Sponsored by:

InnoDrive vs Tesla AutoPilot

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 03:24 PM
Calkar
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default InnoDrive vs Tesla AutoPilot

I am sure there are a lot of Taycan owners who were at one point a Tesla owner. I am also planning for the switch from Tesla to Taycan as we currently have a Model X but have owned another Model X and Model S before this X. This car will be for my wife and one of her criteria is that the Porsche InnoDrive has to be comparable to the basic AP from Tesla. So I would like to ask if someone who had experienced both systems can provide some feedback. Full Self-driving is not needed but we do enjoy the ability to have the system to keep the car centered in congestions and at highway speed. (i.e. basic AP feature) As my wife does like the ability to lotion her hands or grab a drink while cruising.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Paging @daveo4porsche
Old 02-09-2021, 04:08 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

@Calkar

Innodrive is no where near as good as Tesla autopilot - there are several places where innodrive will drive you right off the road vs. my Model
X and Model 3 - and the pace of improvement for Tesla is vastly quicker vs. Porsche (which is static).

Porsche’s Innodrive is adequate for hwy driving and adaptive cruise control - in fact I run with “innodrive” disable - and only use lane-keeping and adaptive cruise control - Innodrive has an annoying habit of trying to match speed limits and will suddenly slow down for no apparent reason when it detects a speed limit change - sometimes of which are phantom speed limit changes....

overall if your criteria is Tesla level auto-pilot there is no other vehicle that is as good - period full stop - if you want a acceptable adaptive cruise control and some modest lane keeping features Porsche/Audi’s offering are good enough for highway driving.

but if your wife is used to Tesla auto-pilot she will find the Porsche offering a serious step back.

I would recommend saving money and only spec’ing adaptive cruise control and lane keeping and not paying for Innodrive - I run with innodrive disabled and it matched “basic” highway auto-pilot and stop-n-go traffic usage.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 02-09-2021 at 04:49 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (02-10-2021), DerekS (07-27-2021), unclewill (02-10-2021), XLR82XS (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 04:12 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

I concur with Dave. My Tesla autopilot is great especially for road trips.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:25 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

my daily usage in pic below - save money on innodrive - but spec acc and active lane keeping

The following users liked this post:
DerekS (07-27-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 05:37 PM
Wiley Hodges
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I generally concur (Innodrive is really a smarter lane keeping system), but I will note that Innodrive has improved (probably due to nav database updates) in the past few weeks. I'm not getting the phantom/incorrect speed changes anymore that I would see pretty regularly. As far as I know they haven't updated the actual software, and I haven't been to the dealer for any updates.
The following 4 users liked this post by Wiley Hodges:
Calkar (02-10-2021), daveo4porsche (02-09-2021), Der-Schwabe (02-09-2021), Mike Kauzer (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 08:55 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

I have had the TTS for 4 months and have yet to use innodrive...i need to try it out so I can comment...but at this point, if you are used to and like to drive....innodrive is probably not worth it. I ordered just to be as curre t as possible with the latest self driving capabilities....i also agree that porsche self driving is at least 5 years behind tesla
Old 02-09-2021, 09:35 PM
Calkar
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
my daily usage in pic below - save money on innodrive - but spec acc and active lane keeping

Thanks for all the response. So I actually do not need Innodrive to get lane keeping feature? As I mentioned, we are only looking for the basic AP feature of adaptive cruise and centering the car at highway or in congestion. The most she would trust the car to do is to give her a few seconds to put lotion on or reach over and grab a drink of water. I was under the impression that I must get InnoDrive to get lane keeping. With the saved money, maybe I can get a few more pieces of carbon fiber.
daveo4porsche (02-09-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 11:50 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Calkar
Thanks for all the response. So I actually do not need Innodrive to get lane keeping feature? As I mentioned, we are only looking for the basic AP feature of adaptive cruise and centering the car at highway or in congestion. The most she would trust the car to do is to give her a few seconds to put lotion on or reach over and grab a drink of water. I was under the impression that I must get InnoDrive to get lane keeping. With the saved money, maybe I can get a few more pieces of carbon fiber.
I thought the same thing which was why I ordered it...but yes, you get basic lane and traffic following without innodrive. The car will follow curves decently as well without innodrive.

