Sponsored by:

Charging: Existing Tesla/EV/Porsche Customers - Future Taycan Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 07:32 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Default Charging: Existing Tesla/EV/Porsche Customers - Future Taycan Owners

this topic is well covered in the existing thread - https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan-a...or-taycan.html

but not everyone reads every thread - so I thought I would call this out - in it's own thread for visibility.

If you have an existing Tesla charging install that you are super happy with - and you are wondering if you can charge your Taycan using your existing Tesla chargers (both Wall Charger and Mobile Charger) - the answer is _YES_!!!

You only need to purchase the following adapter - and your Taycan can/will happily charge from your existing Tesla charging system

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JD...r-JDPTRSTB.htm

Basically this adapter coverts any Tesla L2 to a standard J-1772 plug - enabling your Tesla chargers to charge _ANY_ J-1772 EV (like the Taycan, but also Bolt, Cayenne Hybrid, Panamera eHybrid, Leaf, Mercedes, etc…)

This will allow you to integrate your Taycan into your existing EV garage and not have to switch between Tesla and standard J-1772 chargers.

I have tested my Dealer's demo Taycan using my home Tesla 100 amp charger via a jDapter - and the Taycan happily charged at it's full 40 amp charging rate @ 9.6 kW from my Tesla Wall Chargers - see picture below - the green light in the upper right shows the Taycan is charging, and the charger it's charging from is a Tesla Wall Charger!

Now I realize the Taycan comes with an excellent EVSE J-1772 charger included with the car - and I'm not suggesting you "NEED" this adapter, but for those who are customers of both companies a simple $239 adapter will enable you to Charge your Taycan at home and at _ANY_ Tesla L2 charger you may encounter in the wild.

Why is this simple adapter $239 - it seems expensive - and I agree 100%, but the best answer I've received so far is that the industry standard J-1772 plug is both a patented and licensed design item, and there are some minimum fees charged by the Patent/License holders that increase the cost of this simple connect by quite a bit - so we're kinda stuck (the J-1772 plug-alone with no labor parts is $65 on eBay for example)

I highly recommend this adapter for any serous EV road warrior because it effectively doubles your ability to use public chargers in the wild since you can now charge your EV/Taycan with standard J-1772 public chargers and also Tesla L2 chargers installed at businesses nationwide. See the link below for an overview of Tesla Destination Charging (L2) chargers installed nationwide! In the picture I've included below - all those "black" pins in the map are Tesla L2 chargers installed at businesses, hotels, golf courses, wineries, malls, etc…and if you have one of these Adapter in the frunk of your Taycan you can use these chargers also with permission of the business owner where the charger is installed.

Tesla Desintation chargers are normal L2 20-80 amp chargers installed/available at businesses - and mirrors the Porsche Charging Service for L2 chargers are destinations where people go.

There is no "network" and there is no membership required, and there is typically no billing - use of the chargers are at the descretion of the business owner where the charger is installed. All you need to use one of these L2 charger is a car that can plug-in - and the jDapter is the adapter that will let your J-1772 Taycan plug into _ANY_ Tesla L2 charger.

This adapter will NOT allow you to use the Tesla Supercharger network - sorry!

I have carried this adapter in my Bolt's for years and I use it both at home and while on the road - many times at hotels/business that may in some circumstances only have Tesla L2 chargers on site!

It's a must have for any serious EV owner in my opinion given the proliferation of Tesla L2 chargers over the past 8 years and is cheap insurance if you plan to drive around with your Taycan and want the maximum opportunity to charge your Taycan where ever you may find a charger (Tesla or otherwise).

https://www.tesla.com/findus?bounds=...tion%20charger

I'm happy to answer questions via PM or in this thread - but the simple answer is you can use Tesla L2 chargers if you purchase this adapter and being a long time EV owner I can assert this is a good thing to have access to more chargers when ever you can find them!

For existing Tesla owners this will preserve any existing Tesla charging infrastructure you may have installed and not require you to swap out for new charging hardware just because the Taycan uses a standard J-1772 plug.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
PistolPete (12-30-2019), SFsoundguy (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 08:12 PM
SFsoundguy
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree. I got a Tesla Tap for use with the eTron although I changed my Tesla garage charger for a ChargePoint when we switched from Tesla to Audi as I like the programming interface better then the Audi delay charge setup. I use at destination chargers

The following 2 users liked this post by SFsoundguy:
daveo4porsche (12-30-2019), W8MM (01-03-2020)
Old 12-30-2019, 08:17 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

@SFsoundguy +1 -both jDapter and TeslaTap are acceptable converters to enable J-1772 EV's to use Tesla L2 chargers! Well worth the investment as I have noted.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:34 PM
Bob Roberts
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche

I notice that have "Porsche Turbo Charging" in that picture.
Three questions:
1. Since this is Turbo charging, can you also charge a Taycan 4S here or only the Turbo and the Turbo S?
2. Does this actually use a turbo, and if not, why did they call it a turbo charger?
3. Will there eventually be a Turbo S charger that has a higher performance?
Old 12-30-2019, 08:38 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

