Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Weight + Aero

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2021 | 12:19 PM
jrkennedy37
Advanced

Default Wheel Weight + Aero

The recent thread highlighting the impact of using 21s vs 20s on EPA fuel economy has me thinking beyond the simple considerations of aesthetics, cost and forged vs cast.

I searched the forum and couldn't find any specific detail around wheel weights and impact of the "aero" wheels vs other wheels.

Looking at CT wheel options, I'd love to spec the 21" forged cross turismo design wheels but they're not specified as "aero". At the same time I wouldn't mind having more sidewall and the "aero" benefit of the more timeless Turbo S or Turbo design 20" cast wheels if they truly provide weight, aero, tire and ~$2K upfront cost savings. Anyone found details on the comparable weights and impact of "aero" wheels vs non-aero wheels for the Taycan?
Old 05-11-2021 | 02:05 PM
pbeezy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrkennedy37
The recent thread highlighting the impact of using 21s vs 20s on EPA fuel economy has me thinking beyond the simple considerations of aesthetics, cost and forged vs cast.

I searched the forum and couldn't find any specific detail around wheel weights and impact of the "aero" wheels vs other wheels.

Looking at CT wheel options, I'd love to spec the 21" forged cross turismo design wheels but they're not specified as "aero". At the same time I wouldn't mind having more sidewall and the "aero" benefit of the more timeless Turbo S or Turbo design 20" cast wheels if they truly provide weight, aero, tire and ~$2K upfront cost savings. Anyone found details on the comparable weights and impact of "aero" wheels vs non-aero wheels for the Taycan?
Hi. I had the same type questions. There is a calculator on the Porsche Great Brittan Page. Here is the link - you can specify the model and then find the tab called "range calculator" - it's a little tricky to find but its on there. I learned that the 20 inch Taycan Turbo Aero wheels give 10 more miles of range versus the super cool looking Misson E's. That did factor into my decision.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/ta.../taycan-turbo/

Good luck.

PB
The following users liked this post:
satquest (05-13-2021)
Old 05-11-2021 | 02:26 PM
jrkennedy37
Advanced

Originally Posted by pbeezy
Hi. I had the same type questions. There is a calculator on the Porsche Great Brittan Page. Here is the link - you can specify the model and then find the tab called "range calculator" - it's a little tricky to find but its on there. I learned that the 20 inch Taycan Turbo Aero wheels give 10 more miles of range versus the super cool looking Misson E's. That did factor into my decision.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/ta.../taycan-turbo/

Good luck.

PB
This is perfect. Thanks for the rec. Showing a 9 mile hit (about 5%) between 21" CT Design wheel vs 20" Turbo S Aero. Interestingly it shows the 21" Exclusive Design (which is labeled as "aerodynamically tuned") generating 1 less mile per charge than the 21" CT Design Wheel which doesn't have an Aero label.

Quick Reply: Wheel Weight + Aero