Sponsored by:

google/YouTube music/home

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 07:06 PM
smoothound
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default google/YouTube music/home

Hi - must admit I am a phone-tech neanderthal.. so please be gentle...

Summary: Can you use google-home services and youtube music on a Taycan? Through an android phone? or must it be through an iPhone?

I have a home-wide google home and YouTube music system. It's based on my android phone for set up etc- lots of play lists etc set up over months.

I presently use my YouTube-music account via android auto on my Audi A7. It's brilliant! I just ask for (almost) any music and it just plays - voice replies to texts or Facebook messages etc - agenda notifications etc etc - works perfectly. Like taking my home with me in my car.

I have used android phones for years now - prefer not to change to an Alexa- based system and a totally different music regime. Also, I would prefer not to fund one music account for home and a different one for my car. Would not mind funding an iPhone or SIM - if I could continue to use my google-home-music account.

Considering a taycan as my next car.... Please advise, can I still use my android-youtube music account on a Taycan's audio-comms system? Will it play android auto - or connect to my phones audio and commands?

cheers

Old 03-06-2021, 09:32 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,906 Likes on 1,900 Posts

you can kinda sorta...

but Porsche does not suppport Android Auto on any of their vehicles - I’m sure you could via CarPlay with an iPhone...

but

you can blutooth pair _ANY_ phone with the Taycan - and the BluTooth pairing supports using any phone as an audio source for music - the question for me will be the level of voice control you can have while driving to direct the phone to play your music - I’m pretty sure you can pic a playlist from any audio source and it will playback via the blutooth audio integration - the question is what level of integration you’ll have for changing the music selection without touching the phone over just blutooth

recommend you visit a dealer and pair your phone with a Taycan and see how it works for music playback.

the only way to know for sure is for you to test it prior to purchase

I’m sure you can listen and hear music from any source via any phone via blutooth
the question is the amount of voice control you’ll have to make changing while driving
you’ll have more control with voice with Carplay (switching to an iphone) - but ultimately it will depend on how well Google Home/YouTube music support Siri and Carplay

basic features should work - play/pause/skip track
the question is: what level of control you’ll have with simple blutooth pairing vs. what can be achieved via CarPlay

pre-purchase testing is the only way to be sure it will meet your expectations.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 03-06-2021 at 09:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
smoothound (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 01:31 AM
smoothound
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Dave. - sadly, that is what I had guessed.

I find it weird that Porsche should want to reduce the enthusiasm of potential customers like that - when their sister Audi offers such a brilliant solution - and it would be such an easy fix to use that.

I know people don't buy a Porsche for the comms tech - but I can't understand why any business would want to deliberately implement any easily avoidable barrier to their own trade.

Cheers
Old 03-07-2021, 02:41 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,906 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Porsche does not support Android Auto (to date) because of the extensive vehicle performance data that is required to be shared to google for the Android Auto License - Porsche being performance oriented does not choose to share their fleet performance data with google - it’s the “secret sauce” and they see no reason to hand Google the massive performance data set required by Android Auto. It’s a long standing decision and I doubt it will be reconciled anytime soon…
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Der-Schwabe (03-07-2021), smoothound (03-07-2021)

Quick Reply: google/YouTube music/home