Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EV Starting Point, Taycan commentary and criticism welcome...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 02:20 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
There are no words to describe how bent out of shape I am at the pricing, the use of turbo in the names and the out right audacity of Porsche to think “we will just make customers pay for all of our R&D and infrastructure investment to build this car “

Anyone who spends the kind of money to buy one of these cars is an outright idiot, if I ever go electric it will be a pre-owned Model S.

Elon Musk must be laughing his *** off, I honestly hope the Taycan is a sales failure because Porsche’s audacity and full-of-themself-ness has reached a new height. Plus Formula E ? Any racing series that allows fans to vote for who gets more electric boost is laughably transparently crap so I hope Porsche fails there too. The only R&D venture I support is the GTE/GTLM and GT3R and GT4 racing programs.

AND you know Porsche stealers will charge for software updates, there is no way in hell they would adopt the Apple or Tesla model of free software updates to care for their trusting customers.

I wanted to be excited and supportive of the company around this car but I just can’t, it just makes me sick to my stomach.

I will keep my 993 and pass it on to a nephew when I die and my Macan GTS is a wonderful fantastic all around vehicle. I am retired and do not have the funds that most of the people that frequent these forums do that can buy new 991s or ugly 992s or GT3s or whatever models they own , I don’t have that choice. There was a point where I thought a somewhat basic Taycan would be in my future but Porsche will ensure through their pricing and strategies that an average retired person will never have a shot at that so from this point the brand can kiss my ***. I will never set foot again in a Porsche stealership, my local independent shop will get all my service and parts business.
It's been 2 years. Do you feel the same way today about Taycan? (P.S. Porsche is not charging for software updates)
Old 09-21-2021, 02:26 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
It's been 2 years. Do you feel the same way today about Taycan? (P.S. Porsche is not charging for software updates)
Meh, I think he's probably too busy telling kids to get off his lawn to respond. But lucky for him, the Taycan has been a total failure. Not.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:28 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

sales numbers:

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...rXCAz0mrwsDovs

Model X is outselling the Taycan.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:11 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Meh, I think he's probably too busy telling kids to get off his lawn to respond. But lucky for him, the Taycan has been a total failure. Not.
And he's a lot of fun at parties.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:16 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 255 Posts

This cross turismo is my first EV and I'm coming from a Range Rover Sport SVR, I have to say the car is amazing however 2 months into it as slick and cool as it is the novelty has worn off for me. I've been eyeing getting into another range rover. its a great car but maybe not all of us are ready to make that switch. I miss the start up of the engine, the changing of the gears just the shear mechanical nature of it. I'm sure we won't have a choice soon but it still lacks the drama that I think those of us on this board enjoy. It was fun for the first 2 months, now I hop in my 911 and drive everywhere!
Old 09-22-2021, 10:31 AM
smohr33
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
This cross turismo is my first EV and I'm coming from a Range Rover Sport SVR, I have to say the car is amazing however 2 months into it as slick and cool as it is the novelty has worn off for me. I've been eyeing getting into another range rover. its a great car but maybe not all of us are ready to make that switch. I miss the start up of the engine, the changing of the gears just the shear mechanical nature of it. I'm sure we won't have a choice soon but it still lacks the drama that I think those of us on this board enjoy. It was fun for the first 2 months, now I hop in my 911 and drive everywhere!
It's funny because I'm the exact opposite. I don't think I can go back to ICE for a daily driver now. A 911 for the weekend, different story. But I get in my wife's X5 and think, wow, this is such a step backwards.

Boost lag, downshifts, poor throttle response... it's working so hard to do what my Taycan does effortlessly. Man does it feel SLOW. And of course it never has gas in it, so every time I hop in, off the gas station we go, fun.

Like I said, would love a 911 for the weekends. Definitely have moments where I miss my 981 GTS. The noise, engagement, etc. But not 7 days a week. You could not pay me enough to trade my Taycan for a comparable Panamera, M5, E63.
The following 2 users liked this post by smohr33:
daveo4porsche (09-22-2021), whiz944 (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 12:25 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smohr33
It's funny because I'm the exact opposite. I don't think I can go back to ICE for a daily driver now. A 911 for the weekend, different story. But I get in my wife's X5 and think, wow, this is such a step backwards.

