Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check your settings - overnight OTA "fixed" your PMCC - your Taycan will take 2x time

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2022 | 08:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Poor design is the issue, exaggerated with other poor installations. Fix is a band aid. They should refund or replace these.

I have a have a hard wired Chargepoint
125 ft from main panel to garage sub panel to the evse
60a breaker and 6ga thhn from main panel to garage
50a breaker and 6ga thhn about 20ft from sub panel to charger hard wired
Measured temps after 2 hours
I have charger at 40a
The wire and connections and conduits barely get over ambient. The 60a breaker just over ambient. The 50a breaker in sub panel about 100f is the hottest part of the chain.

Cmon Porsche this is not hard to get right.
The following 6 users liked this post by Spyerx:
daveo4porsche (09-30-2022), DKP 97 C2 Coupe (10-01-2022), Drifting (10-01-2022), earl pottinger (10-01-2022), Needsdecaf (10-03-2022), whiz944 (10-01-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-30-2022 | 09:02 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Poor design is the issue, exaggerated with other poor installations. Fix is a band aid. They should refund or replace these.

Cmon Porsche this is not hard to get right.
I agree.
Old 10-01-2022 | 08:34 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's a six figure car. If you need a 40A EVSE for your home, you can buy one from Lowes or Home Depot. My 40A Lectron cost me less than $400.
As a portable EVSE, the PMCC is totally fine.

The freak out over this safety update is disproportionate to the problem. People adding outlets themselves and not following code is the root cause here. Porsche setting lower defaults is in response to Americans doing this stuff half-*** in their homes. All Porsche has done is lower the defaults.

Like other EV makers, you can expect Porsche to stop including EVSE hardware, like Tesla and Hyundai have already done. It's not a business that any of these automakers want to be in.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
Der-Schwabe (10-01-2022), thebishman (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022 | 10:43 AM
earl pottinger
Racer

Default Charger really

Originally Posted by Drifting
Wow, all of this makes me glad to still be driving my Tesla M3P

I hope Porsche figures out all of these basic charging and other many software issues before the electric Cayman that I've been waiting for.

Otherwise, I may have to choose another EV manufacturer (which understands the high school level physics involved).
Sounds like instead you can get your Porsche, but will have to get your charger from some other company. If the Porsche charger is included in the car's purchase price maybe you can refuse it to get a discount.

Earl Colby Pottinger (BEV Lover)
Old 10-01-2022 | 10:55 AM
earl pottinger
Racer

Default Wiring

Originally Posted by whiz944
When I bought my house back in the 1990s, I tested every receptacle for polarity and where possible, proper safety grounding. Found and fixed a number of problems. I also replaced every switch in the house. Some of the old ones literally crumbled in my hand as I removed them. It is a wonder the house didn't burn down on the previous owner.
When my mom bought her condo in Florida, she wanted the living room light changed. I found problems in it's installation so I checked the other plugs/wiring.

I found so many mistakes that I had to fix. Remember I had only a Canadian high school electric course, but even there I learn the correct direction a wire was placed when you screw it in, or that you connect the grounding wire not just leave it floating in the air while the switch is in a metal receptacle box too, or have heavy items like over-head fans need the safety line attracted.

There are a lot of sloppy installations out there.

Earl Colby Pottinger (BEV lover)
The following users liked this post:
whiz944 (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022 | 11:52 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
It's a six figure car. If you need a 40A EVSE for your home, you can buy one from Lowes or Home Depot. My 40A Lectron cost me less than $400.

The freak out over this safety update is disproportionate to the problem. People adding outlets themselves and not following code is the root cause here. Porsche setting lower defaults is in response to Americans doing this stuff half-*** in their homes. All Porsche has done is lower the defaults.