Last edited by lowpue; 02-10-2021 at 11:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lowpue:
Calkar (02-10-2021), daveo4porsche (02-10-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 08:02 AM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Bumping this thread because I am specing my Taycan build now. I understand that InnoDrive is underwhelming and not worth the money but it looks like ALK is still recommended. Can you get ALK without paying for InnoDrive?
Old 07-23-2021, 10:41 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

yes you can “ala-carte” ALK and ACC - but I recommend “getting” innodrive - but simply setting it up to be ACC only - you can do that in the vehicle’s configuration software when you’re setting up the car for yourself.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:52 AM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
yes you can “ala-carte” ALK and ACC - but I recommend “getting” innodrive - but simply setting it up to be ACC only - you can do that in the vehicle’s configuration software when you’re setting up the car for yourself.
I may be wrong- probably am. But running a build now (MY 2022) I’m getting LCA included with the Premium Package, then add ACC (P49) for an additional $2,050. But then I’m not seeing how to add ALK on top unless I also add InnoDrive, which adds another net $1560. So my questions are: (1) Am I missing something with the order, in terms of getting ALK a la carte, without also getting InnoDrive? (2) Does it make more sense to just get the “Technology Package, even though it has stuff I don’t care about? and (3) If not, is the ALK itself worth $1560, if the rest of InnoDrive should generally be disabled?

Thanks much for your time and input!

Last edited by Cajun Martyni; 07-23-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:54 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cajun Martyni
I may be wrong- probably am. But running a build now (MY 2022) I’m getting LCA included with the Premium Package, then add ACC (P49) for an additional $2,050. But then I’m not seeing how to add ALK on top unless I also add InnoDrive, which adds another net $1560. So my questions are: (1) Am I missing something with the order, in terms of getting ALK a la carte, without also getting InnoDrive? (2) Does it make more sense to just get the “Technology Package, even though it has stuff I don’t care about? and (3) If not, is the ALK itself worth $1560, if the rest of InnoDrive should generally be disabled?

Thanks much for your time and input!
grrr - this is a recent change in the configurator - I know it was there a few weeks ago…this is sad....

LCA - this is simply the lights in the mirror for blind spot
ALK - this will actually "steer" the car to keep it in the lane

personally I like both ACC (Adaptive Cruise control) and ALK - so I'd option Innodrive to just get ALK and then configured it as noted in my picture on this thread.

this seems to be a recent change in the configurator.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:29 PM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 105 Posts

My personal experience of InnoDrive on a 992 Turbo S:
It drives me up and down the mountain passes of the Swiss Alps without missing a single turn (hairpin turns) and with generous cornering speed.
Of course, it observes the legal speed limits when doing this.
I cannot compare to Tesla, as I do not drive that type of car.

The only drawback is when it sees a "speed sign" off the right hand side of the road I am driving (but that does not mean a speed limit for the road I am driving): it tends to believe it is applicable to the road I am driving. Just a very minor annoyance.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:00 PM
az2au
AutoX

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

My experience very much matches Dave's and I keep mine set exactly the same. My wife has a Model X with FSD and the autopilot capabilities including in that are so superior to InnoDrive that I just can't get used to tolerating InnoDrive. Occasionally I'll turn it on for a bit then I'll get annoyed by it and turn it off again. I'm always hopeful that one day I'll turn it on and love it. It took me many years not to be super annoyed by ACC so I might not be a great judge but, again, I actually think highly of the Tesla system. Perhaps my favorite thing about the Tesla system is that has finally forced my wife to understand when she should use her signals .
DerekS (07-27-2021)

Quick Reply: InnoDrive vs Tesla AutoPilot