Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging in the rain & charging infrastructure (Electrify America)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 07:56 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
sell to Siemens is an overstatement - Siemens has/will take a minority interest in EA - not sure as to why - but that is what is happening.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/28/2...ns-ev-charging
I think the plan is to access Siemens smart technology access.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:07 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Yep. 10kW. From a 350kW. Tried two other chargers, third time was a charm.

Fortunately this place had more than three chargers working.
FWIW: you will never see your car charging at 350kw, I believe it is goverened to 270kw and you'd only see that speed if the car is very low SOC, battery pre conditioned and it will taper real quick. if you can get over 200+kw for the first 50% of SOC you are doing well.
The following users liked this post:
DerekS (07-16-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 09:16 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for the reply, the last time I looked I did not find anything, this time I got a number of videos. I do not know what I did wrong, but the videos were interesting to watch. Once again, thank you
Old 07-09-2022, 07:42 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I did a recent presentation on EV chargers at a technical industry event. I learned and presented a few things:
1. They are supposed to be designed to avoid puddles where you step. This is mostly for perception, as they should be well grounded. However, defects and stray currents will be hazardous, so puddles should be avoided.
2. Charging speeds will be reduced if other cars are charging from the same electrical equipment. The local power equipment may only be able to supply a limited amount of power. If your car isn't limiting the power charge rate, then the charger is limiting the charge rate due to other circumstances.
3. The industry is all over the place on testing the final installations. Many installations do not test the affect of full load charging (all chargers delivering full load). So they don't really know if they work when all charges are in use. They will likely just provide an awful charge rate to all cars connected.
4. Testing all the low voltage functions (monitoring, payment systems, client communication) is also poor and the service is inconsistent.

Based on what I have learned, I have extremely diminished expectations on long distance electric travel.
Agree. I don’t plan to drive an electric car on long distance trips in the future. Will always keep an ICE for that.

Still plan to use a BEV for all my daily driving and many weekend errands so I’ll use an EV for >90% of all my miles, but all longer trips will still be in an ICE, usually my 991.2 GT3.

Last edited by Drifting; 07-09-2022 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:48 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by earl pottinger
Question, I know Tesla plans to open it's chargers to non-Tesla cars in North America as they are already starting to do in Europe.
Actually the white house announced this today as they say Tesla will open up its charging network by the end of 2022 to all electric cars. Weird that the WH actually scooped Tesla.

I was already planning on swapping my Tesla M3P for an electric Cayman when that Cayman comes out in 2 years, but this news makes my Tesla even less desirable by the end of this year.

I think Tesla will regret opening up their charging network as this will make Tesla’s own cars much less desirable.

Porsche already makes a better BEV. So if any driver can utilize the Tesla network, the discerning driver will choose a Porsche BEV, and the Tesla supercharger network.

Last edited by Drifting; 07-12-2022 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2022, 05:48 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by kort677
FWIW: you will never see your car charging at 350kw, I believe it is goverened to 270kw and you'd only see that speed if the car is very low SOC, battery pre conditioned and it will taper real quick. if you can get over 200+kw for the first 50% of SOC you are doing well.
I have often experienced the 350kW. The conditions (charger + battery) have to be just right. A monsoon rainstorm and standing on a puddle of water helps.
Old 07-10-2022, 05:58 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Drifting
Actually the white house announced this today as they say Tesla will open up its charging network by the end of 2022 to all electric cars.
The White House makes many many announcements. Less said on that the better. Only to add when the Prez reads out, in his speech, the teleprompter instructions....

Porsche already makes a better BEV.
Them's Fightin' Words with Teslarati.

​​​​​​​
Old 07-10-2022, 10:36 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

I have often experienced the 350kW. The conditions (charger + battery) have to be just right. A monsoon rainstorm and standing on a puddle of water helps.
no you haven't, the car is limited to 270 max.

