Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up CT4 next month, road trip to Grand Canyon or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2022 | 01:45 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Default Picking up CT4 next month, road trip to Grand Canyon or not?

Hey Boys and Girls, I'm picking up a CT4 next month from Porsche Albuquerque and wonder if I should just drive it back to Los Angeles alone or bring the family and make a Grand Canyon road trip out of it. I was looking to do LA->Vegas->GC->LA a few years back in a Tesla Model S 90D (270 miles real world range) and wasn't brave enough to do it. Looks like the Taycan will have similar range so can someone who has utilized Electrify America chargers around the AZ and Grand Canyon area give me some advise? The EA chargers in Southern CA have been good but I've read too many horror stories of these chargers not getting maintained in many suburban and rural areas so seeing chargers on a map doesn't always mean they'd work fine when I get there and want to charge in a hurry.
Old 10-09-2022 | 02:11 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Was just thru that way transporting my 992 to the east coast and agree was not brave enough to do my Taycan CT4 that route. My SA advised against it also unless I had plenty of time available for the trip. If you stick to the main routes of travel you should be fine. Plenty of Tesla Superchargers in the area as you've noted and most of the EA network seems to be married to Walmart parking lots so until the new infrastructure bill takes shape in 12-24-36 mos and starts dropping EA chargers right next to these Tesla ones...long distance travel will still be doable but take a bit or planning. I think in the GC area Flagstaff will be your best bet for charging and if you ensure you've got a full charge and re-run the mileage first you should be fine. Just be advised there is A LOT of open spaces between Albuquerque and Flagstaff and Phoenix and Tucson areas where you plan to travel thru so do ensure you really understand your routes and charger availability. Final bit of advice may be to take advantage of the ability to charge at your overnight stops/hotels. Some now have build in charging for one or two cars while others may have outlets you can utilize to charge overnight albeit on level 1 (110v) charging...but at that point...each bit/volt counts! LOL. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2022 | 03:45 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Enter your trip into ABetterRoutePlanner and play with the numbers: https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

Also, check out plugshare for various charging possibilities: https://www.plugshare.com/

Last edited by whiz944; 10-09-2022 at 03:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ABVW (10-09-2022)
Old 10-15-2022 | 07:28 PM
edkwon
Racer

Originally Posted by bli8
Hey Boys and Girls, I'm picking up a CT4 next month from Porsche Albuquerque and wonder if I should just drive it back to Los Angeles alone or bring the family and make a Grand Canyon road trip out of it. I was looking to do LA->Vegas->GC->LA a few years back in a Tesla Model S 90D (270 miles real world range) and wasn't brave enough to do it. Looks like the Taycan will have similar range so can someone who has utilized Electrify America chargers around the AZ and Grand Canyon area give me some advise? The EA chargers in Southern CA have been good but I've read too many horror stories of these chargers not getting maintained in many suburban and rural areas so seeing chargers on a map doesn't always mean they'd work fine when I get there and want to charge in a hurry.
Yeah have fun with your road trip, it's not as if your route will be way off the beaten path 👍🏼
Old 10-16-2022 | 01:01 AM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Turned out the Sourth Rim is only an hour's drive from HWY 40 with plenty of EA chargers along the way so I feel quite confident charging will not be an issue. Car is 26 days from arriving at the dealership, can't wait.
Old 10-16-2022 | 12:34 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Turned out the Sourth Rim is only an hour's drive from HWY 40 with plenty of EA chargers along the way so I feel quite confident charging will not be an issue. Car is 26 days from arriving at the dealership, can't wait.
alllow for 20-30% less range if temps are 40F or lower - big hit to overall range due to cold weather…just FYI - also if battery is "cold" fast charging will be "less fast" - quite a bit "less fast"...
Old 10-16-2022 | 12:40 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

doesn't look too bad - for this trip I'd make sure to have the following:
  • mobile EVSE with you (the Porsche one with the car will do)
  • NEMA 14-50 power supply cable - standard w/Porsche EVSE included with the vehicle
  • NEMA 6-50 to 14-50 adapter ($30 or less from Amazon)
  • TeslaTap or similar (so you can use Tesla chargers at hotels and such - NOT superchargers)
  • membership w/ChargePoint, Blink, EVGo, Electrify America
  • makes sure to Test a FastCharging station locally before hitting the road so you are familiar with the process and have all the app's setup
  • more data on road warrior EV road trip kit here - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...ging-kit.6812/
this is plug-share for the general area lots of slow/fast charging options - little planning and it should go well - orange pins are "fast chargers" - green pins are "L2" chargers - there is good coverage all around Grand Canyon - and an actual fast charger coming to Grand Canyon "soon" - probably next spring if I had to guess

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 10-16-2022 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2022 | 11:43 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
  • makes sure to Test a FastCharging station locally before hitting the road so you are familiar with the process and have all the app's setup

I would highly empathize that. With mine, the first drive out of the showroom, charging: I thought it was just like plugging in any appliance…a high power clothes drier.

Well it isn’t.

Imagine everything that can go wrong. Chargers not working, app giving wrong info, dodgy neighborhoods, plug not fitting, cables too short, car not communicating with charger, all chargers occupied, including 350kW with 10kW Bolts the list goes on and on.
daveo4porsche (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022 | 01:12 AM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G7

I would highly empathize that. With mine, the first drive out of the showroom, charging: I thought it was just like plugging in any appliance…a high power clothes drier.

Well it isn’t.

Imagine everything that can go wrong. Chargers not working, app giving wrong info, dodgy neighborhoods, plug not fitting, cables too short, car not communicating with charger, all chargers occupied, including 350kW with 10kW Bolts the list goes on and on.
Thanks to everyone who gave advise, very valuable advise.
I'll make sure Plug and Charge is setup properly before even leaving the dealership, and do a test charge at an EA station close by. I already have an EA account for my Ford F150 Lightning that has Plug and Charge capability and a Polestar 2 Performance.
The CT4 will be my sixth EV and hopefully the best driving and hopefully I'll get to charge at 350kW stations most of the time.
daveo4porsche (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022 | 12:32 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

…Ford F150 …
The CT4 will be my sixth EV and hopefully the best driving ….
You are hoping a Porsche will be a better drive than a F-150?
Me thinketh your standards are too high.

Quick Reply: Picking up CT4 next month, road trip to Grand Canyon or not?