Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suicide doors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018 | 04:50 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Default suicide doors?

So far Porsche seems to be sticking with the suicide doors in all of their marketing materials related to the Taycan/Mission-E.

I wonder if three's any chance they'll surprise us by keeping them in the production version.

Wishful thinking?
Old 08-08-2018 | 01:03 AM
jnolan
Pro

Yes, wishful.
Old 08-08-2018 | 07:10 AM
cluster_fsck
Instructor

Yup, not a thing. I love the concept, but reality is that very few modern cars have suicide doors, primarily for safety reasons. I suspect Porsche used them on the concept as a way to highlight the interior design, without a plan to ever bring them to production.

I’ve wondered if they had any idea how much interest the Mission E concept would generate and how many of us fell in love with the design. The 2015 reveal was both a blessing and a curse for them as that design, while beautiful, isn’t realistic for production. Here’s hoping the Taycan comes close!
Old 08-14-2018 | 10:49 PM
tcbrown
Instructor

BMW I3 has suicide doors so it has been done recently, but word still is that Porsche will drop them from final Taycan. Sad
Old 08-14-2018 | 11:55 PM
Hansel
Instructor

I have an i3. I can’t stand the doors. It’s a PITA getting people into the back seat when parked in any kind of normal parking space as the front door has to open first so it ends up being a little dance for the person getting in the front and the person getting in the back.
Old 08-18-2018 | 03:03 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hansel
I have an i3. I can’t stand the doors. It’s a PITA getting people into the back seat when parked in any kind of normal parking space as the front door has to open first so it ends up being a little dance for the person getting in the front and the person getting in the back.
I had an i3 extended test drive and I have a narrow garage. I noticed exactly the same thing. It was a giant PITA to get my kids in and out of the back. A co-worker of mine had a Cab and a half truck with those suicide doors. When we would take his truck to lunch 4 up, getting in and out totally sucked. Especially since in both the i3 and the Silverado, you couldn’t open the rear doors independently, unlike a Rolls Royce. Also a giant PITA.

Suicide doors look cool but suck in real life.
Old 08-18-2018 | 03:04 PM
98Octane
3rd Gear

What makes you guys think they can't pull off the suicide doors?
Old 08-18-2018 | 08:18 PM
irule
Racer

I hope they do it.
and of course, if porsche does it, you wont have to open the front doors first!!!
Old 08-18-2018 | 08:19 PM
irule
Racer

Originally Posted by 98Octane
What makes you guys think they can't pull off the suicide doors?
b pillar on a very long car
Old 08-18-2018 | 09:08 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I'll formally go on record with no inside information and a SWAG (Scientific Wild *** Guess) there will be _NO_ suicide doors - lack of the "b" pillar would ruin the side impact crash test results - it's just not in the cards for a modern car that needs to be modern standardized safety testing.
Old 08-19-2018 | 09:46 AM
Ungjaevel
5th Gear

Hello from a lurker.

I second the SWAG re: B-pillar. For a sports car it's not in the cards.

And from what I hear many of the BMW I3 owners are complaining..

The doors looks nice on pictures. But does not compute in real life.
Old 08-19-2018 | 10:06 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Not sure if it’s still true but when side impact standards were first implemented coupes couldn’t meet the standard because the lack of a strong B piller, so the standard was reduced for them.
I was the recipient of a side impact on a 2012 four door sedan. The A and B piller regions were fine but the C region caved in and required extensive work to restore. So I’m not sure how, without adding lots of weight, suicide doors would protect the passengers. Even if they could provide equivalent protection, imagine the lawsuits if someone was seriously injured.
Old 08-19-2018 | 12:28 PM
98Octane
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Fredrik Svane
Hello from a lurker.

I second the SWAG re: B-pillar. For a sports car it's not in the cards.

And from what I hear many of the BMW I3 owners are complaining..

The doors looks nice on pictures. But does not compute in real life.
I'm pretty sure they're gonna have two door handles for both the front and rear. I mean, they're not building an FJ cruiser here.
Old 08-20-2018 | 02:29 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

now I think you could suicide doors with a "B" pillar -but that would kinda defeat the point IMHO

so I'll stand by my swag - no suicide doors - with the major reason being side impact collision safety ratings…and the goal of suicide doos is to lack a "B" pillar for that open cavity feeling when both doors are open - also seat belts for the front seats are easier with a "B" pillar

if they do deliver with suicide doors I believe it would be "with" a "B" pillar for structural integrity - but they would technically be suicide doors, but not what I believe we all want from that type of configuration…
Old 08-20-2018 | 02:31 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I think this is what we were all hoping for!

Quick Reply: suicide doors?