Sponsored by:

Charging for Taycan

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Kris O
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging for Taycan

I’m getting ready to begin finishing my garage and I have a deposit on a Taycan. I cannot seem to get a straight answer - right now I have a 40 AMP breaker dedicated but my dealer says I might need a 50 AMP and maybe a 100 AMP...

Anyone have a straight from Porsche answer?

I know the 100 AMP talk is for the future charging offerings but I’m not interested in that.

Thanks!!

Popular Reply

10-15-2019, 09:17 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Executive Summary:

The most straight forward install for your EV charging pleasure as a future North American Taycan owner is a NEMA 14-50 plug in your garage with a 50 amp breaker on that circuit. That will allow you to charge your Taycan at it's maximum L2 rate of 9.6 kW. Have your local electrician get you quote and get it installed ASAP.

if your existing electrical panel can not handle the addition of a 50 amp circuit - ask your electrician about a 30 amp circuit with NEMA plug - and get either a 6-30 or 14-30 supply cable ($0 porsche option) to charge your Taycan at 24 amps.

Read below for the gory details - but the executive summary is sufficient for those that do not care.

dealers don't know squat about charging an EV - and the degree to which they are wrong is truly impressive - you have no idea some of the stories I've heard from people as to what their dealer told them - it's truly amazing how wrong these guys are 99% of the time - it really puts the "value" of the dealer network in perspective when dealing with a new product type - and makes me realize these guys are pointless and it's only a matter of time until Porsche puts a "buy now" button on their configurator website…

Fact: the maximum level-2 (L2) AC charging rate for the 2020 North American Porsche Taycan is 9.6 kiloWatts (kW) - that is 240 volts @ 40 amps - Euro/Other models the max is 11 kW - the remainder of this post is for North American customers - advice for europe won’t come from me.

Fact: building code for a 40 amp EV charger requires a 20% "buffer" on the breaker/wire gauge for "continuous loads" - all EV chargers are considered continuous load because they can run at full rated capacity for more than 2 hours (there is virtually no other home appliance that does that not even AC) - therefore to achieve the maximum charging rate with a Taycan requires a 240 volt 50 amp breaker/circuit (50 with a 20% "buffer" is 40 amps)..

Fact: the Taycan (like all EV's) will charge at _ANY_ amp rate from 6 to 40 amps - if it's less than 40 amps it will just charge slower and take longer to fill the battery , but it can charge at _ANY_ rate - the EVSE (charger) advertises the maximum charge rate to the car when you plug it in - and the car adjust it's demand to not exceed the advertised rate. Most EVSE's come preconfigured for a certain number of amps and you can't change it. It's assume you install this device with the correct matching breaker/wire. Therefore if you buy a 16 amp charger for Chevy Volt and install it correctly. If you plug that charger into a Taycan, the Taycan will charge at 16 amps. The charger has no magic and it can't "sample" your electric system/circuit and determine how big the wire or your breaker is - it's a hard-coded type of thing. So best to install a charger that matches the breaker and wire, and then your EV/car will do the right thing.

I've charged my Tesla at 6 amps (yes 240 volts at 6 amps) - an EE friend of mine built a EVSE/J-1772 charger back in 2009 to charge his converted VW beetle - and he built a 6 amp charger with off the shelf pieces - and my Tesla which can charge at 72 amps maximum, happily charged at 6 amps when it was plugged in while visiting him - it didn't get very far, but it did charge it and it just sat there charging at 1,440 watts. So I'm fairly confident your Taycan can charge at any rate up to it's maximum - it's all based on what the EVSE advertises as it's maximum amperage.

Fact: Any J-1772 charger will charge the Taycan, and there are many choices for J-1772 chargers from 6-80 amps - your friends Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, Bolt charger that came with the car and plugs into a normal household plug will charge a Taycan - very slowly - but it will charge it!

