Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Topic: Tesla Model 3 Performance - track mode!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 12:18 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 1,777 Posts
Default Off Topic: Tesla Model 3 Performance - track mode!

hmmmm - Tesla's changed it's game up somewhat - the Model 3 performance now has "track mode" as a driving setting…

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ce-track-test/

interesting…
Old 08-05-2018, 12:26 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

they are finally doing it - using the milli-second level control you can achieve with a dual motor system to build a wicked torque vectoring system on par -if not superior to any existing mechanical based system…hmmm this is getting interesting.

still have Battery thermal issues, but software tuning for "track mode" means some Model 3 P's might be showing up at GGR PCA events - and might run a decent lap - we'll see.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:28 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

wow - fascinating read - they can shift thermal load from the overheated EV motors to the batteries as a heat sync and then cool the batteries - it still lacks the stamina of a ICE car, but does much better than previous EV's - still not there yet for more than 4 laps, but way better than the 3/4 laps I'm used to with my Model S…
Old 08-05-2018, 12:36 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

$75,500 - Federal $7,500 rebate (maybe more in your state) means a $68k performance model delivered in 2-4 months - ask me and I'll toss you my referral link and you'll get unlimited supercharging thrown in…and I'll get Tesla swag (probably a jacket)

and at least 18 months before the Taycan - this in my opinion is getting really really interesting…
Old 08-05-2018, 12:46 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

glimpse the future of the roadster…mmmmmm interesting - very very interesting - this is going to get fun - man I love competition - hopefully Porsche rises to the occasion.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Where Porsche has a real opportunity in my opinion is as a true electric driver's car. The Model 3, even with track mode, misses the mark in my current opinion (I have a M3D coming in 2 days and my brother in law has a P3D coming shortly after, so we'll see if my opinion changes with miles).

The Model 3 is in some ways the anti drivers car. This makes sense when you realize it was designed to be the first self-driving taxi, so it wasn't designed around the driver at all. Suddenly the offset display makes perfect sense, because it's intentionally not designed for the driver. As does the lack of manual switches- everything, right down to the glove box, can be electronically locked out when you've got fare on board.

None of that is what you want if you're driving, unfortunately- you want the displays and interface to be simple, clear and easy to use without distraction. You also want to be in control, something the M3 doesn't fully allow. The P3D chassis and hardware is clearly capable, and it would probably be a blast at the autocross. It's the tuning philosophy, right down to the "no tire noise on takeoff" and lack of power on oversteer, that falls well short.

That leaves Porsche a clear opportunity if they can take advantage of it. I understand Porsche is also using a different battery chemistry that's capable of far more agressive charge/ discharge cycles (but unfortunately at a higher cost). Together with different tuning this might make a car I'd want to take to the track. As it is I didn't spring for the Performance because I could never imagine skipping a track day or autocross in the GT3 in order to bring the Tesla. I could see using some of those features on the road, but that's not what they are tuning for, at least not yet.

It will be interesting to see how Tesla's philosophy develops over time and how Porsche is able to compete. My current blink is that if you're looking for a commuter Tesla has the usual suspects well covered (Audi A3, S3, A4, S4, BMW 3 series, mercs, etc in near luxury). If you're looking for a real driver's car (and you know how to drive) they're not covering the M2s or Porsches even with the M3 Performance. At least not yet...

Last edited by Petevb; 08-06-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:26 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Do you guys really think the Model 3 is on par with BMW 3/4 Series and Audi A4/5 level of luxury? I have yet to sit in one, but based on the pictures and based on the Model S I've ridden in, it seems lacking.

Based on reviews it seems like the driving experience is at least on par which is really good.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:09 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manitou202
Do you guys really think the Model 3 is on par with BMW 3/4 Series and Audi A4/5 level of luxury? I have yet to sit in one, but based on the pictures and based on the Model S I've ridden in, it seems lacking.
On the relative "level of luxury" vs BMW and Audi it depends. My wife has a 2018 Audi so I'll have a very good comparison shortly, but I already know they are very different. The Model 3 is a modern hyper minimalist design that's exectuted far better than others that have tried something similar IMHO (BMW i3, etc). In the short time I've spent in one it felt better than it looked in pictures, also significantly better quality than the Model S (to me). Let's hope it wears and ages better as well (I suspect it will, but that's not saying much in my limited experience).

On the other hand there are certainly some "luxury" cues clearly missing on the Model 3. The doors are very light, and they close with a slightly chintzy smack rather than the solid thunk that's so satisfying in a big older merc or BMW. Personally some of the highest quality doors I've ever closed were lightweight carbon fiber, so I don't necessarily connect "light" with "cheap", but it was one of the first things my wife noticed. That said she still much prefers the Model 3 to her Audi, and that's excluding driving dynamics. I already know we're going to be fighting over the Model 3 keys on weekdays, which pretty much sums it up (for our sample size of two) given the Audi and GT3 that will be sitting in the garage next to it.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:20 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Pete I’m happy to help with your home charging setup for advice - I’ve got a multi EV house hold and know how to plan for the future - I’m happy to speak with you if you think it would help.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:35 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Pete I’m happy to help with your home charging setup for advice - I’ve got a multi EV house hold and know how to plan for the future - I’m happy to speak with you if you think it would help.
I've already got a Nema 14-50 installed next to the car, so I think I'm in pretty good shape for now, though I don't have a fast charger beyond what comes with it.

Honestly I don't expect to charge at home much- we've got 8 level 2 chargers installed at work free for employees to use, and we now cycle through more than 16 cars per day. Given the range and use I suspect plugging in at home will be rare.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:47 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 742 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202

Based on reviews it seems like the driving experience is at least on par which is really good.
Not a chance, check out some youtube videos. The Model3 is going to get a "2.0" treatment next year I will predict, once the order backlog completes. The ergonomics of the ipad-does-it-all dash are down right dangerous - you have to take your eyes off the road for every action. The car needs a HUD, other interior changes. The rear seat is almost useless for full sized adults. And right now you pay $60K for a $40K car.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:42 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nyca
right now you pay $60K for a $40K car.
Curious... What 40k car would you recommend instead?

When I spec an Audi S3 identically to the M3 Dual Motor I've got on order I get very similar numbers. Less than $500 difference with the federal tax credit (not including state, which in CA would give the M3 a $3k advantage). Rear seat the Tesla has 1.5" more headroom and slightly more legroom (same leg and headroom as the S4, +/-), front seat it's well ahead on both. The Tesla's quicker (response, 0-60, etc). Dynamically between the turbo lag, DCT and chassis the S3 has issues (based on 3 years ownership experience) and the M3 seems miles ahead- an advantage that can't be understated. M3 fit and finish definitely started awful, but recent cars have made huge strides in that department, while the S3 interior was also nothing to write home about.

I agree the center display is a serious flaw for most, and we'll see how that plays out in the real world soon, but I'd like to know what $40k package (or $46.5k, which is what I'm paying) you feel is superior overall?

Last edited by Petevb; 08-05-2018 at 11:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Off Topic: Tesla Model 3 Performance - track mode!