991carreradriver (07-10-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 08:35 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,238 Likes on 505 Posts

I have often experienced the 350kW.
Lol, well, get a picture for us next time…
Old 07-14-2022, 09:33 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Here's a great article on the charging infrastructure.

Electric cars are doomed if fast charger reliability doesn’t get better

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/07/electric-cars-are-doomed-if-fast-charger-reliability-doesnt-get-better/?comments=1

And for those not believing ...this is what happens when one runs of electrons.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:23 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

Agree. I don’t plan to drive an electric car on long distance trips in the future. Will always keep an ICE for that.

Still plan to use a BEV for all my daily driving and many weekend errands so I’ll use an EV for >90% of all my miles, but all longer trips will still be in an ICE, usually my 991.2 GT3.
For those of us who can afford multiple cars, that works well. When we travel long distance, I do a cannonball run, and stops are short and efficient. Half hour or more stops will never happen and sharing the driving allows long distance in a single day. I need 400 miles of range at a steady 80 mph and a full charge in no more than 15 minutes...tops. Does that car exist with an all electric powertrain?
Old 07-14-2022, 11:44 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

Here's a great article on the charging infrastructure.

Electric cars are doomed if fast charger reliability doesn’t get better

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/07/electric-cars-are-doomed-if-fast-charger-reliability-doesnt-get-better/?comments=1

And for those not believing ...this is what happens when one runs of electrons.
It is almost as if the legacy automakers who refused to help support the Supercharger network, and came up with the botched CCS design instead, wanted EVs to fail...
Old 07-14-2022, 11:54 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

For those of us who can afford multiple cars, that works well. When we travel long distance, I do a cannonball run, and stops are short and efficient. Half hour or more stops will never happen and sharing the driving allows long distance in a single day. I need 400 miles of range at a steady 80 mph and a full charge in no more than 15 minutes...tops. Does that car exist with an all electric powertrain?
I guess a Lucid Air would qualify with its 500 EPA mile range. But frankly, a 2021-2022 Model S Long Range (~400 EPA miles) would be fine - and holds the current NYC-LA EV cannonball record. Heck - I've done over 750 miles in a day in my Model 3 Long Range (RWD with aero wheels) solo. That is about my limit even in an ICE car.

When EV road tripping in an optimal fashion, one doesn't do a full charge at intermediate stops. Takes too long. That last 10-20% takes an eternity.

Last edited by whiz944; 07-15-2022 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:47 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

It exists in the lucid air, but that car costs as much as both a model 3 and a 911 and personally, I'd rather have that combo over a lucid.

I definitely would not want to own only an EV as my one and only car unless I lived in a very EV friendly area, and I didn't enjoy weekend trips. But neither of those apply to me, so I think it makes more sense to buy a reasonably priced EV as your daily drives that does 90% of your miles, including errands and other non recreational activities. But you'll still keep one or two ICE for long trips, hauling things, and hauling people.

My Tesla model 3 performance and my 991.2 GT3 are my only cars, and perfect for me.

I'm single, but I would think a good set up for most middle class families would be two inexpensive EVs ( one for mom and one for dad, (if they both work)), and then an SUV for family activities and family trips.
Tiny carbon footprint, charge only at home, lots of instant torque for daily driving, much cheaper than gas, but the family does haven't have to deal with stopping all the time on trips, broken chargers, and inability to tow boats, gear, and travel trailers

Last edited by Drifting; 07-15-2022 at 01:49 AM.
whiz944 (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 11:34 AM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Design

Originally Posted by whiz944
It is almost as if the legacy automakers who refused to help support the Supercharger network, and came up with the botched CCS design instead, wanted EVs to fail...
I don't think CCS in itself is a botched design, but rather how the legacy automakers support it is the real problem.

Like Tesla, they could have forked out the money to install them themselves (making sure there are no gaps in major routes) and like gas stations around the world they could have design *ALL* the chargers to take credit cards.

Earl Colby Pottinger (BEVs lover)

Quick Reply: Charging in the rain & charging infrastructure (Electrify America)