Fact: Since the charger comes with the Porsche for now as a mandatory option there is no reason to buy an EV charger since the car comes with an excellent (although overpriced by 3x) EVSE to charge the car.

your current 40 amp circuit would only be rated for 32 amps when being used to charge an EV - there are plenty of 32/40 amp EV chargers you could purchase (J-1772) and they all would charge the Taycan just fine at 32 amps (7.2 kW) - but the charger that Porsche includes only has options for a 50 amp supply cable (40 amp charge rate), or a 30 amp supply cable (24 amp charge rate). There is no supply cable from Porsche for a 40 amp circuit to achieve a 32 amp charge rate. (in fact I don't know of any NEMA plug for 40 amps, there are NEMA 30 amp plugs, and NEMA 50 amp plugs, but there is no socket/plug standard for 40 amps).

your plug choices from Porsche for charging the Taycan are:
  • NEMA 14-50 plug - 50 amp breaker leading to a 40 amp charge rate - 9.6 kW
  • NEMA 6-50 plug - 50 amp breaker leading to a 40 amp charge rate - 9.6 kW
  • NEMA 6-30 plug- 30 amp breaker leading to a 24 amp charge rate - 5.76 kW
  • NEMA 14-30 plug - 30 amp breaker leading to a 24 amp charge rate - 5.76 kW

the Taycan's battery is 93 kWh - to figure charge time when empty take the battery size (93 kWh) and divide by the charge rate (9.6 or 5.77 from above) - the resulting number will be the minimum time in hours to fully charge the Taycan from empty - round the number up since charging isn't 100% efficient and there is some slop - the time you arrive at will be the worse case charging time for your Taycan - since most daily driving is less than 60 miles (98% according to statistics) you will rarely need to charge the Taycan from empty.

the Porsche Mobile charger that comes with the car will adjust it's charging rate based on what type of "supply cable" you currently have attached to the EV charger - but it's maximum charge rate is 40 amps and it comes by default with a NEMA 14-50 plug supply cable. NEMA 14-50 plugs are what you find in RV parks which provide 240 volt 50 amp service to RV's for their power needs - this is the most common 50 amp L2 plug you are likely to encounter in North America.

the North American charging standard is called J-1772- and the Taycan should work with _ANY_ J-1772 based charger - and you can purchase J-1772 chargers in various power sizes from 6-80 amps. Anything more than 40 amps is wasted on the Taycan since it's maximum charge rate is 40 amps - but there are other EV's that can charge at more than 40 amps - just not the Taycan. The Model 3 for example in certain configurations will charge at 48 amps (60 amp breaker). My 2017 P100D Model X can charge at 72 amps (90 amp breaker) and my 2014 Model S P85D had a maximum charge rate of 80 amps (100 amp breaker). Most non-Tesla EV's charge at either 32 amps (maximum) or 40 amps (maximum) - hybrids tend to charge at either 3.6 kW (16 amps) or like 24 amps (5.76 kW) (smaller batteries don't need has many kWh's so no need to have a bigger "pump".)

to confuse potential EV charging customers the EV charging industry has not settled on a standard nomenclature for EV chargers - not all 40 amp chargers are the same - it comes down to 40 amp being ambiguous - the ambiguity is one of two ways

1. the 40 amp rating may refer to the breaker that charger requires - which means it will only charge at 32 amps
2. the 40 amp rating may refer to the EV charge rate that charger provides - which means you need a breaker that is 20% larger than the charger rating (40 amp charger requires a 50 amp breaker to meet building code requirements).

when purchasing an EV charger make sure you understand the difference and buy appropriately.

_ANY_ J-1772 charger will charge the Taycan - just make sure the charger you install is provisioned with the correct breaker and wire for it's rated charging capacity.

Most Taycan owners will not be in the market for an EV charger as the car comes with a high quality mobile 240 volt/ 40 amp charger included with a NEMA 14-50 adapter cable as standard. It is also interesting to note that at the moment you can not order a Taycan without the Porsche charger and the Porsche charger is about 3x the cost of normal J-1772 chargers for identical feature set/charge rate. There are many many excellent $400 40 AMP J-1772 chargers to choose from most of which are high quality and will work just fine with the Taycan, the Taycan's charger is also high quality but about $1200 and currently not optional as part of the purchase.

