Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the fence

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2020 | 02:46 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Default On the fence

After all of this time waiting on locking in my build for my Turbo S allocation, I am sitting here thinking about should I actually get the car. Here are the things going through my mind.
  1. First let me say that I do believe that Electric cars are the future. The question is whether it is in my future ( I am a 60s kid). I certainly want to show my kids that I a a futurist and adaptable to the changing world and want to make it better for them.
  2. I have many ICE cars (and I love them) and have been always wanted to go to electric however electrics historically have been ugly. I Was on the waitlist for 4 years for a Fisker Karma but decided one day before delivery to pull the plug because of reliability issues.
  3. Then came the mission E....I have been in love with the mission E from day one and went to the dealer to put my name on the list some 5 years ago or so. The Mission-E is the most beautiful car I have ever seen. But while the Taycan is beautiful it was initially a disappointment to me relative to Mission-E. I am over that now but still in the back of my mind.
  4. I was excited about being one of the first to have this beauty. I knew that I was one of the first on the list from my dealer friend but the dealership was sold and somehow I moved down on the list to the point I have still not locked in my build. This has been quite disappointing and as a result my excitement has waned. I tend to like being the first, so now I am thinking maybe wait for the refresh.
  5. I test drove a Turbo a few months ago before the Covid lockdown. I must say the car was amazing. I loved it! But still something was missing....The angry sound from the engine....it just felt a little sterile to me. Don't get me wrong, I desire the car but am a older guy and I have those ICE sounds programed into me....This is something I have to overcome sooner than later.
  6. Everytime I drive my 991 Turbo S, I think about how much I love to drive it, the sounds, the shifts and hard to believe I am saying this (especially since my older 911s are so much lighter) but the lightness compared to the Taycan the 991 is so much more fun for me. I really wanted to enjoy the Taycan more.
  7. Bur now even will all of this I am still committed to follow through with the Taycan so at least my commuter car can be electric and I can feel goo about driving my ICE cars over the weekend. But wait, I have been working from how for the past 4 months and my team is actually more productive. It has been great, but I am realizing and am hardly driving any of my cars now and its likely we will never go back to working the office since we have gotten so good at it. I don't even need a daily driver anymore, so why would I buy another car when my miles have gone down so much I hardly ever visit the gas station. The last thing I need is a commuter car that I never use.
The world has changed on me folks and I am on the fence. Tempted to call the dealer and tell them to I want to give my allocation back
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (07-03-2020)
Old 06-28-2020 | 04:49 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

I’ve had EV’s for 5 years now along side Porsche’s. Since you are on the fence now for your own reasons, I’ll give you two more that we’re important for me to pass on the Taycan. I’m tall and old, getting in and out is more difficult than a 911 for me. It’s just as low, but the seat is actually behind the door opening. This car will have a massive first year depreciation, worse than other Porsche’s. EV’s are like mobile phones, they are on a steep learning curve. I’ve already witnessed this phenomenon myself. If these are important to you, ad them to your fence sitting, if not just scrap them.
Old 06-28-2020 | 04:55 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Some random thoughts

- it is an eco-friendly decision not to buy a car that would be underutilized, saves energy/emission on manufacturing
- 10 years from now you might be able to fill up your cars with synthetic gasoline; https://www.prometheusfuels.com/faq/
- if you want to impress the kids, sell all your newish cars and drive an electric on the weekend as well. If you just buy one more car that happens to be electric they may not even realize it.
- don't buy something that you aren't fully in love with
The following 2 users liked this post by acoste:
AlexCeres (06-28-2020), sgarrick (03-04-2021)
Old 06-28-2020 | 06:35 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

