Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-Mobility questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2021 | 03:11 PM
Calkar
Advanced

Default E-Mobility questions

I am going to put down my deposit on a Taycan 4S for November/December delivery. The salesperson reviewed my configuration and suggested 3 E-mobility options to be added but I do not see any one of them as needed at all. Especially my primary usage for this vehicle will be within 50 miles of home and I live 2 miles away from an EA 800V charger so I can use it as an emergency backup.
  1. 150kW/400V DC charger option - I read in another thread on this option and my conclusion is that there are next to none 400V EA chargers in the US so unless Tesla opens up the SC network, this is pretty much useless
  2. Mobile connect charger - Is this just a fancy version of the plain charge cord? As long as I can program within the car to charge at off-peak hour, what is the value add for this option?
  3. Intelligent Range Manager - Since I do not plan on going long trip in this car *at all*, this does not offer any value? Also, IMHO, this should have been a standard feature as it is a simple software module and I better abetterrvrouteplanner can do as good if not better job. Not sure why Porsche even bother to have it as a $300 option...
  4. Performance+ battery pack - I think I beat this to death in my other thread already :-)
Some other background info which may be helpful. I have been driving EV since the first Tesla 85 in 2013 and have gone through a couple of Model Xs and Model 3. I will still have a Tesla in the garage for any long distance travel as I trust the Tesla SC network better than the still growing EA network. This will be a leased vehicle for 3 years so any features which is for long term value does not apply here. None of the options above are big ticket items other than the battery upgrade but want to make sure I will not regret not getting one of them. I already crossed the battery upgrade so I can use the budget to fund the Mission E wheels painted to body color.
Old 05-28-2021 | 02:30 AM
Cheshi143
Pro

Since you leased the car, none of those options mean anything unless you plan on using them yourself.

By spec'ing them and paying for them you are just making things better for Porsche in the long run.

As much as I lone our Taycan, it is still a 4 door luxury sedan and I do not believe the residuals will hold on the Taycan.
Old 05-28-2021 | 10:02 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Calkar
I am going to put down my deposit on a Taycan 4S for November/December delivery. The salesperson reviewed my configuration and suggested 3 E-mobility options to be added but I do not see any one of them as needed at all. Especially my primary usage for this vehicle will be within 50 miles of home and I live 2 miles away from an EA 800V charger so I can use it as an emergency backup.
  1. 150kW/400V DC charger option - I read in another thread on this option and my conclusion is that there are next to none 400V EA chargers in the US so unless Tesla opens up the SC network, this is pretty much useless
  2. Mobile connect charger - Is this just a fancy version of the plain charge cord? As long as I can program within the car to charge at off-peak hour, what is the value add for this option?
  3. Intelligent Range Manager - Since I do not plan on going long trip in this car *at all*, this does not offer any value? Also, IMHO, this should have been a standard feature as it is a simple software module and I better abetterrvrouteplanner can do as good if not better job. Not sure why Porsche even bother to have it as a $300 option...
  4. Performance+ battery pack - I think I beat this to death in my other thread already :-)
Some other background info which may be helpful. I have been driving EV since the first Tesla 85 in 2013 and have gone through a couple of Model Xs and Model 3. I will still have a Tesla in the garage for any long distance travel as I trust the Tesla SC network better than the still growing EA network. This will be a leased vehicle for 3 years so any features which is for long term value does not apply here. None of the options above are big ticket items other than the battery upgrade but want to make sure I will not regret not getting one of them. I already crossed the battery upgrade so I can use the budget to fund the Mission E wheels painted to body color.
if you can delete option 1, it serves no current purpose in the US. re#3 the range planner will optimize the battery for charging if the nav/planner is in use.
all the others are fine to get
Old 05-28-2021 | 01:11 PM
Calkar
Advanced

Originally Posted by kort677
if you can delete option 1, it serves no current purpose in the US. re#3 the range planner will optimize the battery for charging if the nav/planner is in use.
all the others are fine to get
How is the mobile charge connector different from the included charging cable?
Old 05-28-2021 | 04:41 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