Therefore the most straight forward install for your EV charging pleasure as a future Taycan owner is a NEMA 14-50 plug in your garage with a 50 amp breaker on that circuit. That will allow you to charge your Taycan at it's maximum L2 rate of 9.6 kW. Have you local electrician get you quote and get it installed ASAP.

the real issue is to make sure the wire/breaker are rated for the amperage - if you don't have the correct type of wire it's a real fire danger and it could overheat - EV chargers are special in the world of home appliances in that they are the only devices in your home that will draw at their maximum rated capacity for hours on end (10-12 hours to fully charge an EV from empty). Most home wiring and breakers are not up to that sort of task so I really recommend wire that is rated for the amperage your intend to charge at or more - there is no harm for example installing 100 amp wire, and then using an 50 amp breaker to charge at 40 amps - the wire is "over spec" for that application and it will run cooler and have less voltage loss and heat problems.

Don't cheap out on the EV charging circuit, and with some proper planning you'll only do it once and it will work for ALL your current and future EV's.

100 amps would be advisable if you forsee multiple EV's in your future, and it will make it easier to have more than 1 EV charging at once - but is wholly un-necessary for the Taycan.

you might find the following Thread helpful. I hope this helps.

https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan-a...-how-long.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan-a...-ev-owner.html
Old 10-15-2019, 09:17 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Executive Summary:

The most straight forward install for your EV charging pleasure as a future North American Taycan owner is a NEMA 14-50 plug in your garage with a 50 amp breaker on that circuit. That will allow you to charge your Taycan at it's maximum L2 rate of 9.6 kW. Have your local electrician get you quote and get it installed ASAP.

if your existing electrical panel can not handle the addition of a 50 amp circuit - ask your electrician about a 30 amp circuit with NEMA plug - and get either a 6-30 or 14-30 supply cable ($0 porsche option) to charge your Taycan at 24 amps.

Read below for the gory details - but the executive summary is sufficient for those that do not care.

dealers don't know squat about charging an EV - and the degree to which they are wrong is truly impressive - you have no idea some of the stories I've heard from people as to what their dealer told them - it's truly amazing how wrong these guys are 99% of the time - it really puts the "value" of the dealer network in perspective when dealing with a new product type - and makes me realize these guys are pointless and it's only a matter of time until Porsche puts a "buy now" button on their configurator website…

Fact: the maximum level-2 (L2) AC charging rate for the 2020 North American Porsche Taycan is 9.6 kiloWatts (kW) - that is 240 volts @ 40 amps - Euro/Other models the max is 11 kW - the remainder of this post is for North American customers - advice for europe won’t come from me.

Fact: building code for a 40 amp EV charger requires a 20% "buffer" on the breaker/wire gauge for "continuous loads" - all EV chargers are considered continuous load because they can run at full rated capacity for more than 2 hours (there is virtually no other home appliance that does that not even AC) - therefore to achieve the maximum charging rate with a Taycan requires a 240 volt 50 amp breaker/circuit (50 with a 20% "buffer" is 40 amps)..

Fact: the Taycan (like all EV's) will charge at _ANY_ amp rate from 6 to 40 amps - if it's less than 40 amps it will just charge slower and take longer to fill the battery , but it can charge at _ANY_ rate - the EVSE (charger) advertises the maximum charge rate to the car when you plug it in - and the car adjust it's demand to not exceed the advertised rate. Most EVSE's come preconfigured for a certain number of amps and you can't change it. It's assume you install this device with the correct matching breaker/wire. Therefore if you buy a 16 amp charger for Chevy Volt and install it correctly. If you plug that charger into a Taycan, the Taycan will charge at 16 amps. The charger has no magic and it can't "sample" your electric system/circuit and determine how big the wire or your breaker is - it's a hard-coded type of thing. So best to install a charger that matches the breaker and wire, and then your EV/car will do the right thing.

I've charged my Tesla at 6 amps (yes 240 volts at 6 amps) - an EE friend of mine built a EVSE/J-1772 charger back in 2009 to charge his converted VW beetle - and he built a 6 amp charger with off the shelf pieces - and my Tesla which can charge at 72 amps maximum, happily charged at 6 amps when it was plugged in while visiting him - it didn't get very far, but it did charge it and it just sat there charging at 1,440 watts. So I'm fairly confident your Taycan can charge at any rate up to it's maximum - it's all based on what the EVSE advertises as it's maximum amperage.

Fact: Any J-1772 charger will charge the Taycan, and there are many choices for J-1772 chargers from 6-80 amps - your friends Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, Bolt charger that came with the car and plugs into a normal household plug will charge a Taycan - very slowly - but it will charge it!

