Taycan 4S Released

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 06:33 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by whiz944
Tesla is somewhere around there. For normal daily driving, as you say, it is plenty for most braking needs. For example, transitioning from freeway speed onto a short downhill exit ramp. Even then, you'll maybe see it hit the max for only a fraction of a second.
Model 3 stated to be somewhere between 50 and 80 depending on trim and who you google.

I can't imagine 3x as much regen. That's awesome.
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
daveo4porsche (10-15-2019), W8MM (10-16-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 10:50 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Model 3 stated to be somewhere between 50 and 80 depending on trim and who you google.

I can't imagine 3x as much regen. That's awesome.
I suspect there are a lot of devils in the details. For my RWD Model 3, regen is obviously only on the rear wheels - whereas typically one wants more braking on the front wheels. So some limitation on regen levels is probably prudent. The Volt and Bolt are FWD - which makes a better match up. But a quirk of them is that sometimes one can hit a bump or a dip in the road, traction control notices, and momentarily turns off regen. Kind of startles you the first time it happens. Toyota has had problems with this in their hybrids over the years as well. Cars with both front and rear motors need to take all this into account too. In theory one could do a lot more regen with a motor in the front, but balance is important too. I've no idea how Tesla does it, but it is some of the stuff they worked with Randy Probst on with Track Mode.

Quick Reply: Taycan 4S Released