Like other EV makers, you can expect Porsche to stop including EVSE hardware, like Tesla and Hyundai have already done. It's not a business that any of these automakers want to be in.
some peple have crappy installed no question

so it's ok to Porsche to change the specifications of the unit for everyone

the unit does/can/has oveheat running at spec in situations where the install is not crappy/flaky

in my picture the temps of the supply cord are ridiculous on a well done over spec install - the unit still fails to operate correctly even when there is not an install issue

I understand why Porsche nerf'd the unit - they can't perform at their specified level - that's a defective product and should be remedied - not simply have the spec's lowered and no instructions as to how to get a unit that can perform the job.

Porsche documents that the Taycan has a 9.6 kW charge rate and it would take 9.5 hours to charge the vehicle from 0-100% - but it now can not be done with their charger - because it overheats.

What is the remedy Porsche?
earl pottinger (10-01-2022)
Old 10-03-2022 | 09:51 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

People adding outlets themselves and not following code is the root cause here. Porsche setting lower defaults is in response to Americans doing this stuff half-*** in their homes. All Porsche has done is lower the defaults.
Wrong.

Porsche supplied a device rated at 40 Amps. It does not maintain proper operating temperature when running at 40 amps. And their device is the most expensive portable EVSE on the market. End of story.

Now, should you be using your portable EVSE to charge your EV every night? Why not? As long as it's rated properly and plugged into a professionally installed outlet, there should be zero problem. But there is, because Porsche screwed up. This has NOTHING to do with anyone half-assing an install. This is completely because of an EVSE issue. I know for a fact that @daveo4porsche has had his setup professionally done. He's owned multiple EV's with zero issues. Until this PMCC comes along and gets super hot. So you want to blame half *** install for the issue? Come on. Same goes for most people on this board. I'm sure that the vast majority aren't "half assing" the NEMA 14-50 plug install. Because if they were, the wiring in their wall would be what is getting hot, not the PMCC.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 10-03-2022 at 09:54 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
daveo4porsche (10-03-2022), DKP 97 C2 Coupe (10-03-2022), earl pottinger (10-03-2022), XLR82XS (10-06-2022)
Old 10-03-2022 | 09:47 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

many of us find it objectionable when we are swindled. it has zero to do with what we can afford/
Needsdecaf (10-05-2022)
Old 10-04-2022 | 07:51 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kort677
many of us find it objectionable when we are swindled. it has zero to do with what we can afford/
$15k for FSD is a swindle. A safety update that changes the defaults for chargers is not.
Der-Schwabe (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022 | 10:46 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

While I agree with your assertion that buying a better EVSE and moving on is the best course of action, I disagree with blaming the victims here.

My outlet was added by an EV-competent electrician who also installed a Tesla EVSE for us. My Porsche PMC+ worked fine for about a year, then started to fail.
I replaced it with a wallbox - same outlet, same circuit - and the problem disappeared.

So while flaky outlets might be the issue for some, I doubt that it accounts for all the failures.
The following 2 users liked this post by DerekS:
daveo4porsche (10-04-2022), thebishman (10-04-2022)
Old 10-05-2022 | 01:30 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

$15k for FSD is a swindle. A safety update that changes the defaults for chargers is not.
yes FSD is a swindle no question

so is Porsche lowering the charging capacity of their EVSE with no adjustment or consideration is also a swindle - if there is a safety issue: collect all the units, compensate the owners, and provide recommendations for an alternative…anything else is a substandard response.

both can be true - they are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 10-05-2022 at 01:31 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
earl pottinger (10-05-2022), kort677 (10-05-2022), Needsdecaf (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022 | 09:47 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

In my secondary house, where I had he PMCC installed on the wall, but plugged into a 30A circuit, after the update, it isn't defaulting to 24A, but 12A. So the 50% cut isn't just limited to the 40A setting.
daveo4porsche (10-06-2022)
Old 10-05-2022 | 09:48 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Default Ouch

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
In my secondary house, where I had he PMCC installed on the wall, but plugged into a 30A circuit, after the update, it isn't defaulting to 24A, but 12A. So the 50% cut isn't just limited to the 40A setting.
Ouch, that will hurt you big time.

Earl Colby Pottinger (BEV Lover)

Quick Reply: check your settings - overnight OTA "fixed" your PMCC - your Taycan will take 2x time