Sponsored by:

New Taycan Turbo owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 07:01 PM
toddbe
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Taycan Turbo owner questions

I have always wanted a Porsche. I now have my first, a Taycan Turbo. My previous car was a Tesla Model S. I love my new Taycan!

I have 6 questions after doing much research….

1- Will the Taycan open and close my garage door like my Tesla based on GPS? I have added the door a couple times, still no auto open or close based on location.

2- Does the car need to connect to both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth? If so why? Does it make a difference whether it’s the Taycan 5G or the other Taycan Wi-Fi network?

3- Do you use PCM, or if you are a Apple person Carplay? Why?

4- Can you get your iPhone’s texts in PCM? If so, how?

5- It seems like Porsche Innodrive features only work when adaptive is on. Do you have to set a speed to get the features to work?

6- The exterior mirrors don’t tilt down in reverse even though I have that box checked. Is this a bug?

The car is a lot more complicated than my Tesla, but somewhat more intuitive than my wife’s BMW. Overall I love the looks, driving experience, and fit and finish. Great car. Thanks for your reading this and your help!
Old 07-24-2022, 07:09 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Originally Posted by toddbe
I have always wanted a Porsche. I now have my first, a Taycan Turbo. My previous car was a Tesla Model S. I love my new Taycan!

I have 6 questions after doing much research….

1- Will the Taycan open and close my garage door like my Tesla based on GPS? I have added the door a couple times, still no auto open or close based on location.

2- Does the car need to connect to both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth? If so why? Does it make a difference whether it’s the Taycan 5G or the other Taycan Wi-Fi network?

3- Do you use PCM, or if you are a Apple person Carplay? Why?

4- Can you get your iPhone’s texts in PCM? If so, how?

5- It seems like Porsche Innodrive features only work when adaptive is on. Do you have to set a speed to get the features to work?

6- The exterior mirrors don’t tilt down in reverse even though I have that box checked. Is this a bug?

The car is a lot more complicated than my Tesla, but somewhat more intuitive than my wife’s BMW. Overall I love the looks, driving experience, and fit and finish. Great car. Thanks for your reading this and your help!
#1 - no all it will do is pop up the door button - will not open/close automatically
#2 - there is no point in connecting to the wifi - there is no internet hotspot - you can use Wifi for Wireless carplay once it's setup
#3 - it's a personal preference - I use carplay
#4 - I've never explored this feature - I use carplay
#5 - what features?
#6 - this works for me - recommend reviewing the owner's manual - I did have trouble setting it up - but it works now.

yes the Tesla software is better - Taycan is a better mechanical device, Tesla is a better software platform - pick your poison.
Old 07-24-2022, 07:49 PM
toddbe
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
#1 - no all it will do is pop up the door button - will not open/close automatically
#2 - there is no point in connecting to the wifi - there is no internet hotspot - you can use Wifi for Wireless carplay once it's setup
#3 - it's a personal preference - I use carplay
#4 - I've never explored this feature - I use carplay
#5 - what features?
#6 - this works for me - recommend reviewing the owner's manual - I did have trouble setting it up - but it works now.

yes the Tesla software is better - Taycan is a better mechanical device, Tesla is a better software platform - pick your poison.
#5 LKA and all that stuff

one more…is there a way to save the recuperation setting? Defaults to off when I enter the car.

Thanks for all your help! From your answers I realized I can use hey Porsche and hey Siri together.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:58 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Originally Posted by toddbe
#5 LKA and all that stuff

one more…is there a way to save the recuperation setting? Defaults to off when I enter the car.

Thanks for all your help! From your answers I realized I can use hey Porsche and hey Siri together.
yes it needs to be on with a set speed.

no way to save recup settings AFAIK - but it doesn't really matter it's not a tesla - you're using full recupe everytime you use the brake pedal - friction brakes are "added" by computer when necessary - otherwise it's mostly regen.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:43 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

#3. I use PCM, Why? I spend enough time with my phone and prefer a different experience. Not using CarPlay also benefits me when I use navigation. I prefer the PCM navigation because it factors in state of charge, charging stations, preconditioning the battery, etc.
#4. Yes. I do no use CarPlay (I'm not a big fan). When I receive a new text message the PCM pops a notification and I can tap the screen to "Read out" and a voice will dictate the message. If the vehicle is stopped the Notifications icon will allow you to see the text of the notification.

Quick Reply: New Taycan Turbo owner questions