Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still Worth It Buying a Taycan Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021 | 11:39 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimshadow
I can’t comment on the Turbo S, but I can on a 4S. WELL WORTH IT so far. I bought mine off a lease (still working through a title issue, but that’s a minor PITA at the end of the day). I’ve put over 3,000 miles on it since November and no issues other than a faulty suspension pump that should be resolved this week. (Parts had to come from Germany....took 10 days). Can’t wait to get back to Taycan Daily Driving and for me it’s about the experience of driving it. It’s just a really cool car to drive. I could not imagine how ridiculous a Turbo S would be as a DD.
FWIW, YMMV
Sorry just want to clarify. You bought a 4S that had been leased? Did I fall asleep for many moons or have these been on the road long enough to be coming off leases?
Old 02-28-2021 | 12:04 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mac M
So, a jumper pack will solve the 12v issue when and if it happens? In other words, it’ll get you back in the road?
I want to reiterate this problem doesn’t seem to strike the Taycan at 100% random times…

to date based on internet postings I’ve seen - the problem only potentially occurs while you are plugged into a non-FastDC charging source (i.e L1/L2 AC charging)…

so the Taycan is only at risk when you are currently plugged in and waiting to charge…(LOL again dying of dehydration while swimming a lake)

this means it’s not entirely random - if your Taycan dies and you’re not actively charging - then you’ve encountered a separate new fun and entirely different issue - but to date those seem to be even more rare than this issue…

so I’ll quibble with what you mean by “out on the road”…

where can this problem occur?
  • at home while plugged into your home charger
  • at work while plugged into your work charger (when pandemic is over)
  • at hotel overnight while plugged into a charger
  • at a business/mall while plugged into a charger
where does this problem not occur based on internet conversations
  • sitting in a parking lot for hours, days, weeks, months unplugged
  • running about town doing normal things
  • FastDC charger
  • driving down the road
the most likely place this problem will occur is AT HOME overnight while you’re plugged into your L1/L2 home charger…

to date this problem does not appear to be any actual issue that will strand you “out on the road” - it’s much more likely to prevent you from being able to leave your garage.

its a serious problem, but it seems to occur only under a precise set of circumstances - and when when all those circumstances are present it is still then “random” as to if/when it will occur. Hopefully Porsche is investigating and will provide a future software update that will reduce the frequency of this embarrassing problem - letting a rechargeable battery die while plugged into the charger - really really embarrassing - but apparently SOP for the EV industry as I know of a fact the following EV’s are/have experienced similar problems:
  • etron
  • mustange mach-e
  • tesla
  • polestar
  • leaf
in fact the problem seems to be so well know that one EV manufacture has a “reset 12V” relay button in the console of the car for when this issue occurs…
Old 02-28-2021 | 12:16 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

porsche has documented two cases to date that will cause 12V death issues (presumably they will fix these in a future update) - Porsche has issued TSB’s that document these two known cases…
  1. attempting to charge a Taycan from an L1/L2 AC power source at 6 amps will drain the 12V battery - solution: don’t use 6 amp power sources - it’s not enough power for the Taycan
  2. the Porsche Mobile Connect Charger has a “Power Line Communication” PLC feature - where the PMCC will attempt to communication with other equipment and/or the vehicle using power line communication techniques - this feature is enabled “by default” on all PMCC’s shipped to date - porsche recommeds disabling PLC communication on the PMMC to reduce the chances of the 12V death issue - again I’m going to presume Porsche will fix this issue with Taycan in a future update.
You can tell if your PMCC has this feature enabled if after you plug it into your Taycan it takes forever to notice the car and begin charging - after I disabled PLC communication on my PMCC when plugging in it now starts charging MUCH sooner

@Louv documented another 12V death issue months and months ago - and worked with Porsche to investigate it - Louv had a 100% reproducible case with steps you could follow to cause the 12V battery to drain - again involving a charger - after the July/Aug software update campagne Louv’s particular case of 12V drain has be resolved by the current software available from the factory or via update at your dealer.

so to date we know of 3 different ways the 12V battery can die - all involving charging scenarios - 1 is fixed, and it would be reasonable to assume the other 2 will be fixed in a future update…

the problem for Porsche is that the 3 known cases (to us) does not explain all the other 12V death issues, so while there are 3 concrete cases of how the 12V battery can die while charging, there are many many other known/documented cases of 12V deaths that do not fit the circumstances of the 3 known 12V death issues - so like aliens - there are more out there - hopefully Porsche is continuing to work/investigate this issue to further reduce the probably of 12V death issues beyond the 3 public documented and known cases…

