Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Fix it, sell it or keep it?
Fix it and keep it?
28.89%
Fix it and trade it for a new Taycan?
31.11%
Fix it and trade it for an ICE?
28.89%
Blow it up with dynamite and post it on TikTok?
11.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

“God syndrome?”

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022 | 07:06 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

The stranger with the 90s SUV who provided hazard lights when yours were dead may have prevented serious injury or even death. It’s comforting to know that people like that still exist. I hope you at least thanked him/her profusely.

Glad you’re ok.
The following users liked this post:
Sajan (01-15-2022)
Old 01-16-2022 | 05:12 AM
Odin
Racer

Originally Posted by Drifting
because there are other issues, like sudden failure of the charging network I mentioned above that don't apply to gas stations, as they all have generator backups to run the gas pumps, or if the highways are closed due to weather and you cant take backroads due to lack of charging options.

Simply put a BEV is a bad idea for your one and only car unless you live in a major city, charge at home, and never go on long road trips, particularly in the winter.
However it still makes plenty of sense to utilize a BEV for a daily driver as part of a larger stable.
If I can’t run my BEV like I did with my ICE, n other words if I have to take consideration to where and when and how I use it, I’m simply not interested in owning such a car. I shelled out for an expensive EV with long range, excellent dynamics and the promise of a ultra fast charging network (Ionity). So far my battery health has dropped to 93% (September), nothing has changed with the charging network on my commute, and only still 50kW chargers, and the car bricked on me with a defective rear motor. This wouldn’t have happened with a diesel/petrol Cayenne/Macan or Panamera. I love having a petrol station in my garage and not pay any road tolls, and I love the comfort of the Taycan, but it is unacceptable to me to have to make concessions (is that the right word?) on how I use my car.
Old 01-16-2022 | 05:20 AM
Odin
Racer

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
The stranger with the 90s SUV who provided hazard lights when yours were dead may have prevented serious injury or even death. It’s comforting to know that people like that still exist. I hope you at least thanked him/her profusely.

Glad you’re ok.
Oh yes I did! He stayed with us for 90 minutes and truly saved the day! A true hero. Funny thing is when I asked to wire him some money, he told me he was hiding from the IRS and they didn’t know he was in the country after him fleeing to Dubai some years ago after they caught him doing shady business. All cash now, no bank accounts, nothing electronic to trace him. I live my life without cash money, so I couldn’t do anything on that mountain beside shake his hand and wish him the best of luck in his ordeals and thank him from the bottom of my heart with tears in my eyes he saved us from a difficult situation getting much, much worse.

So the scoundrel saved the day! Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.
The following 3 users liked this post by Odin:
Dr. G7 (02-12-2022), Noah Fect (02-13-2022), whiz944 (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022 | 12:09 PM
German1967
Pro

Sorry to the OP to live through this. Of course, you can also get badly stranded in an ICE Car.

For me, however, this story just confirms my hesitation to own an EV at this point. Eventually I’ll get one when the bugs have been worked out.

I guess for me that will be around 2030…
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (02-12-2022)
Old 01-16-2022 | 01:17 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Default Small disagreement

because there are other issues, like sudden failure of the charging network I mentioned above that don't apply to gas stations, as they all have generator backups to run the gas pumps, or if the highways are closed due to weather and you cant take backroads due to lack of charging options.
While I agree gas stations can have their own generator, the last time there was a major power failure here in Ontario, Canada I would say about three quarters of the stations could not pump gas.

Notice, my guess is not just so many did not have generators, but even of the ones that did - many did not do regular maintenance on their own units. Imagine a generator left alone for ten or more years and then suddenly you expect it to run the three days we had a power outage.

And I would not be taking those back roads either, stations get far few and you can't count on them having a working generator either (while admitting they more likely used them and maintain them).

Earl Colby Pottinger (BEVs lover)
Old 02-01-2022 | 03:38 AM
Odin
Racer

Car has been fixed now. New RDU put in.

the poll was split evenly on what to do with it. It’s be decided to sell it and it’s off to the PC I’m buying my new ICE Porsche from today. They’ll sell it commission free for me listed at a decent price so I’m probably almost out no money on the Taycan which has been a wonderful experience up til this point. But after a 93% battery status report in September and now this catastrophic failure going home from Christmas vacation, I don’t feel OK hanging on to it no more.

Take care you Taycanistas🥰
Old 02-01-2022 | 07:35 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Simply put a BEV is a bad idea for your one and only car unless you live in a major city, charge at home, and never go on long road trips, particularly in the winter.
However it still makes plenty of sense to utilize a BEV for a daily driver as part of a larger stable.

I wouldn't bet on gas stations having generator backups to run the pumps. Cedar Rapids Iowa experienced an inland Hurricane (Deracho), all the gas stations were down due to power being out. I was charging at a supercharger in North Platte, NE while driving to Vail to go skiing. Power at the Bosselman's Travel Plaza went out. All pumps were dead as well as the supercharger. No backup power for the pumps or anything. Power to part of the area came on several hours later, including the Supercharger, excluding the fuel pumps. I was on my way buy an ICE car/truck was stuck.
Old 02-12-2022 | 07:02 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by German1967
Sorry to the OP to live through this. Of course, you can also get badly stranded in an ICE Car.

For me, however, this story just confirms my hesitation to own an EV at this point. Eventually I’ll get one when the bugs have been worked out.

I guess for me that will be around 2030…
I just did a 1500 mile trip, rural roads and interstates. Any vehicles, EV or not could die. My ICE Cayenne did.

Lesson learnt: Porsche Assist is useless. Utterly and completely useless.

Interestingly there is You Tube video with a new Rolls Royce owner phoning up Rolls Royce assist. They get BMW assist. OK, I get that; BMW owns Rolls Royce.
BMW assist says, "phone Rolls Royce Monday." It was Friday. Over the weekend, the driver would have been stranded. Rolls Royce. Hmmm .

Quick Reply: “God syndrome?”