Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Production Taycan Interior Dash Revealed Via Apple Music Integration Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019 | 10:21 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog

What has me baffled is why would anyone think Porsche couldn't produce a great EV - battery and electric motor technology is not complex and Porsche know how to produce world class performance cars.
1. Because people have been promising the "Tesla Killer" for years and no one has yet to match the range / acceleration of a Model S introduced in 2012, much less the 2018 refresh.

2. Battery and electric motor tech must be much more complex than you give it. BMW's i3 was a dedicated BEV with a carbon frame and lightweight panels, skinny bike tires, and super aero and all it could manage was 80 miles on a full charge. The Leaf was launched without proper battery management and has some huge amounts of degradation. And so on, and so forth. Tesla has problems, sure. But they seem to still be really far ahead of the others. Still.

3. Because Porsche and Audi are under the same umbrella and the ETron's range is pathetic and the consumption is high.

I would counter by saying that every Tesla owner / supporter here has been way more positive about the Taycan than you give them credit for, including myself. If you want to see real Tesla fanbois, venture over to the forum on Tesla's website. You can't even mention your car has a problem there or you're labeled a FUDster. Or scroll around on twitter for a few hours. Those are the real "Elon is our god" blind fans. In fact, I'd say that the Tesla owners and fans on here have been pretty good about acknowledging where the Taycan's strengths are and how the car will be better than any Tesla built. There seems to be a lot more resistance by some posters in giving Tesla credit for any of their accomplishments than the other way around.
The following 3 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
daveo4porsche (09-03-2019), destaccado (09-03-2019), MaxLTV (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019 | 11:47 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
1. Because people have been promising the "Tesla Killer" for years and no one has yet to match the range / acceleration of a Model S introduced in 2012, much less the 2018 refresh.

2. Battery and electric motor tech must be much more complex than you give it. BMW's i3 was a dedicated BEV with a carbon frame and lightweight panels, skinny bike tires, and super aero and all it could manage was 80 miles on a full charge. The Leaf was launched without proper battery management and has some huge amounts of degradation. And so on, and so forth. Tesla has problems, sure. But they seem to still be really far ahead of the others. Still.

3. Because Porsche and Audi are under the same umbrella and the ETron's range is pathetic and the consumption is high.

I would counter by saying that every Tesla owner / supporter here has been way more positive about the Taycan than you give them credit for, including myself. If you want to see real Tesla fanbois, venture over to the forum on Tesla's website. You can't even mention your car has a problem there or you're labeled a FUDster. Or scroll around on twitter for a few hours. Those are the real "Elon is our god" blind fans. In fact, I'd say that the Tesla owners and fans on here have been pretty good about acknowledging where the Taycan's strengths are and how the car will be better than any Tesla built. There seems to be a lot more resistance by some posters in giving Tesla credit for any of their accomplishments than the other way around.
Well said.

People don't think Porsche can produce a great EV because based on what's been released so far - they can't. Maybe tomorrow I'll be proven wrong but it looks like Porsche is going to match the performance Tesla offered a generation ago in a better-looking, better built car at a significantly higher price.

This car is probably going to be twice the price of Tesla and from the looks of what's been released so far - use slightly inferior tech. The reason to buy it is to get a non-vegan interior, good build quality and not be automatically associated with your neighbor that used to drive a Prius.

I'm guessing the first generation Taycan will be a fail and have huge depreciation. The second generation will probably catch Tesla about the time Tesla goes belly up since if they aren't making money already - they probably never will be.
The following users liked this post:
AlecG (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019 | 11:51 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
Porsche know how to produce world class performance cars.
Porsche doesn't produce a whole lot actually. They assemble cars based on parts purchased from the greater Stuttgart German automotive industry.

Therefore, I'm guessing they're using the same second-rate EV components that Audi was able to source for the e-Tron.

I expect the Taycan will have first tier components in things like suspension and braking but the actual EV components in this first generation will be inferior to what Tesla offers.
Old 09-03-2019 | 12:08 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by destaccado
Porsche doesn't produce a whole lot actually. They assemble cars based on parts purchased from the greater Stuttgart German automotive industry.

