Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base cross turismo vs 4S or GTS CT or ST - worth the extra $$?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2021 | 11:26 AM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Default Base cross turismo vs 4S or GTS CT or ST - worth the extra $$?

I have an allocation for a GTS ST build that would deliver in spring (not finalized).

it looks like it will cost be between $140-$145 depending on options. I can always step ‘down’ to a 4S for about 7k less.

I also have the option of buying a Taycan base Cross Turismo that is arriving in the next few days, with a base price of 120, optioned the way I would like.

im convinced that the tax credit won’t be available by the time the GTS arrives because of the new congressional bill.

question the is whether the extra power is worth about $35k (I live in California, so sales tax plays a role in the prices).

I can’t find a 4S Taycan anywhere to drive, so looking for opinions from someone that has experience with driving a base or a 4S? The reviews I saw on YouTube make it sound like the 4 is relatively underpowered.

thanks in advance!

Old 11-20-2021 | 07:30 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Is the extra powered needed? No. If you had the extra power, how often would you use it? Answer that question honestly and I think you'll figure out which vehicle to buy.
Old 11-21-2021 | 12:57 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Is the extra powered needed? No. If you had the extra power, how often would you use it? Answer that question honestly and I think you'll figure out which vehicle to buy.
Drove a 4S for my test drive. Non CT of course back last summer. Then had the opportunity of driving a base Taycan also. 4S is probably the sweet spot I think for having excess power ALWAYS but I went with the CT4 due to availability and pricing as well. Really the 0-60 sec times are as follows:

The base Taycan 0-60 time is 5.1 seconds. with Launch Control.
​​​​​​The Taycan 4S 0-60 time is 3.8 seconds with Launch Control.
The Taycan Turbo can go from 0-60 in 3 seconds with Launch Control.
The Taycan Turbo S can go from 0-60 in 2.8 seconds with Launch Control.

So given that the CT 4 had the dual motor set up most reviews have said it is faster than the base but a touch slower than the 4S. Estimated times for the CT 4 0-60 are 4.6 roughly which is still plenty fast for daily work/driving. So the question becomes how much do those 0-60 times factor in to each individual for their driving interests? Also given that Porsche is normally a bit conservative on these estimates. I "personally" figured that as I have other vehicles for those "need for speed" times..that spending another $20k on a 4S or more given available options just wasn't needed and could better utilize those funds if/as needed. So Taycan CT-4 for me.

In a way the speed is like the Sport Electric Sounds for me....how often after the first couple of times does it become a must have item? Only you can answer that.

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 11-21-2021 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-24-2021 | 01:44 PM
element
Pro

we just got a CT4 and drove a normal Taycan Turbo for our PEC LA experience. The Turbo was INSANE.. for our use the 4 is perfect - it still pulls like a mule and if you want more G forces just rocket up a big hill. The acceleration is very impressive and overall an amazing machine.
Old 11-29-2021 | 02:57 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Its a tough question, especially since you can option a 4 almost to a Turbo S (without the power and glossy cladding). The one standout is the GTS with different suspension tuning, sounds, and no cladding.

In *my mind* the CT looks better when done right than the GTS/Sport Turismo. I'd certainly prefer the ride height and suspension of the GTS, but it's not worth the big jump in price. I tend to tart up the cars quite a bit and the CT4S I ordered was $150k, and the equivalent GTS was $163k.

I found that there was enough additional power between the 4 and the 4S that I did opt to move from my 4 build ($128k) to the 4S ($150k), but not the Turbo ($180k).
Old 11-29-2021 | 05:00 PM
Dubbsbear
Advanced

I have a CT4 arriving next month and "unfortunately" had the chance to drive both the CT4 and CT4S two weeks ago and the feel between the two we quite noticeable, so much so that I already have gotten in line for a CT4S allocation. I will put this out there... I have spec'd up my CT4 with all the things I feel like I'd regret not having PDCC, Rear Wheel Steering, PCCB, and the CT4 that I test drove didn't have those things so maybe not a truly fair comparison. I do think that while the output of the CT4 is more than "doable", that's not why we buy Porsches right? I'm coming from a Panamera E Hybrid ST so it also maybe not be a fair expectation when getting into a base CT. The CT4 is fast enough, but it just didn't give me that quick that feel like I get with the Pana and the Taycan CT4S... could be all in my head, but who knows. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Base cross turismo vs 4S or GTS CT or ST - worth the extra $$?