Fact: Since the charger comes with the Porsche for now as a mandatory option there is no reason to buy an EV charger since the car comes with an excellent (although overpriced by 3x) EVSE to charge the car.

your current 40 amp circuit would only be rated for 32 amps when being used to charge an EV - there are plenty of 32/40 amp EV chargers you could purchase (J-1772) and they all would charge the Taycan just fine at 32 amps (7.2 kW) - but the charger that Porsche includes only has options for a 50 amp supply cable (40 amp charge rate), or a 30 amp supply cable (24 amp charge rate). There is no supply cable from Porsche for a 40 amp circuit to achieve a 32 amp charge rate. (in fact I don't know of any NEMA plug for 40 amps, there are NEMA 30 amp plugs, and NEMA 50 amp plugs, but there is no socket/plug standard for 40 amps).

your plug choices from Porsche for charging the Taycan are:
  • NEMA 14-50 plug - 50 amp breaker leading to a 40 amp charge rate - 9.6 kW
  • NEMA 6-50 plug - 50 amp breaker leading to a 40 amp charge rate - 9.6 kW
  • NEMA 6-30 plug- 30 amp breaker leading to a 24 amp charge rate - 5.76 kW
  • NEMA 14-30 plug - 30 amp breaker leading to a 24 amp charge rate - 5.76 kW

the Taycan's battery is 93 kWh - to figure charge time when empty take the battery size (93 kWh) and divide by the charge rate (9.6 or 5.77 from above) - the resulting number will be the minimum time in hours to fully charge the Taycan from empty - round the number up since charging isn't 100% efficient and there is some slop - the time you arrive at will be the worse case charging time for your Taycan - since most daily driving is less than 60 miles (98% according to statistics) you will rarely need to charge the Taycan from empty.

the Porsche Mobile charger that comes with the car will adjust it's charging rate based on what type of "supply cable" you currently have attached to the EV charger - but it's maximum charge rate is 40 amps and it comes by default with a NEMA 14-50 plug supply cable. NEMA 14-50 plugs are what you find in RV parks which provide 240 volt 50 amp service to RV's for their power needs - this is the most common 50 amp L2 plug you are likely to encounter in North America.

the North American charging standard is called J-1772- and the Taycan should work with _ANY_ J-1772 based charger - and you can purchase J-1772 chargers in various power sizes from 6-80 amps. Anything more than 40 amps is wasted on the Taycan since it's maximum charge rate is 40 amps - but there are other EV's that can charge at more than 40 amps - just not the Taycan. The Model 3 for example in certain configurations will charge at 48 amps (60 amp breaker). My 2017 P100D Model X can charge at 72 amps (90 amp breaker) and my 2014 Model S P85D had a maximum charge rate of 80 amps (100 amp breaker). Most non-Tesla EV's charge at either 32 amps (maximum) or 40 amps (maximum) - hybrids tend to charge at either 3.6 kW (16 amps) or like 24 amps (5.76 kW) (smaller batteries don't need has many kWh's so no need to have a bigger "pump".)

to confuse potential EV charging customers the EV charging industry has not settled on a standard nomenclature for EV chargers - not all 40 amp chargers are the same - it comes down to 40 amp being ambiguous - the ambiguity is one of two ways

1. the 40 amp rating may refer to the breaker that charger requires - which means it will only charge at 32 amps
2. the 40 amp rating may refer to the EV charge rate that charger provides - which means you need a breaker that is 20% larger than the charger rating (40 amp charger requires a 50 amp breaker to meet building code requirements).

when purchasing an EV charger make sure you understand the difference and buy appropriately.

_ANY_ J-1772 charger will charge the Taycan - just make sure the charger you install is provisioned with the correct breaker and wire for it's rated charging capacity.

Most Taycan owners will not be in the market for an EV charger as the car comes with a high quality mobile 240 volt/ 40 amp charger included with a NEMA 14-50 adapter cable as standard. It is also interesting to note that at the moment you can not order a Taycan without the Porsche charger and the Porsche charger is about 3x the cost of normal J-1772 chargers for identical feature set/charge rate. There are many many excellent $400 40 AMP J-1772 chargers to choose from most of which are high quality and will work just fine with the Taycan, the Taycan's charger is also high quality but about $1200 and currently not optional as part of the purchase.