The Intelligent Range Manager is something that you subscribe to for $12/month (they offer an unlimited time subscription for more than the average lease term at $12/month) and can cancel at anytime. It might make sense if you want to take a lengthy trip. It appears that you can subscribe & then cancel within the month. Sometime later if you want to do a longer trip, you can subscribe again and then cancel. While I have not done this, it appears that it can be done. This is all done via Porsche Connect Store.
Old 05-28-2021 | 06:07 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

How is the mobile charge connector different from the included charging cable?
the PMCC is the evse, the thing that you use at your home, the 150kw 400 dc is hardware built into the car to allow the car to accept units that can utilize the faster charging the 800 v systems can deliver, the reason you don't need to get it is because there is almost no units in N. America that charges at that level.
Old 05-29-2021 | 07:34 PM
Calkar
Advanced

the PMCC is the evse, the thing that you use at your home, the 150kw 400 dc is hardware built into the car to allow the car to accept units that can utilize the faster charging the 800 v systems can deliver, the reason you don't need to get it is because there is almost no units in N. America that charges at that level.
The thing I don't understand is that the car already comes with a J1772 Porsche Mobile Charger plus cable, correct? So what does the PMCC offer over the AC charge cable with the NEMA14-50 plug? I can see that it offers a status panel to display more information but the same information should be already available via the in-car display or from the Porsche Connect App. Or am I wrong.

If I can program the car to charge at off-peak hour with the supplied charge cable, I would be good. Or is it not possible without the Mobile Charge Connector? In fact, I will most likely get a Tesla=>J1772 adaptor so I can share the same Tesla charge cable between my Tesla and the Taycan.
Old 05-29-2021 | 09:59 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

the PMCC is the prosche charger that overheats and has an un-necessary display screen and wifi support - there is no reason to get the PMCC - and especially for what Porsche charges for it.
Old 05-30-2021 | 08:32 AM
Mac M
Intermediate

It does like to overheat, that’s for sure.

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
the PMCC is the prosche charger that overheats and has an un-necessary display screen and wifi support - there is no reason to get the PMCC - and especially for what Porsche charges for it.
Old 05-30-2021 | 03:47 PM
Calkar
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies. It really helped and also save me some $$. It looks like none of the recommended options from my dealer makes sense in my case.

BTW, I just stopped by another strip mall and it looks like EA is setting up another 8 800V chargers there. What surprised me is that they are all with CCS-Combo and not straight J1772 plug on any of them. If the EA network builds out is successful, I can even contemplate to take the Taycan on a road trip.
The following users liked this post:
Thorvald (06-14-2021)
Old 05-30-2021 | 05:25 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies. It really helped and also save me some $$. It looks like none of the recommended options from my dealer makes sense in my case.

BTW, I just stopped by another strip mall and it looks like EA is setting up another 8 800V chargers there. What surprised me is that they are all with CCS-Combo and not straight J1772 plug on any of them. If the EA network builds out is successful, I can even contemplate to take the Taycan on a road trip.
all EA L3 chargers are either chademo ( phasing out) or CCS, j1772 are only found at L2 chargers
Old 05-31-2021 | 02:17 PM
Calkar
Advanced

all EA L3 chargers are either chademo ( phasing out) or CCS, j1772 are only found at L2 chargers
This is very good news indeed.
Old 06-13-2021 | 11:23 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Soooo... to sum up for a complete idiot for "e-mobility"...

On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger - not necessary for US because we don't have the 400 chargers out

Mobile Charger Connect - not necessary because all it is is a charger with wifi support and a touchscreen? There's no faster charging with this puppy?
Old 07-01-2021 | 11:54 AM
Calkar
Advanced

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger - not necessary for US because we don't have the 400 chargers out

Mobile Charger Connect - not necessary because all it is is a charger with wifi support and a touchscreen? There's no faster charging with this puppy?
So if I charge without the Mobile Charger Connect, can I still start/stop and monitor charging from the Porsche app? And scheduling is also possible from within the car, correct?

Last edited by Calkar; 07-01-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-01-2021 | 01:06 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

1. Not necessarily true.
2. I'm getting ~8.8 kwh with the standard mobile charger (no screen) on a 14-50 outlet on a 60-amp circuit. 80amp service or higher will provide faster charging. Read here: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...E2%80%A6.2343/

Quick Reply: E-Mobility questions