All good points....
Old 06-28-2020 | 07:10 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowpue
After all of this time waiting on locking in my build for my Turbo S allocation, I am sitting here thinking about should I actually get the car. Here are the things going through my mind.
  1. First let me say that I do believe that Electric cars are the future. The question is whether it is in my future ( I am a 60s kid). I certainly want to show my kids that I a a futurist and adaptable to the changing world and want to make it better for them.
  2. I have many ICE cars (and I love them) and have been always wanted to go to electric however electrics historically have been ugly. I Was on the waitlist for 4 years for a Fisker Karma but decided one day before delivery to pull the plug because of reliability issues.
  3. Then came the mission E....I have been in love with the mission E from day one and went to the dealer to put my name on the list some 5 years ago or so. The Mission-E is the most beautiful car I have ever seen. But while the Taycan is beautiful it was initially a disappointment to me relative to Mission-E. I am over that now but still in the back of my mind.
  4. I was excited about being one of the first to have this beauty. I knew that I was one of the first on the list from my dealer friend but the dealership was sold and somehow I moved down on the list to the point I have still not locked in my build. This has been quite disappointing and as a result my excitement has waned. I tend to like being the first, so now I am thinking maybe wait for the refresh.
  5. I test drove a Turbo a few months ago before the Covid lockdown. I must say the car was amazing. I loved it! But still something was missing....The angry sound from the engine....it just felt a little sterile to me. Don't get me wrong, I desire the car but am a older guy and I have those ICE sounds programed into me....This is something I have to overcome sooner than later.
  6. Everytime I drive my 991 Turbo S, I think about how much I love to drive it, the sounds, the shifts and hard to believe I am saying this (especially since my older 911s are so much lighter) but the lightness compared to the Taycan the 991 is so much more fun for me. I really wanted to enjoy the Taycan more.
  7. Bur now even will all of this I am still committed to follow through with the Taycan so at least my commuter car can be electric and I can feel goo about driving my ICE cars over the weekend. But wait, I have been working from how for the past 4 months and my team is actually more productive. It has been great, but I am realizing and am hardly driving any of my cars now and its likely we will never go back to working the office since we have gotten so good at it. I don't even need a daily driver anymore, so why would I buy another car when my miles have gone down so much I hardly ever visit the gas station. The last thing I need is a commuter car that I never use.
The world has changed on me folks and I am on the fence. Tempted to call the dealer and tell them to I want to give my allocation back
lol, this sounds familiar. The TTS is an amazing DD. The difference being, I'm sure I'll be required to commute again. It might be 2 years from now, but yeah, I'll still need a commuter. Probably sooner. But the uncertainty in work schedules does make it really awkward to plan car buying. Do I need a commuter ? Well, not today. A family car ? The wife and kids don't ever ride with me at the same time anymore...
Old 06-29-2020 | 02:46 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
lol, this sounds familiar. The TTS is an amazing DD. The difference being, I'm sure I'll be required to commute again. It might be 2 years from now, but yeah, I'll still need a commuter. Probably sooner. But the uncertainty in work schedules does make it really awkward to plan car buying. Do I need a commuter ? Well, not today. A family car ? The wife and kids don't ever ride with me at the same time anymore...
Exactly....I am sitting here with nowhere to drive and certainly not daily and wondering, do I need another car to sit and rot. Hell, I am like a little puppy wagging his tail when my wife sends me out to get something at the grocery store. The only problem is that it is only a mile away. Maybe I ust wait and see what happens in 2 years...Buy one then or I buy a certified. Just such a weird time....
AlexCeres (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020 | 09:58 AM
evanevery
Racer

The Taycan is a a car that you should buy only if you REALLY WANT it. (sounds like you don't)

If you are on the fence about EV's, then maybe you should be considering something with less "commitment" - like a Model S.

I wouldn't be jumping in to the "deep end" of the pool unless you are certain you like to swim...
03clyde (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020 | 02:02 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by evanevery
The Taycan is a a car that you should buy only if you REALLY WANT it. (sounds like you don't)

If you are on the fence about EV's, then maybe you should be considering something with less "commitment" - like a Model S.

I wouldn't be jumping in to the "deep end" of the pool unless you are certain you like to swim...
Model S is outdated. If anyone is looking for a car in that category, should check out the Lucid Air. It is a direct successor (same chief designer).
Old 06-29-2020 | 02:43 PM
evanevery
Racer

Well, the Model S (as "outdated" as you might imply) actually has one big thing in its favor. It actually exists and you can buy it...
Zcd1 (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020 | 05:53 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acoste
Model S is outdated. If anyone is looking for a car in that category, should check out the Lucid Air. It is a direct successor (same chief designer).
Lucid Air doesn't exist. Production isn't even expected to start til end of this year.
Old 06-29-2020 | 05:56 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4pipes
I’ve had EV’s for 5 years now along side Porsche’s. Since you are on the fence now for your own reasons, I’ll give you two more that we’re important for me to pass on the Taycan. I’m tall and old, getting in and out is more difficult than a 911 for me. It’s just as low, but the seat is actually behind the door opening. This car will have a massive first year depreciation, worse than other Porsche’s. EV’s are like mobile phones, they are on a steep learning curve. I’ve already witnessed this phenomenon myself. If these are important to you, ad them to your fence sitting, if not just scrap them.
I'm glad that I'm not the only person that finds it hard to get in and out of the Taycan. Harder than my 991.
Old 06-29-2020 | 05:58 PM
evanevery
Racer

You should try getting in/out of a BMW i8... :-)
Old 06-29-2020 | 06:37 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evanevery

ugh. I'd never recommend a Model S over a Model 3P unless you desperately needed the extra trunk space
whiz944 (06-30-2020)
Old 07-03-2020 | 03:32 AM
JJ.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Buddy!! Get the Taycan!! Here is mine, just picked up this week : best decision ever!! do it for you, it for anyone else... coming off a 3 year Tesla model s I wrote a comparison feel free to look up taycan 4S vs Model S ....

below some of the taycan and my trifecta abused yet incredible collection!! Taycan 1000% life Goes by So fast enjoy it!!

dm if you want to chat it through.
jj

Attached Images  
The following 7 users liked this post by JJ.Porsche:
acoste (07-03-2020), AlexCeres (07-03-2020), CarMaven (07-03-2020), daveo4porsche (07-03-2020), Der-Schwabe (07-03-2020), Wiley Hodges (07-03-2020), XLR82XS (06-10-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: On the fence