Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Taycan

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021 | 06:52 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Wizee- Taycan + spyder is a great combo.

I had a model 3, got bored and wanted a new daily... tried to shoehorn a 911 into my life but it doesn't make sense with 3 kids >10 and I've got the spyder for fun. Thought about an suv, but resisted... Now that I have the Taycan I really love it and it's way more practical daily than a 911. It is NOT a sports car, but it does the daily driver sports sedan thing as well as a sports car since you aren't remotely close to the limits.

When I had the model 3 I always was disappointed when I got In that car instead of the spyder. Not so with the taycan, so that probably tells you something
The following 2 users liked this post by vcp13:
mdrobc1213 (04-26-2021), sgarrick (03-25-2021)
Old 03-24-2021 | 09:06 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by manitou202
Nothing will replace a light weight sports car with a high revving naturally aspirated flat 6 and a manual transmission, but most of the new cars for sale today don't have those features. If you drive a 992 Turbo S for example, it's muffled, computer controlled, and has packed on the pounds. I would argue that the Taycan is much more exciting. Same goes with cars like the Audi RS4/5/6 and turbo charged Ferrari's. It's hard to find a manual transmission let alone a naturally aspirated car.

Then you have the problem that cars with manual transmissions and naturally aspirated engines are slow compared to turbo charged cars with dual clutch gearboxes or electric cars. So the fastest cars have become dull, and the slowest are the most fun to drive. At that point I would rather have a new electric car and an older 911. There are a few exceptions like the GT3, but then you compromise so much in terms of usability and comfort. The Taycan offers something different, exciting, leading edge, and unbelievable performance for the street. It's really hard to compete with the complete package.
I know what you mean. My old 944 is not even as fast as a modern minivan. After owning it for 34 years, I can ignore it for months. Then I get back in and it just feels like a part of me. I still enjoy taking it out every now and then to run it through the gears. But as a daily driver? No way. I guess the 356 folks reached that point a long time ago as well.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (03-25-2021)
Old 03-24-2021 | 10:18 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sgarrick
So far the Taycan specific "reasons" are:
- styling
- drive/handling
- build quality
- Porsche customization

I'm curious because I assumed I would buy one then looking at Ford Mustang Mach E – really what the Mach E GT promises – it isn't clear to me what would make the Taycan "worth" $50K more. Of course this is all subjective. The reviews of the Mustang are pretty compelling.
there is no comparing the ford to the taycan, the fit, finish feel and driving of the taycan is so far superior to what the ford is.
just like any porsche from the last 60 years in comparison to any ford, excepting a cobra, there is no comparing the two.
XLR82XS (03-25-2021)
Old 03-24-2021 | 10:45 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

So far the Taycan specific "reasons" are:
- styling
- drive/handling
- build quality
- Porsche customization

I'm curious because I assumed I would buy one then looking at Ford Mustang Mach E – really what the Mach E GT promises – it isn't clear to me what would make the Taycan "worth" $50K more. Of course this is all subjective. The reviews of the Mustang are pretty compelling.
The Taycan 2 and Taycan 4 Cross Turismo start at $18k and $31k USD over the cost of the Mach-E GT, respectively -- not $50k. Yes, options get way pricier in Porsches than in Fords. But what's standard in the Taycan 2, for example, is a lot, and it's possible to get one of those for about $72k after federal tax credit (and less if you get any state rebates/credits) without any added options. If you can afford a Mach-E GT, you can probably afford a Taycan 2. The interior of the Mach-E is ugly in comparison -- computer screen that looks like a glued-on tablet, and a cheap-looking instrument display panel.
When you walk out to your Taycan to get in, every single time you'll enjoy that feeling of having the Taycan. Any similar feeling with the Mach-E will not be there except perhaps when you're out doing some spirited driving. If money is an issue, the Mach-E could be a decent BEV (though I'd opt for a Polestar 2 or XC40 BEV over the Mach-E without an ounce of hesitation, as the looks of the Mach-E inside and out just don't grab me, though the rear end of the Mach-E is decent).
Old 03-25-2021 | 02:12 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vcp13
Wizee- Taycan + spyder is a great combo.
^^^ This! ^^^^
My plan as well. Trading in our Macan for a Taycan CT:

mdrobc1213 (04-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2021 | 09:22 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

