Sponsored by:

Regeneration settings

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 10:07 PM
2022992guy
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Regeneration settings

Anyone know how to save the regeneration mode on a Taycan without sports chrono?

I keep having to turn on regeneration with each start up.

Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
dashanin (05-26-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 10:37 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

no way to do this - it's by design that you can't save the regen settings…honestly it doesn't matter - regen is always "ON" - and used when applying the brake pedal - the Taycan "blends" the friction brakes in as "needed" during all deceleration - most street-normal graceful stops will be handled entirely by regen with no/little friction brake usage - I believe after some time "sitting unused" the Taycan also favors the friction brakes after start up to "clean" the rotors…but after a few stops you will be back to mostly regen with brake pedal usage.

Porsche suggest that over the useful life of your Taycan 90% of it's deceleration will be handled entirely by Regen - this is also reflected in their factory maintenance service schedule - there is no milage recommendation - and they expect the "shelf" life of the parts to expire prior to any actual wear - with brake pads and rotors being inspected and potentially replaced after 6 years - but I believe that's expected to apply to the pads more than the rotors…

it's all automatic and taken care of for you.

the "Regen" button is _NOT_ regeneration - but rather "auto regen" will gives the car permission to maintain distance when "coasting" by using regen to maintain a gap between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you…I would not rely on this to avoid rear ending the vehicle in front of you - it's Porsche's half assed attempt at an option one pedal driving where you get "lift off" regen - but they neuter it to the point of ineffectiveness - it's also disabled in sports mode which I agree with 100% - but honestly there should just be a "full one pedal driving" option in settings and maybe activated by this steering wheel button.

with the latest software updates - I've noted that the auto-regen is no longer on/off while under ACC or Innodrive - I believe that is because it's pointless - the car already uses regen as part of "blended" braking when the vehicle decelerates under ACC/InnoDrive control…

frankly I consider the "auto regen" button performance theater - the car's going to use Regen when it can/should use Regen - and it's going to use friction brakes when it can/should - you as the driver in this case have very little actual control - and regen can neither be "enabled" or "disabled" on the Taycan

it just "is" what it is

completely under Porsche's vehicle software controls.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 05-26-2022 at 02:34 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
detansinn (05-28-2022), n2cars (06-02-2022), OmniBlade (05-26-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 10:47 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

more information can be found in the "good to know" app downloaded from the appstore - or in your Taycan's manual

consult the topic Energy Recovery (recuperation) for Porsche's best effort at explaining their thinking in this space…

OmniBlade (05-26-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 10:48 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

OmniBlade (05-26-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 07:39 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
no way to do this - it's by design that you can't save the regen settings…honestly it doesn't matter - regen is always "ON" - and used when applying the brake pedal -
...the "Regen" button is _NOT_ regeneration - but rather "auto regen" will gives the car permission to maintain distance when "coasting" by using regen to maintain a gap between your vehicle and the ...- it's Porsche's half assed attempt at an option one pedal driving where you get "lift off" regen ...completely under Porsche's vehicle software controls.
Also, auto regen tends to be too aggressive. Apparently it measures how fast one takes the foot off the accelerator to dynamically sync regeneration. In theory, one pedal driving.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:28 PM
gnop1950
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

When I first picked up my car I was turning regen on because it seemed more natural, like engine braking, when I lifted my foot off the go pedal (not going to call it a gas pedal ). After a couple of days, I decided to try it without. It took me about 10 miles of driving to become perfectly comfortable with coasting. So now I don't ever even look at the regeneration settings and just leave it up to the car and blended braking.
The following 2 users liked this post by gnop1950:
detansinn (05-28-2022), Dr. G7 (05-28-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 09:30 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by gnop1950
When I first picked up my car I was turning regen on because it seemed more natural, like engine braking, when I lifted my foot off the go pedal (not going to call it a gas pedal ). After a couple of days, I decided to try it without. It took me about 10 miles of driving to become perfectly comfortable with coasting. So now I don't ever even look at the regeneration settings and just leave it up to the car and blended braking.
Exactly. It takes a little while to get used to it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. G7:
detansinn (05-28-2022), gnop1950 (05-28-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 10:31 PM
2022992guy
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Also, auto regen tends to be too aggressive. Apparently it measures how fast one takes the foot off the accelerator to dynamically sync regeneration. In theory, one pedal driving.
Originally Posted by gnop1950

Thanks for the feedback folks!

After a few days with regeneration on auto, I found it a bit aggressive and leaves a significant distance between cars.

I am learning to enjoy coasting.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2022992guy:
detansinn (06-01-2022), gnop1950 (05-31-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 08:06 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,178 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Coasting is the way.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:24 AM
outie
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by detansinn
Coasting is the way.
Yet recup is default to On under Sport and Sport+ modes.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:23 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
It doesn't.

The auto regen is set to provide a max of 0.1g of deceleration only. At lower speed to green bar is short simply because there isn't less energy to be captured. At higher speed the green bar is much longer but only because there is more energy to be captured even at only 0.1g.

I set my joker button on the steering wheel to turn in on/off.

The best use for it is to hold speed going down hill without keep tapping the brakes. But it is still too powerful for all but the steepest hills as I will need to maintain some gas pedal applications to not slow down too much.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:36 PM
outie
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
It doesn't.

The auto regen is set to provide a max of 0.1g of deceleration only. At lower speed to green bar is short simply because there isn't less energy to be captured. At higher speed the green bar is much longer but only because there is more energy to be captured even at only 0.1g.

I set my joker button on the steering wheel to turn in on/off.

The best use for it is to hold speed going down hill without keep tapping the brakes. But it is still too powerful for all but the steepest hills as I will need to maintain some gas pedal applications to not slow down too much.
I like going downhill with regen and foot on accel to speed up/maintain speed. Been like that since 2016 driving Teslas. I don't like the car keep gaining speed going downhill and exceeding speed limit.

Quick Reply: Regeneration settings