Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 10:10 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by acoste
in 5+ years
Like I said, I didn't buy it.

It has a basic hardware flaw that can't be fixed. Recent accidents in 2018 (Mountain View and 2 fire trucks) show there is no improvement in safety.
Autosteer requires that you have your hands on the wheel and pay attention to the road. While I've found the autopilot features quite useful, I don't violate those constraints. There absolutely are situations where I take over control. It's not like it is a big deal. Just steer where you want to go and the system disables itself. Press the right stalk down twice and it re-engages. (Then press four times rapidly to turn on "more cowbell/Rainbow Road" mode.)

FWIW, My wife was actually caught up in the traffic jam in the aftermath of the Mountain View accident. I've driven by that exact same location many times - both taking the Highway 85 flyover and not, with autosteer engaged with no problem.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:38 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Picked up a Model S about four months ago for my wife ... we've have tried autopilot features only a few times and wasn't all that impressed with its performance except as an ACC in generally moving freeway situations ... in stop/go freeway situations, the car had a tendency to mimic the poor driving habits of the car in front of me as opposed to trying to do some form of reasonable averaging to smooth things out and this can be annoying. Likely something that could be done by carefully (and constantly) adjusting the set speed but it seems crazy to have to focus that much energy on something that the car should be better able to figure out. I have to admit that I've not re-tried any of these features since the Software Version 9 update.

Anyway, we got the Model S not for autopilot but for the fun of driving a car that simply quietly goes where you point it and does it fast without making any fuss ... a really cool experience, especially with being able to drive using only a single pedal most of the time (regenerative breaking rules ).

Of course, a great driving experience is why I also choose to own a Porsche 911 (combined with being one of the most beautiful cars in the world). Let's hope that that is the focus of Taycan when it finally hits the market.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:21 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Another accident happened in Florida recently.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/10...car-at-80-mph/
Old 11-01-2018, 03:49 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

I found an article about comparing the S and the Taycan. Not very detailed but good overview.

http://quickelectron.com/tesla-model...-and-features/
Old 11-02-2018, 12:01 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Regarding ACC, I've used it a lot in rental cars and my 2018 Panamera this past year, and now when I drive our cars that lack ACC, I actually find myself a little more wary and having to focus more on the cars in front of me in traffic. This sort of software will cause changes in the driving population in ways that perhaps haven't been fully thought out, particularly for people going back and forth between cars with heavy assist software and those that don't (as in many rental cars, for those of us who rent cars a lot when we travel for business or pleasure). It will be interesting when more-sophisticated, cheaper cars have more advanced software in rental vehicles like Toyotas and Hondas and Hyundais and Jeeps, etc.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:07 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by acoste
Another accident happened in Florida recently.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/10...car-at-80-mph/
This story makes me wonder how my 2018 Panamera would react in plain ACC mode or in Innodrive, to a stopped object on an expressway when travelling at highway speeds.
I know that at low speeds on city streets, warning sounds/lights go off and the car will stop.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:46 PM
acoste
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cometguy
This story makes me wonder how my 2018 Panamera would react in plain ACC mode or in Innodrive, to a stopped object on an expressway when travelling at highway speeds.
I know that at low speeds on city streets, warning sounds/lights go off and the car will stop.

Euro NCAP tested several systems. There are 3 radar suppliers, I assume they covered all. There is an Audi A6 there as well which may use the same radar.

https://www.youtube.com/user/euroncapcom/videos

Scroll down to the videos: "Euro NCAP 2018 Automated Testing : ...." from 2 weeks ago.

Quick Reply: Autopilot Tesla V. Porsche