I don't see why some say electric cars have no soul and are not fun. I think the Taycan is an amazing vehicle and is a down right blast. I would without a second hesitation take it over a 911 or cayman (sans manual GT3) just on the pure fun aspect.
The following 3 users liked this post by CarAholic:
kort677 (03-25-2021), luigif1 (03-26-2021), XLR82XS (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021 | 10:29 AM
sgarrick
Advanced

For me, money is always an issue. I don't mind paying but I want to ensure that I'm getting something in return for my money. One of the things I like about electric cars are the decreased service requirements. I must admit that the thought of going to a Porsche dealer floods my brain with thoughts of RIPOFF. For example, even though the Taycan can do over-the-air updates, Porsche encourages/makes you go to the dealer for it. To me that's BS.

Personally, I think the exterior of the Mach E is very attractive. Much more so than the Taycan Cross Turismo. The interior... I'll have to sit in it before deciding. I also think the Taycan is very attractive. From the reviews I've seen, the driving dynamics of the Mach E are very good. Some even say it has too much oversteer for the average driver. I'm really interested in seeing how the Mach E GT drives. I also like the Polestar 2 and the Volvo C40. But the fun-to-drive factor is decidedly less with both vehicles.

Originally Posted by cometguy
The Taycan 2 and Taycan 4 Cross Turismo start at $18k and $31k USD over the cost of the Mach-E GT, respectively -- not $50k. Yes, options get way pricier in Porsches than in Fords. But what's standard in the Taycan 2, for example, is a lot, and it's possible to get one of those for about $72k after federal tax credit (and less if you get any state rebates/credits) without any added options. If you can afford a Mach-E GT, you can probably afford a Taycan 2. The interior of the Mach-E is ugly in comparison -- computer screen that looks like a glued-on tablet, and a cheap-looking instrument display panel.
When you walk out to your Taycan to get in, every single time you'll enjoy that feeling of having the Taycan. Any similar feeling with the Mach-E will not be there except perhaps when you're out doing some spirited driving. If money is an issue, the Mach-E could be a decent BEV (though I'd opt for a Polestar 2 or XC40 BEV over the Mach-E without an ounce of hesitation, as the looks of the Mach-E inside and out just don't grab me, though the rear end of the Mach-E is decent).
Old 03-25-2021 | 12:58 PM
element
Pro

Our fleet plan (Today & plan)
- 2015 Cayenne S ---> Taycan Wagon
- 1978 VW Westy Camper --> VW ID Buzz Camper
- 97 993 C2 - <stays forever>
The following 2 users liked this post by element:
mdrobc1213 (04-26-2021), n4v4nod (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021 | 03:15 PM
XTurismo
AutoX

I purchased an Audi E-Tron 2 years ago. It replaced a 2017 S6. Although I sometimes miss that V8 rumble, I can honestly say I don't see myself ever going back to an ICE daily driver. To me, the electric driving experience is without equal. I was about to order the e-tron GT but realized it would not be the most practical of cars for driving around with a large dog on a daily basis! Porsche launched the Taycan Cross Turismo a couple of days and it seemed like the perfect vehicle for my daily needs. Having a daily driver that can handle the dog AND handle like a Porsche will be a dream come true. Now I just have to wait!
mdrobc1213 (04-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2021 | 03:16 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XTurismo
I purchased an Audi E-Tron 2 years ago. It replaced a 2017 S6. Although I sometimes miss that V8 rumble, I can honestly say I don't see myself ever going back to an ICE daily driver. To me, the electric driving experience is without equal. I was about to order the e-tron GT but realized it would not be the most practical of cars for driving around with a large dog on a daily basis! Porsche launched the Taycan Cross Turismo a couple of days and it seemed like the perfect vehicle for my daily needs. Having a daily driver that can handle the dog AND handle like a Porsche will be a dream come true. Now I just have to wait!
EV daily driver is awesome - I love it. Even better for people like me that drive ~20K+ miles per year.
The following 2 users liked this post by XLR82XS:
daveo4porsche (03-27-2021), Needsdecaf (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021 | 03:57 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

