Sponsored by:

PPF + or - ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 12:50 AM
2022992guy
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default PPF + or - ceramic coating

I have decided to go with a front protection package with Xpel PPF on my long awaited Taycan CT... arriving in a couple of months.

Wondering if others have done ceramic coating + PPF and if they have any opinions on doing both.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:13 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 448 Posts

Full body Xpel Ultimate w/headlights & GTECHNIQ HALO coating. It's not the front that's vulnerable - but the rear door "hips" and even the doors. (I had paint chips in all 4 doors my Panamera. pre-owned) You'd be surprised where damage can occur. With the complete body wrapped I don't have to worry about clear coat fine scratches and/or love marks. Super easy to touch-up between washes and ALWAYS looks like it just came out of the factory. PPF and coating is a must have for daily driven machines that an owner cares about.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:41 AM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by 2022992guy
I have decided to go with a front protection package with Xpel PPF on my long awaited Taycan CT... arriving in a couple of months.

Wondering if others have done ceramic coating + PPF and if they have any opinions on doing both.

Thanks in advance.
I do the front protection package and ceramic (GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra) on all of mine. I haven't seen as much damage to the rear hips outside of where the factory installed film is placed (that includes the 3 911s I've had over the past 6 years). I would not argue against a full body wrap, as I personally believe in getting the protection and not regretting things later. But when I started all of this, the "baseline" was the front "bra" which was like the front half of the hood and the front bumper. Not only was that inadequate, it looked ridiculous. So full front was considered a lot then - and I found it to be adequate. Bottom line is do both PPF and ceramic, and do your homework on which PPF package best suits your needs.

Last edited by dgtarga; 01-24-2022 at 10:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dgtarga:
Der-Schwabe (01-24-2022), XLR82XS (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 12:59 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,553 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Yes I've done both. They are two different things.

PPF - physical barrier that helps prevent damage from debris.
Ceramic Coating - very fancy, longer-lasting product that helps keep the car shiny, repel dirt, but does NOTHING to prevent physical damage.

Ceramic coatings are great in making your car easier to clean, keeping it shiny, and delaying swirls from towel marks when washing. IMO for a daily driven car, it's a godsend. But it doesn't do what PPF does, and vice versa.
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
AlexCeres (01-27-2022), itrsteve (01-25-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 04:47 PM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

While the PPF serves as the protective foundation for your vehicles paint with regards to impact damage, there is definitely an advantage to putting a ceramic coating over the PPF and, in the case of partial PPF, the 'bare' areas of the finish as well.

Some information regarding the benefits of ceramic coatings can be found in our thread in the Car Care SubForum: ESOTERIC FAQ: Ceramic Coatings - Are they for you?

Additional information regarding some considerations when pondering PPF can be found here: Paint Protection Film (PPF) - General info, installation considerations and more... which also links to a video explaining the differences:

Should I get PPF or Ceramic Coatings

Should if fit your needs and wants, PPF + Ceramic coating is about as good as it gets when it comes to protecting and preserving your vehicle.

A gallery of pictures from a recent Porsche Taycan project; This vehicle received Paint Protection Film, Window Tint, and Wheel Coating services.
HRE Wheels . Vossen Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube

Last edited by Esoteric_Detail; 01-24-2022 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:16 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

Can’t imagine driving my Taycan this time of year in the Northeast without PPF. Roads and covered in salt and sand, the protection is 100% worth it.

The following 2 users liked this post by smohr33:
Der-Schwabe (01-25-2022), XLR82XS (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 09:01 PM
2022992guy
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dgtarga
I do the front protection package and ceramic (GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra) on all of mine. I haven't seen as much damage to the rear hips outside of where the factory installed film is placed (that includes the 3 911s I've had over the past 6 years). I would not argue against a full body wrap, as I personally believe in getting the protection and not regretting things later. But when I started all of this, the "baseline" was the front "bra" which was like the front half of the hood and the front bumper. Not only was that inadequate, it looked ridiculous. So full front was considered a lot then - and I found it to be adequate. Bottom line is do both PPF and ceramic, and do your homework on which PPF package best suits your needs.

👌👍

Thanks

Cherry Red Metallic on the Taycan? Looks nice

Quick Reply: PPF + or - ceramic coating