Therefore the most straight forward install for your EV charging pleasure as a future Taycan owner is a NEMA 14-50 plug in your garage with a 50 amp breaker on that circuit. That will allow you to charge your Taycan at it's maximum L2 rate of 9.6 kW. Have you local electrician get you quote and get it installed ASAP.

the real issue is to make sure the wire/breaker are rated for the amperage - if you don't have the correct type of wire it's a real fire danger and it could overheat - EV chargers are special in the world of home appliances in that they are the only devices in your home that will draw at their maximum rated capacity for hours on end (10-12 hours to fully charge an EV from empty). Most home wiring and breakers are not up to that sort of task so I really recommend wire that is rated for the amperage your intend to charge at or more - there is no harm for example installing 100 amp wire, and then using an 50 amp breaker to charge at 40 amps - the wire is "over spec" for that application and it will run cooler and have less voltage loss and heat problems.

Don't cheap out on the EV charging circuit, and with some proper planning you'll only do it once and it will work for ALL your current and future EV's.

100 amps would be advisable if you forsee multiple EV's in your future, and it will make it easier to have more than 1 EV charging at once - but is wholly un-necessary for the Taycan.

you might find the following Thread helpful. I hope this helps.

https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan-a...-how-long.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan-a...-ev-owner.html

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 10-16-2019 at 01:18 PM. Reason: typos, clarify north american vs europe
The following 21 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
03clyde (10-16-2019), AlexCeres (10-26-2019), Alvekovius (01-03-2022), cpd1 (12-27-2019), destroid (10-16-2019), Gus_Smedstad (10-19-2019), JB43 (10-19-2019), Kirill (12-27-2019), MM3.9GT3 (10-17-2019), Needsdecaf (10-15-2019), Pavegeno928 (07-16-2020), r00t61 (11-07-2019), S S (10-15-2019), SamFromTX (05-25-2020), SFsoundguy (12-25-2019), Toby Pennycuff (10-16-2019), tomhartzell (10-15-2019), W8MM (10-16-2019), wdr911 (10-29-2019), whojoemama (12-26-2019), zgdanska (10-28-2019) and 16 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-15-2019, 10:03 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

When we installed our Level 2 charger at home about 5 years ago, most local electricians had no idea. We ended up going with Bosch EV Solutions who managed the process and provided warranty on the install etc. even though we had them install our own charger purchased elsewhere.

It might have changed now, but you can get a list of installers on their website that might be good for a quote - https://www.boschevsolutions.com/
The following 2 users liked this post by NateOZ:
daveo4porsche (12-31-2019), whojoemama (12-26-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 11:53 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I did some quick research - it does not appear the NEMA which is the North American standard for all electrical plugs even has a 40 amp plug!

https://www.stayonline.com/product-r...ence-chart.asp

so the reason Porsche does not offer a 40 amp supply cable - is there is no female socket for a 40 amp circuit! And I also learn the recommended wire gauge for a 40 amp circuit is the same as a 50 amp circuit - so no one bothers to install 40 amp plugs (which don't exist) just install a NEMA 14-50/6-50 plug which is a 50 amp plug....

you can run lower amp devices on a higher amp circuit (ie. you can run your LED lights which are like 0.1 amps on your 15 amp household circuit) but I would advise against running your 40 amp EVSE charger on 30 amp circuit - the breaker should protect you before the wire catches fire, but you can never be too careful - the plug is supposed to indicate both capacity and breaker and you’re supposed to be able to count on the wire in that circuit being up to the task. This is why it's bad to just "swap" a breaker - moving from a smaller breaker to a larger breaking - it will work electrically - but if the wire was only rated for the smaller breaker you're violating code and causing some real risk if you ever attempt to draw current at the rate of the newer bigger breaker…
  • install the correct size breaker for the appliance
  • install the correct gauge wire (or more) for the breaker rating
  • install the correct NEMA plug so that people know what the circuit is capable of based on the plug type.
NEMA nomenclature for plugs are two numbers separated by a hyphen

#A - #B

the "A" number refers to the blade pattern on the male plug
the "B" number is the breaker-rating that that plug is supposed to indicate

a house hold plug is NEMA 5-15 - 5 is the normal household appliance plug (2 blades and a ground) and the 15 is the breaker rating for that type of plug.
NEMA 14-50 - 14 is a 4 blade heavy duty blade pattern for 240 volts (2 hots, 1 neutral, ground) and the 50 refers to the breaker rating
NEMA 6-50 - 6 is a 3 blade heavy duty blade pattern for 240 volts (2 hots, ground) and the 50 refers to the breaker rating.