I'm curious as to why you bought, or are considering buying, a Porsche Taycan.

Personally, I think "we" enthusiasts are in a strange place. Much of what appeals to many enthusiasts [of my kind] seems to be disappearing.
1. Driving dynamics are decreasingly relevant as performance cars have made ordinary speeds "boring"
2. Electric cars are without much of the drama associated with ICE-powered cars - exhaust note, manual shifting, modding, etc.

What appeals about the Taycan?
1.) Because the oil industry and our political leadership is shady as ****. Think about this, with fuel being taxed by both the gallon, and the overall price, there is an incentive to keep the prices artificially high to increase the amount of sales tax revenue. Roadway taxes are based by the gallon, therefore they are somewhat fixed, although with cars getting better fuel economy, fuel usage decreases and therefore so does tax revenue.

2.) Because the Taycan is a Porsche product and I will own Porsche products for the remainder of my days. Personal preference.

3.) Because it's time for a new car to replace my wife's current, she wanted a Cayenne Coupe or a Panamera, I do not want a Cayenne and a Panamera is slightly too big. She has already had a Macan and does not want to get another. The Taycan fits our needs perfectly as we have owned an electric daily driver since 2003. We will now have 2 cars instead of 3.

We only drive 5K miles per year, but having a EV is great.

Last edited by Cheshi143; 03-25-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Der-Schwabe (03-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2021 | 04:06 PM
sgarrick
Advanced

Hydrocarbon fuel taxes are there to deter usage and/or offset emissions and use less fuel.
Similarly the $7500 EV tax credit is there to incentivize folks to purchase/drive more electric vehicles.

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
1.) Because the oil industry and our political leadership is shady as ****. Think about this, with fuel being taxed by both the gallon, and the overall price, there is an incentive to keep the prices artificially high to increase the amount of sales tax revenue. Roadway taxes are based by the gallon, therefore they are somewhat fixed, although with cars getting better fuel economy, fuel usage decreases and therefore so does tax revenue.

2.) Because the Taycan is a Porsche product and I will own Porsche products for the remainder of my days. Personal preference.

3.) Because it's time for a new car to replace my wife's current, she wanted a Cayenne Coupe or a Panamera, I do not want a Cayenne and a Panamera is slightly too big. She has already had a Macan and does not want to get another. The Taycan fits our needs perfectly as we have owned an electric daily driver since 2003. We will now have 2 cars instead of 3.

We only drive 5K miles per year, but having a EV is great.
Old 03-25-2021 | 04:14 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
1.) Because the oil industry and our political leadership is shady as ****. .

sgarrick (03-25-2021)
Old 03-27-2021 | 11:02 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

I have 2 years extended warranty left on the 36K mile 2016 S550 I ordered new. It’s been nothing short of a spectacular DD. I can’t believe how much I still like it.
By then, my wife’s A6 will be 15 years old (she will not let me get her a new car since she now drives so little). At that point, we’ll probably get something electric we can share, as I’ll still have a pickup and the 911.
I really hope Porsche ups the range by then, even though most of our driving road trips are “for fun” in the 911.
I test drove a Taycan when they were first out. Very impressive. We would definitely want the CT - it looks well thought out. Good, because I really didn’t want to think Tesla was going to be our only option. What if one needed a part that can’t be replaced OTA?

Quick Reply: Why Taycan