Sponsored by:

Strange lock / unlock behaviour

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 01:42 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Strange lock / unlock behaviour

Our '22 GTS ST has an issue that has stumped the dealer. With my key only, not my wife's key, when I use the sensor on the door handles to lock the door, the door locks, mirrors fold, and then it immediately unlocks and the mirrors unfold. This does not happen if I use the button on the fob to lock the car. Extended comfort access is disabled, batteries have been replaced in the key, everything has been reset, and it's still doing this. I'm assuming the transponder in my key is faulty in some way, but if that was the case then it seems like the behaviour would occur whether the handle or the key button were used to lock the doors. With my wife's key, the locking / unlocking functions normally.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Last edited by bluelines1974; 12-07-2022 at 01:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
911Stiller (12-08-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 11:24 PM
2022992guy
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
Our '22 GTS ST has an issue that has stumped the dealer. With my key only, not my wife's key, when I use the sensor on the door handles to lock the door, the door locks, mirrors fold, and then it immediately unlocks and the mirrors unfold. This does not happen if I use the button on the fob to lock the car. Extended comfort access is disabled, batteries have been replaced in the key, everything has been reset, and it's still doing this. I'm assuming the transponder in my key is faulty in some way, but if that was the case then it seems like the behaviour would occur whether the handle or the key button were used to lock the doors. With my wife's key, the locking / unlocking functions normally.

Yep

Had dealer check it out- claim that they can't reproduce it. No surprise.

I find that having the key close to you (pant pocket) minimizes this.

Had my CT4 for 6months now and occurs infrequently after the uPdate was done.

Cheers!
Old 12-08-2022, 11:58 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

Yes, had that happen. Happens infrequently now for whatever reason. I have a stranger hiccup. If I'm in the driver's seat and wife in the passenger seat and both of us have keys, when I turn off the car and get out first, the car will turn itself back on when my wife gets out.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:48 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Our '22 GTS ST has an issue that has stumped the dealer. With my key only, not my wife's key...
Maybe I am being simplistic, if the fault happens only with your key and not your wife's key, then it is your key at fault/needs reprogramming?
Old 12-08-2022, 05:55 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Maybe I am being simplistic, if the fault happens only with your key and not your wife's key, then it is your key at fault/needs reprogramming?
You're probably right, but the issue we had is the dealer couldn’t replicate the issue when my wife dropped it off, and only really understood it at the end of the day when I went to collect the car. Need to take it back in for a resolution.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:55 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n2cars
Yes, had that happen. Happens infrequently now for whatever reason. I have a stranger hiccup. If I'm in the driver's seat and wife in the passenger seat and both of us have keys, when I turn off the car and get out first, the car will turn itself back on when my wife gets out.
We have also had this same issue.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:41 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,041 Posts

You’re standing too close to the car, or walking towards it while locking it. It gets confused.
stand further back and walk away, it shouldn’t happen again
Old 12-08-2022, 09:42 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 1,041 Posts

ps 100% reproducible.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:24 AM
dashanin
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Yep, had this issue on our 2022 CT4 and it took a while to understand the root cause. One of the door sensors is bad and needs to be replaced - your dealer should be able to diagnose which one. They will have to replace the whole door handle assembly and it may take 6-8 weeks to get the part, paint it and install it. So glad we finally took care of that as it was driving me and my wife crazy the erratic locking and unlocking. Good luck!
bluelines1974 (12-14-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 12:25 PM
Ktaylor8303
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, I had the exact same issue with my 2022 Taycan Turbo S. I went to the dealership and they took the door apart and determined it was a sensor in the door, which they have now placed an order for the new sensor. It’s on back order and with be up to 12 weeks to get it. Take your car to the dealership and ask them to test the sensor in handle, which requires to take the door apart and window off. Also be aware, when they took my window off, ensure the window is put on correctly as my dealership didn’t reinstall the window correctly and it started to whistle when going speeds higher that 60kms per hour, so I had to take it back again for them to reinstall the window correctly, which was frustrating.

Last edited by Ktaylor8303; 12-09-2022 at 12:26 PM.
bluelines1974 (12-14-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 12:35 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
You’re standing too close to the car, or walking towards it while locking it. It gets confused.
stand further back and walk away, it shouldn’t happen again
No, I'm not doing either of those things. How could I be walking towards it while locking it if I'm using the handle to lock the car? This only happens when the handle is touched, not when the key is used, and I do not have Extended Comfort Access enabled.
Old 12-09-2022, 06:21 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 250 Posts

Happens on my car too. Perhaps another bad sensor.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:38 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dashanin
Yep, had this issue on our 2022 CT4 and it took a while to understand the root cause. One of the door sensors is bad and needs to be replaced - your dealer should be able to diagnose which one. They will have to replace the whole door handle assembly and it may take 6-8 weeks to get the part, paint it and install it. So glad we finally took care of that as it was driving me and my wife crazy the erratic locking and unlocking. Good luck!
Somehow I missed this post. Thanks, this sounds like it's the resolution I'll need.
dashanin (12-14-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 04:39 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ktaylor8303
yes, I had the exact same issue with my 2022 Taycan Turbo S. I went to the dealership and they took the door apart and determined it was a sensor in the door, which they have now placed an order for the new sensor. It’s on back order and with be up to 12 weeks to get it. Take your car to the dealership and ask them to test the sensor in handle, which requires to take the door apart and window off. Also be aware, when they took my window off, ensure the window is put on correctly as my dealership didn’t reinstall the window correctly and it started to whistle when going speeds higher that 60kms per hour, so I had to take it back again for them to reinstall the window correctly, which was frustrating.
Thanks, I'll be sure to keep an eye on the window issue as well.
Old 12-14-2022, 05:53 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Ktaylor8303
yes, I had the exact same issue with my 2022 Taycan Turbo S. I went to the dealership and they took the door apart and determined it was a sensor in the door, ...
Curious: if the door sensor is at fault, how come it works for his wife's key?

Quick Reply: Strange lock / unlock behaviour