Sponsored by:

Software OTA failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021 | 11:45 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Software OTA failure

there is a lively discussion on another Taycan forum regarding the OTA or lack of updates.
I am very frustrated about having to make an appointment and then lose use of the car for DAYS so the car can receive software updates.
I am currently awaiting to be contacted to receive the recall update regarding the "hazard light" issues, I am sure that this update will take a day or two as well.
currently the cars do receive minor updates like maps or weather or new which frankly do not come close to the capabilities found in Teslas or car from other manufacturers.
does anyone one else think like I do that Porsche has failed to deliver on their claims of OTA updates and do you feel that deceived by the marketing claims from Porsche regarding OTA updates?
Old 11-10-2021 | 11:55 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

I don't have my Taycan yet, but I couldn't really care any less about the idea of OTA updates. Don't have them on my ICE Porsches, not sure why I'd expect them on my Taycan. Personally, I'd prefer to know exactly what updates are being made beforehand, rather than just having them constantly pushed to my car, but mostly I'm just indifferent.
Old 11-10-2021 | 11:59 AM
smohr33
Racer

Doesn't bother me, I went in knowing this was vaporware.

Give me a loaner, do whatever you have to do, give it back. No big deal.
The following 2 users liked this post by smohr33:
AlexCeres (11-10-2021), r553 (11-13-2021)
Old 11-10-2021 | 12:37 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smohr33
Doesn't bother me, I went in knowing this was vaporware.
coming from teslas, which did massive updating via OTA updates and porsche's claims that the car would be able to update in a similar manner I feel that I was deceived by over optimistic marketing of what has turned into vaporware.

in my first six months of ownership of the taycan the care has been into porsche for three updates consuming over eight days. in addition to the time in the shop there is the time wasted dropping the car off, then returning to pick it up upon completion.
and the need for phone calls, usually unreturned, for the status of the car.

As poor as tesla's service has devolved over the years in nine years of ownership of three different models I don't believe that the car was in the shop for eight days in all that time.
one time in the early days of tesla because of an imminent failure tesla picked up my car from a parking spot in the jacksonville airport and flat bedded the car to Orlando, they made the needed repairs and then flat bedded the car back and parked the car close by to where they picked the car up. I've also had about four house calls where they did minor service like a 12v battery replacement.
the bottom line is that the software update regimen in place is far from what was claimed it would be.

Last edited by kort677; 11-10-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-10-2021 | 12:39 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Give me a loaner, do whatever you have to do, give it back. No big deal.
it is great that getting loaners works for you but my list of loaners is a similar 4s, a base RWD taycan and a base Macan, I prefer driving my own car and not having to waste my time for them to correct their software errors.
Old 11-10-2021 | 01:02 PM
smohr33
Racer

Originally Posted by kort677
it is great that getting loaners works for you but my list of loaners is a similar 4s, a base RWD taycan and a base Macan, I prefer driving my own car and not having to waste my time for them to correct their software errors.
Vote with your wallet by going back to Tesla then, don't expect Porsche to change on your behalf in the short term.

Last edited by kort677; 11-10-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2021 | 01:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Porsche isn't Tesla. They're not trying to be. I think assuming such when buying a Taycan is a mistake.
The following users liked this post:
Tip (11-11-2021)
Old 11-10-2021 | 02:05 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Porsche isn't Tesla. They're not trying to be. I think assuming such when buying a Taycan is a mistake.
change? porsche are the one's who claimed that the car could be updated via OTA updates. not so fast I suppose. it was just vaporware, a deception.
thanks for playing
Old 11-10-2021 | 02:25 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Porsche claimed they would have OTA updates as a major feature of the Taycan - they clearly wiff’d this one - and it appears they are much further behind in this space - they are lacking a modern platform to compete in this space - if nothing else EV’s are more digital and more software based - from a cost perspective having dealers apply software updates is about the most expensive method on the planet to keep these beasts up to date…they promised a feature, they have not delivered it - and they are/will suffer for it…

hopefully they are working on it based on what they’ve learned…
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021 | 02:36 PM
smohr33
Racer

change? porsche are the one's who claimed that the car could be updated via OTA updates. not so fast I suppose. it was just vaporware, a deception.
thanks for playing
Thanks for playing? Playing what? I just got a map update OTA when I went out to grab lunch, OTA works...

I don't remember seeing the formal communication from Porsche saying EVERYTHING software or powetrain related would be OTA.

Either way, your anger is constantly directed at forum members (me in this case) which is unfortunate.

The question in your OP is "does anyone one else think like I do that Porsche has failed to deliver on their claims of OTA updates and do you feel that deceived by the marketing claims from Porsche regarding OTA updates?.

No, I don't. If you dislike the lack of OTA updates so much, write to PCNA, bitch to your dealer, or dump the car. Your OPINION that OTA is inadequate, is just that, and you know what opinions are like...
Old 11-10-2021 | 03:51 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for playing? Playing what? I just got a map update OTA when I went out to grab lunch, OTA works...

I don't remember seeing the formal communication from Porsche saying EVERYTHING software or powetrain related would be OTA.

Either way, your anger is constantly directed at forum members (me in this case) which is unfortunate.

The question in your OP is "does anyone one else think like I do that Porsche has failed to deliver on their claims of OTA updates and do you feel that deceived by the marketing claims from Porsche regarding OTA updates?.

No, I don't. If you dislike the lack of OTA updates so much, write to PCNA, bitch to your dealer, or dump the car. Your OPINION that OTA is inadequate, is just that, and you know what opinions are like...
thanks for playing
Old 11-10-2021 | 06:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

This. Porsche never said everything would be OTA, or that early software glitch repairs would be OTA. Again, viewing Porsche through a Tesla lense is a mistake.
Old 11-10-2021 | 06:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

thanks for playing
No, thank you for playing. Maybe sell the Taycan and buy a Tesla. You sound like you'll fit right in with the Tesla fanbois.
Old 11-10-2021 | 06:32 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This. Porsche never said everything would be OTA, or that early software glitch repairs would be OTA. Again, viewing Porsche through a Tesla lense is a mistake.
you just do not have the facts right
Old 11-10-2021 | 06:33 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No, thank you for playing. Maybe sell the Taycan and buy a Tesla. You sound like you'll fit right in with the Tesla fanbois.
you method of conversing rarely varies, right to attacks once facts fail you

Quick Reply: Software OTA failure