InnoDrive vs Tesla AutoPilot

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 01:08 PM
pburt03
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Joan Alcover
My personal experience of InnoDrive on a 992 Turbo S:
It drives me up and down the mountain passes of the Swiss Alps without missing a single turn (hairpin turns) and with generous cornering speed.
Of course, it observes the legal speed limits when doing this.
I cannot compare to Tesla, as I do not drive that type of car.

The only drawback is when it sees a "speed sign" off the right hand side of the road I am driving (but that does not mean a speed limit for the road I am driving): it tends to believe it is applicable to the road I am driving. Just a very minor annoyance.
To this end, you can turn off the speed sign recognition feature. I was experiencing the same thing with sudden changes in set speed and turning that aspect off nipped it in the bud.
The following users liked this post:
kort677 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 02:19 PM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by pburt03
To this end, you can turn off the speed sign recognition feature. I was experiencing the same thing with sudden changes in set speed and turning that aspect off nipped it in the bud.
You are right, but then I lose the "automatic adherence to imposed/legal speed limits". I'd rather live with an unfrequent nuisance than lose a "safety feature" (for my driving license).
Old 07-25-2021, 06:55 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Only Mercedes class S and new class C
are close to Tesla
Old 07-26-2021, 01:31 PM
pburt03
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

You are right, but then I lose the "automatic adherence to imposed/legal speed limits". I'd rather live with an unfrequent nuisance than lose a "safety feature" (for my driving license).
Touché. Safety first!
Old 07-26-2021, 01:42 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

except my experience with the “adherence” to speed limits is actually dangerous due to the poor driving skills of the driver behind me - the Innodrive adherence to speed limit changes is best characterized as a “brake check” and slows the vehicle aggressively enough to cause a rear-end accident for the typical follow distance I experience in California - given 3 near miss rear-endings (car behind me barely slowing in time) in less than two hours one day I decided Innodrive is not for me.

Also Innodrive’s detection of speed limit changes is also sometime “phantom” speed limit zone changes - there is one spot in particular on Hwy 1 north near Watonsville where Innodrive believes the speed limit changes from 65 mph to 35 mph - that brake check does wonders for your reputation as a driver to the people behind you when they suddenly see you (if they see you) slowing aggressively for a non-existent change in speed limit.

Innodrive is not for me - and based on it’s observed behavior in the wild in my daily driving I consider it high risk for causing someone to rear end you - my $0.02.
W8MM (07-30-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 08:54 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

I could not agree more.

I run ACC+ALK. InnoDrive made me crazy with the speed adjustments.

And if you're coming from Tesla note that ALK is nowhere near as safe as AutoPilot. It can and will stop running at any time, without warning!
daveo4porsche (07-27-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 07:01 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
except my experience with the “adherence” to speed limits is actually dangerous due to the poor driving skills of the driver behind me - the Innodrive adherence to speed limit changes is best characterized as a “brake check” and slows the vehicle aggressively enough to cause a rear-end accident for the typical follow distance I experience in California - given 3 near miss rear-endings (car behind me barely slowing in time) in less than two hours one day I decided Innodrive is not for me.

Also Innodrive’s detection of speed limit changes is also sometime “phantom” speed limit zone changes - there is one spot in particular on Hwy 1 north near Watonsville where Innodrive believes the speed limit changes from 65 mph to 35 mph - that brake check does wonders for your reputation as a driver to the people behind you when they suddenly see you (if they see you) slowing aggressively for a non-existent change in speed limit.

Innodrive is not for me - and based on it’s observed behavior in the wild in my daily driving I consider it high risk for causing someone to rear end you - my $0.02.
Sorry to hear you had those "bad experiences".
Nothing like that ever happened to me ..... but it is true that as soon has the Innodrive slows me down "for an unknown reason", I hit the gas pedal
Old 07-30-2021, 02:50 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 165 Posts

Sorry to hear you had those "bad experiences".
Nothing like that ever happened to me ..... but it is true that as soon has the Innodrive slows me down "for an unknown reason", I hit the gas pedal
that slowing down caused by speed limit corrections can be easily eliminated via changing the settings to ignore the speed limits
Old 07-31-2021, 04:15 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Originally Posted by kort677
that slowing down caused by speed limit corrections can be easily eliminated via changing the settings to ignore the speed limits
A I said in my post of July 24, 2021:

Quick Reply: InnoDrive vs Tesla AutoPilot