Sponsored by:

taycan battery not charging as well

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 02:02 PM
lexbro
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default taycan battery not charging as well

4000 miles on the odometer and a charging profile of 85% used--I used to get 280 plus miles charging to 85% Now, only about 250...if this general trend continues, things don't look so good..has anyone else experienced this kind of drop? Ambient temp is 70 degrees on average.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:14 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

range is a not a fixed measurement of battery capacity - it reflects range estimated based on past driving characteristics - also as temperatures drop you can experience a 30% loss of range due to a number of factors

bottom line your battery is _NOT_ losing capacity - your relative consumption is changing due to weather and driving behavior…the range meter will bounce all over the place - it does not indicate the amount of power "in the battery"…it indicates how far it's guessing you can drive based on your recent driving history - and then assumes if your consumption remains the same that is how far you'll be able to drive with the SAME amount of power.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Der-Schwabe (11-27-2021), flygdchman (11-26-2021), Needsdecaf (11-26-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 11:42 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by lexbro
4000 miles on the odometer and a charging profile of 85% used--I used to get 280 plus miles charging to 85% Now, only about 250...if this general trend continues, things don't look so good..has anyone else experienced this kind of drop? Ambient temp is 70 degrees on average.
I do not know what happened but the guess o meter's range on many people's cars suddenly began to report far lower range availability. in my case @ 80% soc I would show around 200 miles of range, now it only reports around 170+ miles of range.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:45 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
range is a not a fixed measurement of battery capacity - it reflects range estimated based on past driving characteristics - also as temperatures drop you can experience a 30% loss of range due to a number of factors

bottom line your battery is _NOT_ losing capacity - your relative consumption is changing due to weather and driving behavior…the range meter will bounce all over the place - it does not indicate the amount of power "in the battery"…it indicates how far it's guessing you can drive based on your recent driving history - and then assumes if your consumption remains the same that is how far you'll be able to drive with the SAME amount of power.
while your theory is somewhat correct I experienced a loss of range reported by the guess o meter.
I am in florida and until last week there was not a dramatic change in ambient temps so that shoots a bit of a whole in that theory, the reported loss of range occurred while the outdoors temps were still 80+ degrees.

Quick Reply: taycan battery not charging as well