “tinny”, hollow, has a digitized sound, and is just kind of dull. Better than no radio at all, and less complicated than integrating an after market but if I had to do again, I’d plan to find a reputable, experienced aftermarket installer and budget for upgrades. Not a criticism of your decision, just my perspective.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:49 PM
Mr_Marty
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by CTB
While I can’t answer your question I will offer that the Bose is not very good; to the point I am questioning if it is working properly or something is not connected. After living with it for 6 weeks and 1,300 miles it is “tinny”, hollow, has a digitized sound, and is just kind of dull. Better than no radio at all, and less complicated than integrating an after market but if I had to do again, I’d plan to find a reputable, experienced aftermarket installer and budget for upgrades. Not a criticism of your decision, just my perspective.
Odd. I have the Bose in my Taycan Turbo S. Now mind you I'm not a fan of Bose products at all and actually sort of despise the brand in general. However the Bose in my Taycan sounds fantastic and rivals and maybe even beats the Burmester in my Cayenne.
The following users liked this post:
CTB (01-13-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 01:13 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,266 Posts

I selected the Premium Package on my GTS ST which has Bose so wondering if they'll keep it on there as it's part of that package.
Old 01-12-2023, 03:55 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 839 Likes on 439 Posts

same thing happened to me
Old 01-12-2023, 04:11 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

The Bose systems I've had in the last 4 Porsche's have all been fine once you turn off the synthetic "surround" sound mode and dial in the basic tone controls to match your listening style. The one Burmeister system I spent any time with did not impress and I spent a fair amount of time trying to dial it in. I found it to be far true intrusive and relied too much on DSP. Everything sounded manufactured. I suppose everyone's ear is different. Neither will play "loud", if that's your definition of good but there's no way in hell, to my ear, the Burmeister is worth a 10th of it's cost.

Last edited by mjw930; 01-12-2023 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:42 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
The Bose systems I've had in the last 4 Porsche's have all been fine once you turn off the synthetic "surround" sound mode and dial in the basic tone controls to match your listening style.
Surprisingly the Taycan Bose system is the opposite and really wakes up when you select surround. I had also never used it in past Porsche's but without it selected the system sounds very weak.
Old 01-12-2023, 05:06 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by smohr33
Surprisingly the Taycan Bose system is the opposite and really wakes up when you select surround. I had also never used it in past Porsche's but without it selected the system sounds very weak.
Interesting, I haven't received my Taycan yet so I'll make sure to test it instead of blindly turning it off. The Burmeister I used was in a Taycan 4S back in 2020 and it sounded very weak and "manufactured" so maybe it's the acoustics of the car that threw me off. The Bose in my 3 Boxsters, a Cayenne, a Macan and a C7 Corvette were quite enjoyable. The best systems I've heard recently (within the last decade) were the Harmon Kardon system in my SRT Jeep with the Alpine system in my RAM 1500 a close second. Perhaps it's the head units more than the amp / speaker tuning or better DSP's. All I know is the Burmeister was not on my list of systems I enjoyed and would NEVER pay the uncharge for it.
Old 01-12-2023, 05:19 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 182 Posts

I wasn't able to get the Burmester, and the Bose was also unavailable.
I've been using Beyerdynamic T1 open back headphones, but the standard audio isn't that bad, due to the low noise floor of the car.
At some point I'll have Boomer in Merrimack, NH install something like the following.
https://carhomestereo.co.uk/electric...audio-upgrade/
Old 01-14-2023, 09:43 PM
NorthStar700
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burmester Sound

The Burmester I had in my 2022 Cayenne GTS was excellent with amazing clarity. In fact, it was the most clear audio system I have heard as an audiophile. I heard detail that made listening much more engaging. The 3D sound feature is also excellent. It provides as a real spacious sound in the vehicle without losing detail. I would not buy the car without the Burmester, and it is a bargain for the sound provided. My dealer is telling me that the Burmester is currently not available but will let me know when that changes.

Last edited by NorthStar700; 01-14-2023 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Adding something
The following users liked this post:
George from MD (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 10:30 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 223 Posts

If they can't give you a Burmeister in a car they offer for hundreds of thousands of dollars I personally wouldn't bother buying it at all.

I had a Bose in an 85 Corvette. It wasn't very good. The ones I've heard lately aren't much better. Surely, Porsche, you can move on.

FWIW I own two Porsches with Burmeisters. Speaker cones made of paper do not belong in a car.

Last edited by George from MD; 01-14-2023 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2023, 04:50 PM
NorthStar700
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burmester Speakers

Burmester is using ribbon tweeters in their current offering, which are not made of paper, and that is part of what makes them so resolving. Porsche will not let you order the car with the Burmester, so it is their loss and the consumer’s given that there is no other good stereo option.

Quick Reply: No more Burmester but the return of the Bose??