Sponsored by:

Road Trip Planning (Sample Case)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 07:20 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Therefore I should be able to drive at any speed I want, right
mmmm - drive any speed I want - the Taycan is a FAST car - it would be sooo much fun - range be dammed! don't tease me like that.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:36 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

I used ABRP and PlugShare for my recent 2600 mile road trip. Dave has suggested everything I would. With ABRP I changed the arrive at chargers and destination to 15% and then tweaked my wH/mi @ 65mph as needed. Just realize it can vary a fair amount depending on wind, speed, and temps. Also remember you can back off your speed by 5-10 mph and you'll gain 5-10% more range if you find you might have underestimated a leg.

The Electrify America app has a live status for all of its chargers. You can see if they are online and how many chargers are currently occupied. I was driving my Tesla on our recent road trip but I kept checking the route and EA status as if I was driving my Etron to see what it would have been like. Two of the EA locations that would have been critical showed offline on my way back. Not sure why, but at least I could have planned around them.

Make sure to plug in your next charging destination each time and see what the estimated remaining battery will be at arrival. Monitor this as you go and assuming Porsche did a good job it will work well as a planner for estimating the next leg.
The following users liked this post:
whiz944 (07-15-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 07:37 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by evanevery
...- ChargePoint reportedly has a Roaming agreement with EVGo, so that should give me access to both networks with my ChargePoint login/payment. Why do you have BOTH EVGo and ChargePoint accounts?
We've had a Chargepoint account ever since we bought our 2016 Volt five years ago. My wife needed it to charge at work, as her workplace charging was managed by Chargepoint. (Private group access.) Have used it many times for L2 charging - both with the Volt and my Tesla.

Recently, EVgo started mounting Tesla CHAdeMO adapters to some of their DCFC charging stations in an effort to attract some Tesla business. AAA sent me something about the special deal they had with EVgo. Since there were no monthly charges, I figured why not. I've used it a couple of times at the EVgo station at one of our local grocery stores. Worked flawlessly.

Didn't know about the roaming agreement between the two. Will have to look into it!

So, I think I should already be covered on EA, EVGo, and ChargePoint networks. Are their some other networks/apps I should consider?
Maybe greenlots. When in ABRP, click on some of the DCFC locations along the route and see what charging networks they are associated with. But assuming the EA sites are actually working, it looks like you can stick with them. The others would be for backup. BTW, ABRP doesn't use plugshare as a data source. It relies on openchargemap, and a number of other sites. So sometimes charging sites show up on one or another, but not both...

I also have a blink account. We had one specific use case, Hayward CA, which in our Volt was just outside of its 53 mile EV range for the round trip. There is a blink site that was right where we needed it in order to pick up a few miles and avoid using the Volts ICE. These days I wouldn't bother with it. First because my Tesla has 6x the range of the Volt (in EV mode). And second, Tesla has a Supercharger site about a mile from there. (There are CCS and CHAdeMO sites nearby as well. In fact one of the CHAdeMO sites is the Blink site. Nearby CCS sites are EA and EVgo.)

Last edited by whiz944; 07-14-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:49 PM
evanevery
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

This is all very good information. Thanks!

I might humbly suggest that we eventually get a nice concise posting for new EV RoadTrippers to summarize all the planning info in a single printable posting. Perhaps something like:

- Services to have established membership ( and/or payment): Porsche Connect, Electrify America, ABRP, PlugShare, and ChargePoint

- Mobile Apps to have installed: Porsche Connect, Charging NA, ABRP, Electrify America, PlugShare, ChargePoint, ChargeHub

- Steps/Apps/Suggestions for pre-planning: ABRP, PlugShare

- Apps/Suggestions for real-time navigation/planning: Porsche Connect, Electrify America, ABRP, PlugShare

Maybe with a brief discussion a for each as above...

Quick Reply: Road Trip Planning (Sample Case)