Therefore, I'm guessing they're using the same second-rate EV components that Audi was able to source for the e-Tron.

I expect the Taycan will have first tier components in things like suspension and braking but the actual EV components in this first generation will be inferior to what Tesla offers.
Hard to say on that. On the one hand, you're correct. There is a lot of imperical evidence in the greater VAG camp (i.e. the Etron) pointing in that direction. On the other hand, I don't think anyone's done two-dozen-odd 0-200 kph launches in an Etron to see if it could handle it. Audi may have phoned it in a bit on the Etron, either figuring the range was "good enough" or to meet a price point?

Porsche has more at stake. They can't afford to have that big of a gaffe when launching a "performance" EV. So I would guess that they have spent more in resources and hardware trying to get better performance. Etron doesn't have a gearbox after all, so there may be more hardware changes lurking that we don't know about.

I want to have faith that Porsche, as a performance brand, did more to differentiate themselves. We'll see if I'm right.
Old 09-03-2019 | 02:45 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

You'd think the Taycan should be more efficient using an 800V system and a 2 speed gear set. If Tesla runs more efficiently at 120kph I'll be very disappointed in Porsche. I don't think the Taycan will regen as aggressively as other ev's but this should wash out on a loop distance test. I also think Porsche will be more conservative with their software control systems which will likely reduce range. There is always a trade-off.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (09-03-2019)
Old 09-04-2019 | 04:02 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Well you are conveniently ignoring what we know so far - only the range is in question at this point. I would also point out that Porsche have done this from scratch and not used consumers as guinea pigs.

Battery technology and electric motors are not complex at all - the principles, the physics and electrochemistry are very simple for anyone with a good scientific background - don't believe me, start with Maxwells equations.

I'm not interested in the world of Tesla Fanbois - they are some of the most profoundly ignorant, ill informed people I have ever come across - they see the world through a narrow and naive prism that fails to understand other perspectives, cultures and even economies. However, what is for certain most are from the US and are largely involved in the so called tech sector. They do a great disservice to both that industry and their fellow country men and women.

Remember this, the world fully understands that the US has been the worlds dominant polluter for over 75 years and that ignominious baton has only recently been handed on to the PRC. So frankly I'm not interested in the Tesla owners view on the environment or what the master of market spin "electric Jesus" and his "disciples" has/have to say on anything.

Its a Porsche forum...........I'm not interested in Tesla products because I don't think they are well made, well designed and may not even have much of a future - I have not seen anything that would cause me a change my position. In contrast, I like Porsche products because they are well made, well designed and will clearly have a future.

A car is a car irrespective of its power source. So when I buy an EV it will have to do the things I want it do at the price point I'm prepared to pay. The Taycan is probably the first EV I would genuinely consider, why because its the first EV that may drive like a true performance car and deliver an emotive experience.

Last edited by groundhog; 09-04-2019 at 04:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by groundhog:
AlecG (09-04-2019), wdr911 (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019 | 03:21 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
the display @ 286 km @ 75% battery - yields a calculation of 381 km or 236.742 miles @ 100 % - which is disappointment for Taycan's range…vs Model S or model 3 - that's barely more range than the Model 3 SR, and a lot less range than the Model 3 LR and the Model S at 350 miles range…

90 kWh battery @ 236 miles = 381 wh/mile or 2.62 miles/kWh - that's about equal to my Model X efficiency - actually my Model X gets like 361 wh/mile - hmmmmm this is disappointing and establishes a trend for the German EV's - so far none of them come close to Tesla on efficiency (iPace, eTron, and now the Taycan)…and yet this forum is full of people saying Tesla has nothing on the established automakers…

I'm hoping for a rendering error or just place holder graphics…but if it's actually 236 miles range (which the display indicates) that's going to be very disappointing and make me consider not purchasing one…
and what do you know - the picture was about right…funny that a meticulous company like Porsche actually did release the range figures - the reason we've not heard anything about it is because it sucks! and Porsche is desperately trying to distract you with any OTHER fact the range of this 5,100 lbs late comer - the graphic did in fact disclose likely range of the Taycan.

Quick Reply: Production Taycan Interior Dash Revealed Via Apple Music Integration Announcement