it goes on and on…

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 10-16-2019 at 10:40 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Alvekovius (01-03-2022), fjpdds (12-16-2020), W8MM (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 12:09 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

most US homes have at least one 240 volt circuit and people are already using high amp circuit for many household appliances

electric ovens range from 30-60 amps - hard wired
electric water heaters range from 30-50 amps - hard wired
electric clothes dryers - typically 30 amps - hard wired
electric cook tops - typically 30-40 amps - hard wired
electric heaters - 20-50 amps
hot tubs - tend to have a 20 amp 240 volt circuit for the pumps & 30 amp 240 volt circuit for the heater element
radiant floors tend to be 20 amps for normal size rooms

EV chargers are 20-80 amps - and most are 30-40 amps - so they are inline electrically with water heaters and ovens in terms of house hold load.

EVSE's come with both plug and hard wired versions - the plug versions are "portable" for some definition of portable - and the hardwired ones are mounted on a wall mostly for ease of use - converting a plug to a hard wire or hard wire to a plug is easy and just a matter of a few dollars and the correct stuff from your local hardware store (turn the breaker off first please).

I have hardwired EV chargers for my Tesla's (100 amp circuit since I'm charging multiple EV's at night)
and I keep the $300 portable (40 amp) chargers in the front trunk of the car so I can charge while traveling and not worry about leaving the charger behind at home

public L2 chargers you're likely to encounter from EVGo, Electrify America, Chargepoint, Blink & others are J-1772 chargers and tend to be 16 to 30 amps @ 208 volts - so the Chargepoint charger at your local Albertsons is likely to charge your Taycan at 6 kW (208 volts * 30 amps = 6,240 watts or 6.24 kW)

compare that to 25,000, 50,000, 120,000, 150,000, 270,000 watts at the fast DC chargers and you see why fast charging is such a big deal - public L2 chargers don't really cut it - but that doesn't mean I don't take advantage of the cheap/free L2 charging @ the Valley Fair mall in San Jose when I'm there with family ;-). We come back after an hour or two of shopping and have added 8-20% charge to the car while we were inside shopping.
The following users liked this post:
Alvekovius (01-03-2022)
Old 10-16-2019, 12:23 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

also in case it's not clear the Taycan charger included with the Taycan from Porsche will also charge any _OTHER_ J-1772 based EV, Leafs, Chevy's, Teslas, eGolf's - the Taycan charger is a just an "included" J-1772 240 volt charger and it should charge any other J-1772 EV just as well as it charges the Taycan.

So if you happen to purchase a 2nd EV - and it doesn't come with it's own charger, no problem - your $1200 Taycan charger will charge that EV just fine!

see you’re saving money already ;-)

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 10-16-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:57 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Existing Tesla owners can opt to purchase this nifty Adatper https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JD...r-JDPTRSTB.htm - it converts their Existing Tesla charger to the J-1772 standard so that their Tesla Mobile Charger or their Tesla Wall Charger can be used to charge _ANY_ J-1772 EV - including the Taycan.

I also recommend an EV road warrior have one of these adapters in their EV, because it will enable them to use any Tesla L2 (not supercharger) charger they may encounter in the wild - and there are more of them than you think - which will allow your Taycan to charge at both public J-1772 chargers and/or Tesla L2 chargers at businesses and hotels, wineries.

I've used my adapter to charge my Bolt/Leaf with a Tesla charger, and the Bolt in San Luis Obispo at a hotel that only had Tesla L2 chargers and no J-1772 chargers.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 10-16-2019 at 10:43 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (10-26-2019), W8MM (10-16-2019), whojoemama (12-26-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 01:47 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

The Taycan should be able to charge at 11kW with a proper charger. That’s almost 15 hp for those in the US. It must be at 45 amps.
  • With the portable, three-kilogram Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (available from mid-2020), it can be charged at home or on the road with a maximum of 11 kW.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:51 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

