Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SEC Prosecution re Federal Securities Laws

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 06:34 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

He used Bloomberg report, but if you go to their web page they clearly state that their method of collecting VIN only works well over the long run, in other words months!

See: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

Notice he somehow left out all the other charts since they don't support his story so well.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla and Bollinger fan)
Old 10-01-2018, 03:38 AM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Originally Posted by earl pottinger
He used Bloomberg report, but if you go to their web page they clearly state that their method of collecting VIN only works well over the long run, in other words months!

See: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

Notice he somehow left out all the other charts since they don't support his story so well.

Earl Colby Pottinger (Tesla and Bollinger fan)
Earl, Thanks for providing the link to the Bloomberg site. If readers have not visited it, I suggest it as a great read and perspective on production. They are constantly tweaking it to adjust for things like gaps in the sequence of Vin #'s and doing the best they can with an erratic scale up of Model 3 production. The market has also had to adjust for the delays in production on startup and now has to see if Tesla is producing the promised 6,000 cars per week for this quarter. This chart also shows a dramatic decline in production...

The big issue seems to be the gaps in the Vin # sequence and how to account for the missing/delayed cars.

In any case, it will be interesting to see what the company reports with the end of the quarter "all in" Sunday production push.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:38 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
You obviously missed the point, i.e. the SEC problem has gone away without it having a significant effect on either Elon or Tesla.
The key problem for Tesla is the Q3 report coming and Tesla's questionable profitability!
Tesla are still under investigation by the SEC.............for the production guidance underestimates (and I believe the DOJ).

Did you read the SEC findings? If not you should - they are findings from an investigation - not random musings of the internet crowd. As a Director of a company to have a finding of that type against you is very serious.

He will probably be investigated further for his internal employee briefings which are always leaked, some appear to contain information or not so subtle pointers to what may be deemed material.

You basically can't trust him and that has been settled by the SEC.

For what its worth they may get close to a profit this quarter - I have them booked at a small loss of around $USD50m. However, if the graph above is correct then I will need to revise, also this number is very dependent on timing of certain supplier payments. The business remains marginal and is still significantly overvalued even at $265. The ratio of assets to liabilities is about 1.25:1.........................

The stock will rebound to between $300 and $310................its like watching the movie the Big Short

Last edited by groundhog; 10-01-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:38 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Funny, I find it's more like watching the movie "Titanic".
Old 10-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb You obviously missed the point, i.e. the SEC problem has gone away without it having a significant effect on either Elon or Tesla.
The key problem for Tesla is the Q3 report coming and Tesla's questionable profitability!

Originally Posted by groundhog
Tesla are still under investigation by the SEC.............for the production guidance underestimates (and I believe the DOJ).
The stock will rebound to between $300 and $310
And it did, which speaks to the fact that the SEC issue once settled was a non-issue. The cost to Elon was about .10% of his Tesla wealth and less than .05% cost to the shareholders.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 10-01-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

And it did, which speaks to the fact that the SEC issue once settled was a non-issue. The cost to Elon was about .10% of his Tesla wealth and less than .05% cost to the shareholders.
Which makes it so perplexing that he chose to reject the original settlement and considered betting the company on the ability to win in court against a regulator who rarely loses these types of cases. The fact that he did that, and that the board let him do that, makes no sense to me. It reeks of arrogance and carelessness more than his stated 'integrity' nonsense. The SEC offered him what amounted to a get of jail free card and, for 48 hours at least, he chose to reject it and take a massive risk for no good reason. Wacky idea of good corporate governance, but at least he came to his senses and made the right decision.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:39 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Only one investigation has been settled.

Many shareholders have lost, for example those that purchased on the basis of his tweet and those that held market balancing and entirely legal short positions.

There is a lot more to come.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

After last nights/today's developments, one has to honestly ask if Elon Musk is mentally unstable and/or has substance abuse issues. After all that's happened in the last 10 days, what on earth would possess any mature person to say what he has said in the last 24 hours. Does he want to create a new shareholder lawsuit every week or so?
Old 10-06-2018, 02:01 AM
groundhog
Race Car

"short seller enrichment committee" - short selling is a legal and valuable form of trading. Short selling is a great balancing force in the market.

Given the SEC found against Musk "in truth and fact............" perhaps he would be better off apologising to his shareholders. Perhaps he should read his own company policies and be judged against them.

Perhaps he should step aside, the sooner the better.

Its pretty simple, he can try and dissemble all he likes however the the SEC investigation and outcome clearly found against him and Tesla. There wasn't a deal in place and funding wasn't secured period. Musk was found wanting in both "truth and fact"

His behaviour is causing damage to the brand and as a consequence hurting share holders. He is once again in breach of Directors duties by not acting in the best interests of all shareholders. He can't pick and choose between those that have a long position and those that have a short position.

Its a fallacy to suggest Musk is not replaceable - he isn't a visionary and he isn't an intellectual savant either.

I have a better call than Elons with regard to making short selling illegal (a position most knowledgeable market makers would disagree with strongly) enforce the rules, tear up the deal with Tesla and Musk and stand the directors who fell foul of the investigation down. By this I mean penalise them by not allowing them to serve as directors or company officers for three years. Musk would have to step down or go to court.

Personally I would like to see him go to court. He's going there anyway.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-06-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:26 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Judge has issued an order for Musk to write why he should be in CEO of this company. Judge has to approve the whole deal, and I can tell you that latest tweet is going to **** him off more than SEC.

Musk is truly either an idiot or bipolar.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:43 PM
groundhog
Race Car

It's actually got me beat as to why the Board hasn't reined him in. This is straightforward - if they aren't pulling him up they are directly complicit in the wanton destruction of shareholder wealth.

This is just wrong - here we have a situation where a person and a company have been found against by the SEC and instead of a mea culpa he doubles down against the regulator, against something that is entirely legal and given he is the CEO it appears that Tesla as a. company is complicit in this as well.

I don't think he is ill, however I do think he's incompetent as a CEO and this is being compounded by the stress of running a marginal venture.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:52 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
It's actually got me beat as to why the Board hasn't reined him in. This is straightforward -
It is fairly straightforward:
A) Musk is personally responsible for around $100 per share of value according to a number of estimates- should he leave that would evaporate.
B) He has insured there is no strong 2nd at the company, making his departure that much more damaging.
C) He has 3 of 9 board votes firmly under his control and 2 more “independent” members also likely in his pocket.

The combination gives him enough leverage to pull things like this:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/02/b...-musk-sec.html

The addition of new independent directors (assuming they are truly indipendent) will change the math. If he continues to tweet nonsense and the $100 per share premium is reduced that also changes the math.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Einhorn posited something on Friday that I was actually thinking - Musk just might be trying to get himself fired because he’s realized that he can’t make money on the affordable Model 3 and the whole thing’s about to come crashing down. Stranger things.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:28 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Einhorn posited something on Friday that I was actually thinking - Musk just might be trying to get himself fired because he’s realized that he can’t make money on the affordable Model 3 and the whole thing’s about to come crashing down. Stranger things.
That's a very popular rumor circulating around financial circles.

Get fired, company implodes, get off scott free. "See, if they had just kept me around, I'da made it work!".
Old 10-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Does anyone have the weekly delivery report for Q3 for Tesla? I was reading a short blog that showed reference to a supposed Tesla produced weekly delivery chart that just looked awful, but I've not been able to find that data or graphic anywhere else. I'm curious if the demand really has fallen off as much as the writer was claiming.

Quick Reply: SEC Prosecution re Federal Securities Laws