Tony Williams, the guy behind quickchargepower, is a good guy and true EV enthusiast. I've met him in person, and been using one of his JESLAs with our Volt for years. A JESLA is a Tesla UMC with the Tesla plug cut off, and a J1772 plug installed in its place. The JDapter does essentially the same thing, but wasn't available at the time.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 08:47 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Roberts
I notice that have "Porsche Turbo Charging" in that picture.
Three questions:
1. Since this is Turbo charging, can you also charge a Taycan 4S here or only the Turbo and the Turbo S?
2. Does this actually use a turbo, and if not, why did they call it a turbo charger?
3. Will there eventually be a Turbo S charger that has a higher performance?
LOL - Yes - all the Taycan's regardless of Turbo designation can charge at the Porsche Turbo chargers
LOL - seems to be a theme with Porsche these days - mis-using "turbo"
LOL - one can only hope.

the charger in the picture on the Porsche website is a FastDC CCS charger - not the AC L2 chargers the text is mentioning.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:14 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 504 Posts

Hmm, since Tesla bundles a free charger adapter with their cars, isn't it simpler just to install a industrial standard wall charger at home and use the included adapter to charge Teslas?

I mean, Tesla eventually will need to migrate to the industrial standardized plug, they can't possibly think a propriety plug that only they uses will coexists with a industrial standard plug that everyone else uses forever.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:09 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

The Tesla chargers are slightly more elegant and easier to handle - also Tesla combines AC/DC on the high volatage pins at the Superchargers - I think they will have to eventually migrate to CCS at lease for fast charging (they already have in Europe - but so far haven't said what they plan to do in North America). But for now there are 1000's of Tesla L2 chargers in the world - and many people have Tesla L2 chargers in their homes - it will take some time for this existing Tesla L2 network to dissipate making the adapter less useful.

but you are correct you can move the other way and get a standard J-1772 charger and your Tesla will charge with that - but you still won't be able to use the Tesla L2 charger at your favorite golf course until they replace their Tesla Charger with a J-1772...so this adapter will be useful for a while.

for my personal case I have 3 Tesla Wall chargers configured to share a 100 amp circuit for shared load charging of up to 3 EV's at once - there is no cost effective replacement for that setup with J-1772 that offers the same feature set - up to 72 amps of charging happiness for my wife's Model X if it's the only car charging, and shared 26 AMP charging when I have the X, 3, and a Bolt charging at the same time, and ramping up the charge rate as each car finished it's charging session. Also after 2-3 years the Tesla Wall chargers have proven themselves to be quite reliable, and they "just work".

I'll be purchasing a jDapter for my Taycan Turbo and charging it using my existing Tesla chargers - I'll carry the Porsche Charger in the frunk as my mobile EVSE to charge the Taycan when I'm at Thunderhill ;-)

This adapter means I'll be able to charge my Taycan day 1 when I come home with zero changes to my existing EV charging infrastructure.

But I agree this adapter is not long for this world, but I believe the time frame is after 10-15 years, it will remain quite useful for at least the next 5-7 years.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 12-30-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:29 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Also there is a nifty "benefit" to the Tesla chargers that you don't get with the "industry standard" J-1772 chargers - there is a button on Tesla charging handles - if you press it it "opens" the charging port on your Tesla like magic - this bit of customization does not extend to the J-1772 industry standard charger handles.

I'm not suggesting that alone makes it worth while to install a Tesla charger vs. the standard charger - but it is a thing.

Also for daily use not having the J-1772 adapter out for charging the car means you don't "forget" it a home can can't use the J-1772 chargers at work ;-)

but again you are correct - you can go both ways…you can adapt the Taycan to the Tesla connector type, or you can adapt the Tesla to the J-1772 type…it's all a matter of what works for you. I still prefer the Tesla chargers for the following reason
  1. They work the best for daily use with Teslas of which I currently own 2, and I own zero Taycans
  2. Tesla makes the "best" home wall Charger in my opinion for the following reasons
    1. it's adjustable to your install from 20-80 amps - so it works with ANY type of install
    2. it's very reasonably priced - $500 for it's feature set is very competitive at that price point for a home charger - my 3 Tesla wall chargers were in total only slightly more than Porsche charges for it's single 40 amp charger included with the Taycan.
    3. It's the only charger for less than $2000 (each) that I've found that supports sharing a single circuit (in any AMP rating) for up to 4 chargers (1 master and up to 3 slaves) - making multi-EV households much easier for charging multiple cars at once
  3. It has the nifty button that opens the charge port door on your Tesla -
  4. The connector is smaller and easier to handle vs. the J-1772 connector type - just ask my wife and daughter - they consider the J-1772 charging handle to be design fail given their experience with the sleek Tesla charging handle.
I also posted this for existing Tesla customers that are considering another EV (Taycan) now that good alternatives are entering the market place - this adapter will let them preserve their existing EV charger investment, and if they choose to migrate to the standard J-1772 connector they can do so more gradually using this item as a bridge technology and defer the expense of migration. I think it's beneficial to know day 1 that if you have Tesla chargers in your home this adapter will enable your Taycan day 1 to use your existing charging infrastructure.

