Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone get a Taycan and regret it? (ICE to EV)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021 | 01:03 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
As a point, the new McLaren and Ferrari are very cool pieces of technology. I’m excited to see this direction and evolution in sports cars. A baby P1 ? Well. Not yet. As cool as they are, they don’t appear to be significantly faster or better than the ice cars they replace. They both still get spanked 0-60 by any soccer mom in a $50k EV sedan.
The hybrid powerplants by Ferrari and McLaren produce a lot more power than the previous generation turbo cars with much more headroom.
The following users liked this post:
SS22 (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021 | 01:30 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Aside from range, PHEV generally end up being the worst of both worlds, not the best. A hybrid panamera is a terrific many hundred miles per day cruiser. But 99.9% of people just don’t drive like that and don’t need more than 100mi of range per day. the average is under 40mi per day.

the torque delivery isn’t instant and overwhelming like an EV. You still need to go to the gas station. The weight and cost are worse than a comparable ICE.
Precisely because the average is under 40 miles a day is why an e-hybrid that gets 30-40 miles of pure EV range is perfect for most commutes and daily driving, while still being versatile for long trips. Yes, it doesn’t have overwhelming instant torque since its electric motor is smaller, but that electric motor does provide pretty good instant torque and as compared to a pure ICE, it provides significantly higher torque overall and virtually no turbo lag. E-hybrid also has lower maintenance cost as compared to an ICE (such as on brakes thanks to regen braking) and the higher weight is offset by more power, torque, and electric/fuel efficiency.

The EV torque advantage, and the ease of multiple motors, makes the long term direction pretty inevitable even disregarding emissions. Once costs come down, there’s no reason for the typical consumer (who generally hates driving as a chore to work and errands) to buy a higher maintenance cost vehicle. And once the weight comes down, raw performance with 4 in wheel motors is going to enable things ice cars simply can’t do. The speed per dollar cost of EV is an insurmountable advantage

will it be years ? Yup. Many. Still inevitable.
I totally agree that in many years from now, it’ll be inevitable!

Last edited by SS22; 06-27-2021 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-27-2021 | 01:47 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

As a point, the new McLaren and Ferrari are very cool pieces of technology. I’m excited to see this direction and evolution in sports cars. A baby P1 ? Well. Not yet. As cool as they are, they don’t appear to be significantly faster or better than the ice cars they replace. They both still get spanked 0-60 by any soccer mom in a $50k EV sedan.
What $50k EV sedan spanks the new Ferrari hybrids (whether 296GTB or SF90)?! Unless I am missing something, not a chance!
Old 06-27-2021 | 02:07 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by riotgear
The hybrid powerplants by Ferrari and McLaren produce a lot more power than the previous generation turbo cars with much more headroom.
neither of them are faster to 60 than the cars they replace *in their own line up*. They produce more power, but nothing so astounding as to actually supplant the other ICE offerings at similar price points from the same OEM. An Artura vs a similarly priced used 720S ? Using the hybrid train for torque fill is great. But it's an incremental improvement. Not breathing vast new life into ICE. These 2022 models still can't keep up with a 2018 model 3 on a public street at 1/6 the price.

Hybrids are stalling for time.
Old 06-27-2021 | 02:13 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SS22
What $50k EV sedan spanks the new Ferrari hybrids (whether 296GTB or SF90)?! Unless I am missing something, not a chance!
The 296GTB can barely break 3 seconds. They lack the instantaneous EV torque and they're traction limited. So ... yeah, a $50k model 3 will own that from a stop light. Not in style points, obviously.
Old 06-27-2021 | 03:13 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

The 296GTB can barely break 3 seconds. They lack the instantaneous EV torque and they're traction limited. So ... yeah, a $50k model 3 will own that from a stop light. Not in style points, obviously.
Actually, the Model 3 would get owned. Model 3 Performance does 0-62* in 3.3 seconds as compared to Ferrari 296GTB’s 2.9 seconds and Ferrari SF90’s 2.5 seconds.

*I used 0-62 as we don’t have the 0-60 time for the Ferrari 296GTB but we do have 0-62 times for all of these cars. The Ferrari SF90 was road tested for 0-60 in 2.35 seconds vs. Model 3P’s 3.1 seconds.

But setting aside the exaggerations, I get your larger point. Heck, Model S is still a fraction of the price of these super cars and is by far actually faster.
Old 06-27-2021 | 10:16 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

neither of them are faster to 60 than the cars they replace *in their own line up*. They produce more power, but nothing so astounding as to actually supplant the other ICE offerings at similar price points from the same OEM. An Artura vs a similarly priced used 720S ? Using the hybrid train for torque fill is great. But it's an incremental improvement. Not breathing vast new life into ICE. These 2022 models still can't keep up with a 2018 model 3 on a public street at 1/6 the price.

Hybrids are stalling for time.
In the supercar world no one cares about 0-60. They care about 0-120 and 1/4 mile times. Also, tell me about a stoplight drag race that stops at 60 mph.

As a owner of many supercars, I’m not interested in a fully electric version right now. 1.) It’ll be too heavy and the driving dynamics will be compromised 2.) The range will be inadequate for the type of driving I do, which is canyon driving and track days. Neither my Taycan or previous Teslas could be used in those circumstances because after an hour of pushing the car I had to turn around and find a charger as my friends in their ICE supercars kept going.

Last edited by riotgear; 06-27-2021 at 10:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SS22 (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021 | 11:10 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I’m a happy 992 Carrera S Cabriolet owner and just dropped by a Taycan test driving event.