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 02-28-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2021 | 12:23 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

for those interested - i believe I caught my Taycan on the way to a 12V death issue, but since I don’t have access to internal logs I can prove it - but it was very very suspect and I think I avoided a potential bricking!!

gory details are here:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...-the-act.3729/
Old 02-28-2021 | 01:00 PM
jimshadow
AutoX

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Sorry just want to clarify. You bought a 4S that had been leased? Did I fall asleep for many moons or have these been on the road long enough to be coming off leases?
Nope.....I bought out a local guys lease who needed to get out of it.

Jim
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (02-28-2021)
Old 03-01-2021 | 10:18 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimshadow
Nope.....I bought out a local guys lease who needed to get out of it.

Jim
OH. I see. Gotcha thanks.
Old 03-01-2021 | 10:47 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I want to reiterate this problem doesn’t seem to strike the Taycan at 100% random times…

to date based on internet postings I’ve seen - the problem only potentially occurs while you are plugged into a non-FastDC charging source (i.e L1/L2 AC charging)…

so the Taycan is only at risk when you are currently plugged in and waiting to charge…(LOL again dying of dehydration while swimming a lake)

this means it’s not entirely random - if your Taycan dies and you’re not actively charging - then you’ve encountered a separate new fun and entirely different issue - but to date those seem to be even more rare than this issue…

so I’ll quibble with what you mean by “out on the road”…

where can this problem occur?
  • at home while plugged into your home charger
  • at work while plugged into your work charger (when pandemic is over)
  • at hotel overnight while plugged into a charger
  • at a business/mall while plugged into a charger
where does this problem not occur based on internet conversations
  • sitting in a parking lot for hours, days, weeks, months unplugged
  • running about town doing normal things
  • FastDC charger
  • driving down the road
the most likely place this problem will occur is AT HOME overnight while you’re plugged into your L1/L2 home charger…

to date this problem does not appear to be any actual issue that will strand you “out on the road” - it’s much more likely to prevent you from being able to leave your garage.

its a serious problem, but it seems to occur only under a precise set of circumstances - and when when all those circumstances are present it is still then “random” as to if/when it will occur. Hopefully Porsche is investigating and will provide a future software update that will reduce the frequency of this embarrassing problem - letting a rechargeable battery die while plugged into the charger - really really embarrassing - but apparently SOP for the EV industry as I know of a fact the following EV’s are/have experienced similar problems:
  • etron
  • mustange mach-e
  • tesla
  • polestar
  • leaf
in fact the problem seems to be so well know that one EV manufacture has a “reset 12V” relay button in the console of the car for when this issue occurs…
I have owned an ‘19 etron for about 13 months now with almost 13,000 miles on it and it has only ever been charged at home via my Chargepoint Flex. I leave it plugged in 100% of the time when I’m home regardless of battery level, and charge to 90% routinely. I have never had the dead 12V battery issue, and since I’ve been on the etron forum over on Audiworld even prior to buying the car, I can categorically state that this is not a major issue; in fact I’m not sure I can remember anyone mentioning it even when the etron was first released and there were quite a few issues being worked out. I have thought that the battery pack and other hardware must be very similar between the Taycan and etron and am surprised to hear the Taycan suffers from such an issue.

Bish
Old 03-01-2021 | 03:12 PM
Mac M
Intermediate

Thanks for info. Great resources!
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021 | 03:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thebishman
I have owned an ‘19 etron for about 13 months now with almost 13,000 miles on it and it has only ever been charged at home via my Chargepoint Flex. I leave it plugged in 100% of the time when I’m home regardless of battery level, and charge to 90% routinely. I have never had the dead 12V battery issue, and since I’ve been on the etron forum over on Audiworld even prior to buying the car, I can categorically state that this is not a major issue; in fact I’m not sure I can remember anyone mentioning it even when the etron was first released and there were quite a few issues being worked out. I have thought that the battery pack and other hardware must be very similar between the Taycan and etron and am surprised to hear the Taycan suffers from such an issue.

Bish
The eTron SUV has a 400V pack and systems while the Taycan and the upcoming ETron GT have 800V systems. Very different.
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
Der-Schwabe (03-02-2021), thebishman (03-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Still Worth It Buying a Taycan Turbo S?