And as I've mentioned before, there are several thousand Tesla L2 chargers in the wild and the adapter will let them use those chargers when they are out and about in the world (Napa for example has Tesla L2 chargers at nearly ever winery and very few J-1772 chargers - it will take time for all that existing infrastructure to migrate). Tesla gained this lead by making the chargers available for free to businesses willing to install them. So it turns out quite a few got installed - so there is an installed base of Tesla L2 chargers that are inaccessible to Taycan owners without this adapter.

But I agree with the sentiment that the long term trend is for Tesla's connector to die, but that will be sometime in the future and in the mean time this connector will remain useful for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 12-30-2019 at 10:53 PM.
W8MM (01-03-2020)
Old 12-30-2019, 10:38 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

here is a picture of Tesla L2 chargers accessible to Taycan owners if they have this adapter if they choose to visit Napa - I don't believe there will be a whole sale migration to J-1772 chargers at these locations anytime soon due the following reasons - if you have an adapter you can charge at these locations, if you do not have the adapter you may not be able to charge at these locations (a small fraction have both Tesla & J-1772 chargers).
  1. Tesla EV's vastly outnumber other EV's by quite a margin - and with the Model 3 that growth is continuing
  2. They are installed and working, so the if it ain't broke don't fix it will take over
  3. There is no wave of J-1772 EV's showing up any time soon in quantities that matter - while there are good EV choices for sale and on the horizon their volumes still pale compared to Tesla
  4. No one is offering these businesses "free" J-1772 chargers - so at a minimum they would have to choose to remove the existing Tesla charger and replace it with a J-1772 charger - electrically that's very easy, but it is time/labor + cost of a new charger - see item #2 again
  5. EV knowledge is still very limited and explaining the pros/cons of moving from the Tesla chargers to the J-1772 chargers is not a conversation anyone is necessarily having…and I doubt most business owners are giving it any thought - which means it's not going to happen.
It's like USB-C - which is the standard USB power connector in the Taycan - for the time being you're going to need USB-A adapters to use your devices in your Taycan - it's a bridge to the old world as the new world (USB-C) takes over. There is no question USB-C is the future, but for now you need adapters.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:55 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

about the time you replace your 2020 Taycan - it will be time to re-assess if the jDapter is still useful - for now you'll find this adapter useful for the useful life of your Taycan.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:25 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

daveo4porsche,

Do you recommend the 40W or 80W jDapter?
Old 12-31-2019, 01:43 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

@Toby Pennycuff 40 AMP is my recommendation for the Taycan - the _only_ reason to get the 80 is _if_ you think you are ever going to use a > 40 AMP J-1772 EV - and at the moment there are no > 40 amp j-1772 EV’s on the market (Bolt is 32, Taycan is 40 amps, eTron is 40 amps, iPace is 40 amps) - the only company producing EV's that can charge at more than 40 amps is Tesla - and even they have lost interest it appears, current product offerings top out at only 48 amps (where as they used to offer 72 & 80 AMP L2 configurations).

the rating that matters here is not what the Tesla L2 EVSE can provide - its what the j-1772 car can/will draw - the Taycan will ever only draw 40 AMPS.

the decision to purchase the 80 AMP version of the jDapter hinges on a few points:
  1. it has to be used with a Tesla EVSE that can produce more than 40 amps - only Tesla Wall chargers can be configured for this to be true
  2. it would also have to be used with EV than can draw more than 40 amps - I'm unaware of any J-1772 EV that draws more than 40 amps
  3. both would have to be true at the same time - i.e. you have a 72 amp Tesla Wall charger being plugged into a J-1772 EV that would draw more than 40 amps
I do not see the 3 factors listed above as conspiring to be true very often, if ever. This will certainly never be true for the 2020 Taycan who's onboard L2 charger is limited to 40 amps.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 12-31-2019 at 02:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Toby Pennycuff (12-31-2019), W8MM (01-03-2020)
Old 12-31-2019, 02:42 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Got it Dave! Thanks!!!!
daveo4porsche (12-31-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 05:09 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Just wanted to say thank you @daveo4porsche for all of your informative posts. I haven't paid any attention at all to EV's until I saw the demo Taycans being delivered to dealers a few weeks ago.

With some vacation time off from work, I've managed to do a deep dive into the tech and your posts have by far been the most informative for a beginner like me.

Not sure I'll be an owner in the near future, but the tech is fascinating.

Thanks again and keep it up!

-Pete
The following 2 users liked this post by PistolPete:
daveo4porsche (12-31-2019), Toby Pennycuff (01-01-2020)

Quick Reply: Charging: Existing Tesla/EV/Porsche Customers - Future Taycan Owners