Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather range (aka MN winter)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 11:31 AM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Cold weather range (aka MN winter)

Quick question for those that have had their Taycan through a cold winter, how bad of a range hit did you have? I know I have read it averages a 40% hit for most BEVs, but is that reality? Asking because I may be moving back to Minnesota in the next year or two and trying to see what I may be in for. TIA! (I have a 4S CT on order with the 21" wheels)
Old 07-21-2022, 11:34 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 402 Likes on 237 Posts

My Audi etron experiences around a 33% reduction in range in very cold weather. Add in wind and precipitation and it’s probably 40%..
You can mitigate this somewhat by setting the interval timing to finish charging just before you leave so that the battery is warmed via the ‘charger’ along with warming the cabin whilst still plugged in.
The following users liked this post:
TXSchnee (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 03:17 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

It's really all about battery temp and heat pump usage. I'd say 30%+- but depends on how you drive. 275mi range on a warm summer day could become 200mi on a cold winter day easily.

Short trips where you start with a cold battery and the heat pump has to run hard your consumption will be really high. Longer drives where the heat pump isn't running as hard and the battery has some time to get warm it's not as bad.

Agree with @thebishman, make it habit in the winter to charge daily and end charging right before your commute so the battery has decent heat, it definitely helps.
Old 07-21-2022, 04:55 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by smohr33
It's really all about battery temp and heat pump usage. I'd say 30%+- but depends on how you drive. 275mi range on a warm summer day could become 200mi on a cold winter day easily.

Short trips where you start with a cold battery and the heat pump has to run hard your consumption will be really high. Longer drives where the heat pump isn't running as hard and the battery has some time to get warm it's not as bad.

Agree with @thebishman, make it habit in the winter to charge daily and end charging right before your commute so the battery has decent heat, it definitely helps.
Do you think a heated garage would have the same effect? I don't leave the house at a set time every day, so having it complete a charge right before I leave may be difficult.
Old 07-21-2022, 05:29 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSchnee
Do you think a heated garage would have the same effect? I don't leave the house at a set time every day, so having it complete a charge right before I leave may be difficult.
It's the charging that really heats up the pack, not so much the ambient, but the ambient will help to maintain the heat if you charge overnight.

My electricity tariff is lowest from 11PM-6AM, so my car is always set to finish charging at 6AM. Even if I'm not in the car till 9AM, the battery is still over 60-70F on cold days due to the ~9kW charge for a couple hours. Makes a big difference vs not charging and having a 30-40F pack.

The following 2 users liked this post by smohr33:
991carreradriver (07-21-2022), TXSchnee (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 06:53 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

My experience last winter in the NE was around 25% reduction. I noticed that that applied to DD. Highway miles (>100mi) was about 18%. Air density is much greater in the colder temps and has a profound effect on EV's, aircraft wings etc.
Old 07-22-2022, 11:08 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSchnee
As you back out of a warm garage in January.....you literally can watch the range 'guess-o-meter' drop like a rock. As long as you are aware of that you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Cold weather range (aka MN winter)