The following users liked this post:
JB43 (10-19-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 01:55 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Loess
The Taycan should be able to charge at 11kW with a proper charger. That’s almost 15 hp for those in the US. It must be at 45 amps.
  • With the portable, three-kilogram Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (available from mid-2020), it can be charged at home or on the road with a maximum of 11 kW.
this is incorrect for north america - an 11 kw charger would require a hardwired charger (certainly possible - i have one) but there is no 60 amp plug in wide spread use in north america - 48 amps is what is required for 11 kw charging - that is a hardwired EVSE

the only supply cables for the us porsche charger are for 50 & 30 amp north american plugs - that is insufficient for 11 kw

porsches specs have been pretty clear it’s a 9.6 kw charger in the car.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:57 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

A standard onboard 9.6-kW AC charger will allow for Level 1 (110-volt) and Level 2 (220-volt) charging with either a wall-mounted charger or the included portable charger.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...ange-interior/

every review I’ve seen lists this spec

so either porsche mis-communicated or every single review and porsche’s Website is wrong.

there is also no mobile EVSE that supports 48 amp charging - as there is no 240 volt NEMA plug for a mobile charger to plug into - mobile EVSE’s in North America are limited to 40 amps (50 amp breaker) via a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 plug type or other NEMA 50 amp plug types.

Tesla and Clipper Creek make L2 chargers above 40 amps- but they are all hardwired (not plug based)

so _IF_ the taycan supported 48 amp charging (it doesn’t) it would be with a hardwired EVSE not a mobile one

there is is no evidence the North American Taycan supports 11 kw L2 charging.

it might be difference in europe because their power is 3 phase - but in North America I’m fairly confident the Taycan is limited to 9.6 kW or 240 volts @ 40 amps - cause everything I can find documents that as the maximum charge rate.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 10-16-2019 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:19 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Porsche’s Great Britain website lists the L2/AC charging rate as 11 kW - it’s a 3 phase European power thing - 11 kW in Europe, 9.6 kW in North America.

Old 10-16-2019, 02:30 AM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

Dave - two nits for your excellent post:

1.) The J-1772 standard specifies a minimum of 6 amps. Yes, some EVs chargers will go lower. But 6 amps should be a universal minimum.

2.) There is no commonly used NEMA 40 amp receptacle. However the National Electrical Code (NEC) has a provision that allows a 50 amp receptacle (6-50 or 14-50) to be used on a 40 amp circuit. Obviously one should only draw 32 amps continuous from such a circuit. I think this is one reason the Gen 2 Tesla UMC only supports 32 amps, whereas the Gen 1 UMC supported 40 amps. No doubt they saved a little money as well.

A third thing related to #1: J-1772 only specifies up to 16 amps (on a 20 amp circuit) on 120V circuits. Nonetheless, a number of EVs annoyingly limit 120V charging to 12 amps (on a 15 amp circuit) - regardless of what the EVSE tells it is safe. OTOH, some allow higher than 16 amps. This is useful at RV parks where TT-30 (120V, 30A) receptacles are common. So some EVs can charge at a full 24 amps on a TT-30. (Model 3 LR reportedly can charge at a full 40, and perhaps even 48 amps, at 120V.) It will be interesting to see what the Taycans 120V charging limits are. So far, I've not seen it reported anywhere.

It is interesting and nice that Porsche offers a 6-30 adapter. I actually have a 6-30 in my garage. The circuit it is on was used by the previous owner of my house who had a kiln. Tesla doesn't offer a 6-30 adapter, but IMO should. Aftermarket to the rescue as evseadapters offers it, along with many others - including TT-30. I bought the TT-30 adapter from evseadapters, then made myself a 6-30P to TT-30R extension/cheater cable. Made it long, as it has to route around two other cars - one being my old 944.
The following 2 users liked this post by whiz944:
daveo4porsche (10-16-2019), whojoemama (12-26-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 02:37 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Thanks @whiz944 updated the post to note minimum 6 amps- learned something new everyday.

im also curious to see how the Taycan deals with 120 volt charging - it frustrates me that Chevy limited the Bolt to 12 amps for 120 volt charging - not being able to charge 30% fast on a NEMA 5-20 circuit.

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 10-16-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:49 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

So 3 phase at 16A x 3= 48A at 230V? Not sure why this can’t be used in NA. I could use it at my office. Maybe not not worth the hassle I guess.

Quick Reply: Charging for Taycan