Like I said, would love a 911 for the weekends. Definitely have moments where I miss my 981 GTS. The noise, engagement, etc. But not 7 days a week. You could not pay me enough to trade my Taycan for a comparable Panamera, M5, E63.
Agreed.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 12:50 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
sales numbers:

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...rXCAz0mrwsDovs

Model X is outselling the Taycan.
AFAIK, the refresh X is still not in production yet. So there is a chance Taycan will pass the X in YTD sales.

Nonetheless, Teslas Q3 numbers will be wild. Their Chinese factory is in "ludicrous mode" supplying Europe and Asia - freeing up capacity at Fremont for N America. Mostly 3 and Y, though the refresh Model S has been in production since June. And importantly, the SR models are now using less expensive LFP battery chemistry instead of the more energy dense NCA chemistry. This latter point could be very interesting - as the Chinese have had a lock on LFP for a while now. But apparently some of the fundamental LFP patents expire next spring...

I've started seeing a significant number of ID.4s and e-Trons around. So VW in general may be "getting there". Meanwhile Ford seems to be having a lot of first year quality issues with the Mach-E. And, sadly, there are GMs issues with the LG-supplied battery packs in the Bolt E[U]V. So much for 120 years of manufacturing experience... (I know several people who own Bolts. I hope the new packs that are due out in October solve their problem. Many Hyundai/Kia EV owners seem to be in the same boat.)
Der-Schwabe (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 12:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by smohr33
It's funny because I'm the exact opposite. I don't think I can go back to ICE for a daily driver now.
This is my concern. After driving the Taycan Turbo in performance spec, I am a little worried that my GT4 may be a bit of a let down on the weekends. I'm hoping that variety will be the spice of life, but after driving the Taycan I couldn't imagine buying an ICE daily driver again. Then again, I haven't actually lived with an EV yet, so who knows.
daveo4porsche (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 02:12 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

i miss my mechanical adding machine vs my excel spreadsheet sheets for thousands of reclalculations when i change one number - the sound, the engagement, the pulling of the lever - there is nothing like it - and the smell of the ink and changing the ink ribbon. i don’t think i can use excel for daily work - count me out I just don’t see the engagement or craftsmanship in the software calculators
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
flygdchman (09-22-2021), thebishman (09-22-2021), whiz944 (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 06:20 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Agreed.
You guys must have a Turbo or Turbo S...I have a 4S and while it feels fast I'm not sure I feel like its faster than my 991.2 GTS...
Old 09-23-2021, 09:28 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You guys must have a Turbo or Turbo S...I have a 4S and while it feels fast I'm not sure I feel like its faster than my 991.2 GTS...
It's not a question on which is quickest/fastest. It's about utilizing an EV for daily use and having a 911 for weekends, DE events, The Dragon, etc...
Old 09-23-2021, 10:44 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

faster maybe not - more responsive certainly…and I do have a Turbo

I’ve been rocking a 2021 Cayenne TurboS eHybrid since April - and while that car has ooddles of power and is quite responsive - it doesn’t hold a candle to the Taycan - the Cayenne is big fast and brutish - the Taycan is just simply sublime and much much much more responsive to power application - I can say the same about my GT3 vs. the Taycan…

even an excellent ICE doesn’t hold a candle to smooth, instant and linear power you get with an excellent EV…

GT3 for the track please
Taycan for my Daily Driver
Cayenne Hybrid for only as long as there isn’t a pure EV alternative…

for me - there is just no comparision - I’ll take the instance/smooth power of the EV drive train over virutally any ICE drive train - they are just tooooo brutish for me and lack the elegance and responsiveness of an excellent and well done EV system.
XLR82XS (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 11:13 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,333 Likes on 701 Posts

IMHO, you need a Turbo or no reason to bother with a Taycan.

The 4S is slower than my 55K model 3 performance.

I would never get a Tesla model S as a six figure car requires much better suspension, fit/finish than a Tesla, such as the model S.

However the model 3 performance (with coil overs) is so fast, so tossable, and such a good daily at only 55K, that I would have to buy a Turbo if I were to get a Taycan.

Last edited by Drifting; 09-23-2021 at 11:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drifting:
daveo4porsche (09-23-2021), Der-Schwabe (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 11:39 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Drifting
IMHO, you need a Turbo or no reason to bother with a Taycan.

The 4S is slower than my 55K model 3 performance.
And my GT4 is slower than a Dodge Demon. Does that mean I shoulda bought the Dodge?

Quick Reply: EV Starting Point, Taycan commentary and criticism welcome...