I admit I’ve not been a fan of a EV’s, I do tend to be a ICE type of guy. But my very first EV test drive was today and it was of a Taycan Turbo S (what a great way to start!)

Really nice car, feels like it handles well, and I even got to do a launch control which was a blast.

Ultimately, it still doesn’t feel as sporty or sexy as my 911, and I didn’t find the driving experience quite as engaging.

But it changed my mind about EVs. I now am seriously thinking about buying one, but I will likely wait a few more years while things with charging networks are ironed out. I really don’t want to buy a Tesla, I hate how they look, so I’m hoping that real automakers like Porsche, Audi, etc keep churning out better products.
Old 06-27-2021 | 11:15 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

In the supercar world no one cares about 0-60. They care about 0-120 and 1/4 mile times. Also, tell me about a stoplight drag race that stops at 60 mph.

As a owner of many supercars, I’m not interested in a fully electric version right now. 1.) It’ll be too heavy and the driving dynamics will be compromised 2.) The range will be inadequate for the type of driving I do, which is canyon driving and track days. Neither my Taycan or previous Teslas could be used in those circumstances because after an hour of pushing the car I had to turn around and find a charger as my friends in their ICE supercars kept going.
not looking so good to the quarter mile either:
which is faster than a SF90.

At the end of the day, EV tech is just getting underway. And ice tech is …. Adding EV tech to stay competitive at all.

And I should hope you’d rather a Ferrari than a Tesla. I certainly would. But ice performance per dollar is economically unsustainable.
Old 06-27-2021 | 11:18 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ EV tech is far better at propulsion. I’m not sure if ICE has any advantages at all, but I’m not a mechanical engineer.

They sound way cooler, but anything else?
Old 06-27-2021 | 11:27 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ EV tech is far better at propulsion. I’m not sure if ICE has any advantages at all, but I’m not a mechanical engineer.

They sound way cooler, but anything else?
ice currently has a lot of weight, endurance and range advantages. But EV tech is improving much more rapidly and is already much more energy efficient. For most consumers, who don’t care about handling or noise or feeling, the lines will cross pretty soon. And then the economics of continued ice development fail.
Old 06-28-2021 | 02:39 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

not looking so good to the quarter mile either: https://youtu.be/jqz6RFR4FIY
which is faster than a SF90.

At the end of the day, EV tech is just getting underway. And ice tech is …. Adding EV tech to stay competitive at all.

And I should hope you’d rather a Ferrari than a Tesla. I certainly would. But ice performance per dollar is economically unsustainable.
Every supercar manufacturer has stated explicitly they are in a transition period to full EV, so the point is moot. No one is saying ICE is here to stay.
Old 06-28-2021 | 10:40 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Every supercar manufacturer has stated explicitly they are in a transition period to full EV, so the point is moot. No one is saying ICE is here to stay.
^ Well Porsche is trying to preserve ICE for their 911s, it seems, which I find laudable. But otherwise you're totally right
Old 06-28-2021 | 11:19 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

My hangup with full EV, especially on supercars is that by taking the ICE out of the equation, the playing field becomes very similar.

How do these manufacturers develop a unique driving experience between these EV's? With ICE it was easy, you have the high revving wail of a Ferrari V8, the wastegate surge of the McLaren's, the v12 insanity of an SVJ, rowing gears in a manual GT3, etc. Each uniquely different in their own ways and the passion was baked into the drivetrain.

In the future these $200k+ vehicles are going to have 700hp+ electric power, no noise, 1,000lbs+ extra weight, same linear power band, etc. and then companies like Tesla (hell, even Kia) will offer the same exact experience for $100k+ less. I know this is a gross oversimplification, but the ability to have uniqueness in the powertrain and driving experience in a straight line is almost nil.

I own a couple PHEVs and they are good cars for a boring putt around town - I don't see myself ever giving up ICE 911's for the experience it delivers. Taycan is great, I just drove a Turbo and it's a phenomenal vehicle, just not for me to replace an iconic 911 and the fun that goes along with it.
The following 5 users liked this post by Schn3ll:
hoofdpijn (07-16-2021), mrcarlo (06-28-2021), Needsdecaf (06-28-2021), sampelligrino (06-30-2021), Tupper (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021 | 11:54 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
My hangup with full EV, especially on supercars is that by taking the ICE out of the equation, the playing field becomes very similar.

How do these manufacturers develop a unique driving experience between these EV's? With ICE it was easy, you have the high revving wail of a Ferrari V8, the wastegate surge of the McLaren's, the v12 insanity of an SVJ, rowing gears in a manual GT3, etc. Each uniquely different in their own ways and the passion was baked into the drivetrain.

In the future these $200k+ vehicles are going to have 700hp+ electric power, no noise, 1,000lbs+ extra weight, same linear power band, etc. and then companies like Tesla (hell, even Kia) will offer the same exact experience for $100k+ less. I know this is a gross oversimplification, but the ability to have uniqueness in the powertrain and driving experience in a straight line is almost nil.

I own a couple PHEVs and they are good cars for a boring putt around town - I don't see myself ever giving up ICE 911's for the experience it delivers. Taycan is great, I just drove a Turbo and it's a phenomenal vehicle, just not for me to replace an iconic 911 and the fun that goes along with it.
Great points. One thing I can think of that would still be different are suspension systems and other aspects of the car that affect driving and handling.

What do you think of a 911 E-Hybrid? I think that day will come as Porsche transitions to EV but wants to keep the ICE for the enthusiasts.

Quick Reply: Anyone get a Taycan and regret it? (ICE to EV)