Sponsored by:

Variable Light Control Roof Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 03:58 PM
allenrosner
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Variable Light Control Roof Issue

Long time lurker, first time poster. Been hanging around since I ordered my 2023 back in April which was picked up last week. Following all the threads etc has been really educational, thank you everyone for their participation. LOVE the car by the way!

Have what I think is an issue. Spec'd the variable light control roof and no matter what I do, the front most section of the roof stays matte. Selected all options, click click click, swipe swipe swipe, never goes full clear. Waiting on a call back from my dealer but I'm curious if anyone else has heard of this issue (is it even an issue?). Most of the people I've spoken with at the dealer haven't even seen the VLC roof in person so I'm not even sure they will know.

I have seen videos where the entire roof can go clear so maybe it's a 2023 thing? Most likely not, becuase it's annoying.

Any insight appreciated, picture attached for reference.

The front section remains matte, no matter what I do.

Last edited by allenrosner; 01-05-2023 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 06:05 PM
j.w.s
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't have VLC on mine, so I can't say definitevely, but all of the "smart glass" that I have played with is frosty in the default state and then clear when you apply voltage and current. So if one panel is stuck in the frosty state, then it's broken.

And here are pics from another user on another forum showing that all panels go clear: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...ictures.14243/

Last edited by j.w.s; 01-06-2023 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:30 AM
sfy1505
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a Taycan GTS on the water right now (due at the end of the month) and it has that option as well. I saw one at my dealership last week with VLC and I don't remember the one panel staying frosted. I may be at my dealer tomorrow and if they still have the car with VLC, I will check it out and get back with you.
Old 01-07-2023, 11:10 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 716 Likes on 498 Posts

I can't offer an opinion, but I am very interested in this option if when set to the transparent mode the glass is as clear as the side or front windows. From your picture it doesn't look like that is the case. Can you comment on that?
Old 01-07-2023, 07:22 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by allenrosner
H

The front section remains matte, no matter what I do.
From Porsche, entire glass is clear:

or variable

Entire glass

Old 01-09-2023, 10:34 AM
allenrosner
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by kayjh
I can't offer an opinion, but I am very interested in this option if when set to the transparent mode the glass is as clear as the side or front windows. From your picture it doesn't look like that is the case. Can you comment on that?
It is not as clear as the front/side windows. It has a tint of sorts.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:35 AM
allenrosner
3rd Gear

The response from dealer was "that doesn't look right let's get you in for a quick appointment" ... end of February is the earliest they had... yikes
Old 01-09-2023, 12:15 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

The response from dealer was "that doesn't look right let's get you in for a quick appointment" ... end of February is the earliest they had... yikes
I can only guess it is not going to be a quick appointment. How big is your dealership? This might be first one they’re even seen. Let alone troubleshoot.

Saving grace: this is one option I would love to have.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:17 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

It is not as clear as the front/side windows. It has a tint of sorts.
Fully clear. From the build your own:

Old 03-07-2023, 07:35 PM
ghsnyder
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just tried to get my order in for a GTS with Variable Light Control Sunroof, and they are telling me I can't select that option because they don't have the parts. Anyone else heard that? I'm now debating waiting to place my order when it's an available option, or proceeding without...frustrating.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:01 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,243 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by ghsnyder
I just tried to get my order in for a GTS with Variable Light Control Sunroof, and they are telling me I can't select that option because they don't have the parts. Anyone else heard that? I'm now debating waiting to place my order when it's an available option, or proceeding without...frustrating.
I placed an order for a 4S this past weekend and was told the same. I wasn’t too broken up about it, the concept is cool but the tech seems overly complicated and finicky. They might have put the stop-sale on it because of issues and they’re trying to figure it out before offering it again, but I’m speculating on that.
The following users liked this post:
ghsnyder (03-07-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 02:43 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MingusDew
…the concept is cool but the tech seems overly complicated and finicky. They might have put the stop-sale on it because of issues and they’re trying to figure it out before offering it again, but I’m speculating on that.
Agree. “Practical” LCD panels have been around since the nineties. Theoretically “simple,” but very complicated, for the price point, with larger panels (with moving/unstable platform. I.e., car sunroof compared to a LCD TV that’s mounted in a “man cave.”
The following users liked this post:
ghsnyder (03-09-2023)

Quick Reply: Variable Light Control Roof Issue