Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current state of charging infrastructure (particularly Electrify America)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 09:49 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,291 Posts

Does the EA chargers on the way to Vegas work (in Victorville, Barstow, and Baker)?
Old 06-13-2022, 10:51 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Does the EA chargers on the way to Vegas work (in Victorville, Barstow, and Baker)?
the answer for all things EA is: "maybe"
The following users liked this post:
blabus (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 02:18 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
the answer for all things EA is: "maybe"
LOL

I'm really looking forward to owning a BEV 718 in 2-3 years, yet grateful to currently own a Tesla M3P because I wouldn't want to deal with the current mediocre charging options for non Tesla owners,
Old 06-15-2022, 09:18 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
LOL

I'm really looking forward to owning a BEV 718 in 2-3 years, yet grateful to currently own a Tesla M3P because I wouldn't want to deal with the current mediocre charging options for non Tesla owners,
LOL? EV not BEV. DC charging options aren't that bad depending where you live - check the EA station map. North Dakota and Alaska may be a problem for DC. I owned a 3 and sold it for a Taycan.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:50 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
LOL? EV not BEV. DC charging options aren't that bad depending where you live - check the EA station map. North Dakota and Alaska may be a problem for DC. I owned a 3 and sold it for a Taycan.
BEV and EV are synonyms, so you should check your ego a bit.

there are countless horror stories of people getting stranded even in the past 1-2 years trying to rely on EA chargers. Plenty of articles and surveys that support this. A very large proportion of America cannot be reliably driven long distance with a Taycan, not just Alaska and ND.

so yes a Tesla is a much better option for a road trip now, though I hope other national charging options improve in the next 2-3 years before I get the electric Cayman.

Porsche certainly builds a better BEV than Tesla, but Porsche needs a charging network to match the quality of their cars.

Last edited by Drifting; 06-15-2022 at 11:07 PM.
daveo4porsche (06-15-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 08:24 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

there are countless horror stories of people getting stranded even in the past 1-2 years trying to rely on EA chargers. Plenty of articles and surveys that support this. A very large proportion of America cannot be reliably driven long distance with a Taycan, not just Alaska and ND.
countless numbers of people stranded? is that so? I wonder what the numbers are for people who run out of gas are.

as for being stranded because of charger hardware issues, that can happen, I recently ran into issues with my IPace that wouldn't take charges from EVGO units while on a trip however the problem was solved by location a chargepoint unit. I was having serious issues charging my Taycan , to the point where charging was a 50/50 craps shoot. porsche finally got their sheet together and made a software patch that fixed my issues.

the point is to not be like that gal in the wall st journal article and take off on a road trip with no planning, no clue about charging EVs.

as for charging coverage, the least covered places in the US are MT, ND,SD, WY, and northern MS and AL. the former can be a serious issue for road trippers the latter just requires judicious planning. the rest of the US for the most part is well covered. I know because I've taken many road trips across the country, both E/W and N/S.

We are past the infancy period of EV travel and are now in childhood stages of development and while charging a car is not as easy as filling a gas tank, for a large number of EV owners the point is moot because they charge their cars at home and never road trip their cars.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:58 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,144 Likes on 3,010 Posts

BEV and EV are synonyms, so you should check your ego a bit.

so yes a Tesla is a much better option for a road trip now, though I hope other national charging options improve in the next 2-3 years before I get the electric Cayman.

Porsche certainly builds a better BEV than Tesla, but Porsche needs a charging network to match the quality of their cars.
As a guy who has been regularly road tripping his Taycan more than a thousand miles per week, I call bull**** here.

The Taycan is an excellent road trip car. Beyond simply being a better quality car for the purpose, it charges faster than a Tesla and you’re much less likely to be waiting in line at a charger along your route.

Tesla has sold too many cars with respect to the available supercharging capacity. The variety of CCS networks gives non-Tesla vehicles the edge. I am much happier not being stuck and locked in to a proprietary charging network.

The supercharger “advantage” of 3-4 years ago is no longer valid.
XLR82XS (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 10:25 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn

Tesla has sold too many cars with respect to the available supercharging capacity.
this is very true in some areas, especially in CA and the west but there is a huge problem coming for the EA/CCS world.

the problem is that EA and other providers are not keeping pace with the numbers of EVs being sold.

I have already encountered full charging stations in FLA, the number of car coupled with sometimes poor maintenance of the chargers can cause access issues as well.

I had pulled into a charger in FL with 3 of 4 units being down and 3 cars waiting to get to the one working charger, meaning a 2+ hour wait just to get to the charger.
EA and the other charge providers need to step up the installation of chargers and expand the current chargers in order to accommodate the massive increase of EVs on the road.
jackbenner (06-18-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 10:52 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Cart before the horse.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:22 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by blabus
That's a good point regarding just "topping up", I've been getting caught in the gasoline mindset of not stopping to "refuel" until I'm completely empty.
Me too. (Are we allowed to say that in the new PC era?) I was down to 15% and thought I'll make it to the next set of chargers, about 15 miles away. Yes, the next set of chargers were in the middle of a cornfield out on the boondocks. Night time. A weak overhead light. Nothing for miles. Luckily one of the fast chargers worked. The other had water in the display. Of course aligning the charger port was a another ordeal.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:29 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kort677
this is very true in some areas, especially in CA and the west but there is a huge problem coming for the EA/CCS world.

the problem is that EA and other providers are not keeping pace with the numbers of EVs being sold.

I have already encountered full charging stations in FLA, the number of car coupled with sometimes poor maintenance of the chargers can cause access issues as well.

I had pulled into a charger in FL with 3 of 4 units being down and 3 cars waiting to get to the one working charger, meaning a 2+ hour wait just to get to the charger.
EA and the other charge providers need to step up the installation of chargers and expand the current chargers in order to accommodate the massive increase of EVs on the road.
EA = check the box for diesel-gate. They made their money and ran. In a trip from Atlanta to Houston, EA was a hit or miss. Maybe 50% working.

I guess we can't blame EA. Unlike gas pumps, there is no profit in charging stations. Gas stations make money on the 300% markup on beer, cigarettes, jerky, etc. Gas is a loss leader.
Old 06-18-2022, 02:33 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

BEV and EV are synonyms
Hmmmm
Old 06-18-2022, 02:45 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

as for charging coverage, the least covered places in the US are MT, ND,SD, WY, and northern MS and AL.
As an Louisiana (ex) resident, I always say "thank god for MS and AL". As in the lowest education, highest cancer, highest poverty, and the list of "achievements" go on. And now add the ignominy of lowest EV charging.
Of course, both MS and AL excel at competitive sports. Sorry, moderator, I know I am
Old 06-19-2022, 01:15 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

snip... I had pulled into a charger in FL with 3 of 4 units being down and 3 cars waiting to get to the one working charger, meaning a 2+ hour wait just to get to the charger.
Sounds like there needs to be some provision to compel maintenance of current chargers. If the 3 that were down were properly maintained, there would be a 75% increase in charger availability.

Last edited by aCayenneFan; 06-19-2022 at 01:16 AM.
Dr. G7 (06-19-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 02:28 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,726 Likes on 5,123 Posts

BEV and EV are synonyms,
Sort of, I suppose.

It's like saying Convertibles and Cars are synonymous.

True, in a very general sense.

Quick Reply: Current state of charging infrastructure (particularly Electrify America)