Racer

Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts
Default At least 289 miles in range

Old 09-05-2019, 03:14 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Odd. That's definitely at odds with the figures Porsche themselves posted. And with a real world range of 290 miles, that's a huge deal.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:16 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Odd. That's definitely at odds with the figures Porsche themselves posted. And with a real world range of 290 miles, that's a huge deal.
Not really. Porsche posted government figures. When they're driving it themselves to make a post on Instagram they can do whatever hyper-miling trick they want to show a best-case scenario.
The following users liked this post:
beaudawg (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 03:19 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by destaccado
Not really. Porsche posted government figures. When they're driving it themselves to make a post on Instagram they can do whatever hyper-miling trick they want to show a best-case scenario.
It's a lot harder to hypermile an EV than it is an ICE car. ICE cars are so inefficient that hypermiling can gain significant range. EV's are already way more efficient (remember that pack contains the same energy as like 3 gallons of gas) that hypermiling doesn't help nearly as much. And not that much.

Moreover for most all other EV's out there WLTP > EPA > Real life. For instance, for a Tesla to hit EPA range, you basically have to drive it ideal conditions and 55-60 MPH. So for it so show BETTER range is very surprising.

Yes, we don't know the conditions. I did ask the gentleman a question of how they are reconciling it with the WLTP figure announced.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:22 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

It's a lot harder to hypermile an EV than it is an ICE car. ICE cars are so inefficient that hypermiling can gain significant range. EV's are already way more efficient (remember that pack contains the same energy as like 3 gallons of gas) that hypermiling doesn't help nearly as much. And not that much.

Moreover for most all other EV's out there WLTP > EPA > Real life. For instance, for a Tesla to hit EPA range, you basically have to drive it ideal conditions and 55-60 MPH. So for it so show BETTER range is very surprising.

Yes, we don't know the conditions. I did ask the gentleman a question of how they are reconciling it with the WLTP figure announced.
Fair enough. ...but while it might be hard to hypermile these cars (and thanks for that piece of information which I genuinely hadn't considered) - it isn't hard to post a made up figure to Instagram.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:27 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

It predicted a range of 39 miles with 14% of battery capacity remaining. That’s a range of 278.6 miles, which is close to 250 + 39 = 289 miles. I might change my mind, and order a Turbo with badge delete.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:28 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Fair enough. ...but while it might be hard to hypermile these cars (and thanks for that piece of information which I genuinely hadn't considered) - it isn't hard to post a made up figure to Instagram.
+1...compare apples to apples wait for OFFICIAL EPA figures.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:29 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No, it's not. But this account is manned by the Taycan Product manager. So I wouldn't figure that he would lie about the numbers.

But the thing is, that now the numbers are confusing. Porsche has stated a 280 mile WLTP range. They've also stated a 432 Wh/mile average consumption. In order to do 290 miles with that consumption, you'd have to have a 125kWh USABLE pack (290*432 = 125,280 Wh) meaning the pack would have a larger actual capacity.

Porsche has stated the pack is 93 kWh, meaning that the usable range is maybe 88. If an 88 kWh pack can go 290 miles, that's 88/290 = .303 kWh/mile or 303 Wh / mile. That's an outstanding consumption, on par with my Model 3 LRAWD at an average 75 MPH.

This really would change everything and alleviate much of the criticism that I and others have had.

Something's funny with the numbers. I hope it's in the favor of this post!
Old 09-05-2019, 03:31 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brig993
+1...compare apples to apples wait for OFFICIAL EPA figures.
Yes, we need to. But historically for every other EV, the official EPA figure has been between 10 and 15% less than the WLTP figure. Kind of like a rule of thumb converting the Euro Combined MPG to US EPA MPG. It's not super accurate, but generally pretty close.

So for the Taycan to have a real world range above the WLTP figure would be very unusual and out of the ordinary for other EV's.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:35 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

No, it's not. But this account is manned by the Taycan Product manager. So I wouldn't figure that he would lie about the numbers.

But the thing is, that now the numbers are confusing. Porsche has stated a 280 mile WLTP range. They've also stated a 432 Wh/mile average consumption. In order to do 290 miles with that consumption, you'd have to have a 125kWh USABLE pack (290*432 = 125,280 Wh) meaning the pack would have a larger actual capacity.

Porsche has stated the pack is 93 kWh, meaning that the usable range is maybe 88. If an 88 kWh pack can go 290 miles, that's 88/290 = .303 kWh/mile or 303 Wh / mile. That's an outstanding consumption, on par with my Model 3 LRAWD at an average 75 MPH.

This really would change everything and alleviate much of the criticism that I and others have had.

Something's funny with the numbers. I hope it's in the favor of this post!
You have more faith in humanity than I do because the guy whose livelihood is most dependent on the success of this car is the guy I'd most expect to post a lie to Instagram and/or at minimum; to drive the car via whatever method possible to achieve the best possible result. I'm sure once the official numbers are released it will all line up with reality.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:46 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You have more faith in humanity than I do because the guy whose livelihood is most dependent on the success of this car is the guy I'd most expect to post a lie to Instagram and/or at minimum; to drive the car via whatever method possible to achieve the best possible result. I'm sure once the official numbers are released it will all line up with reality.
It's now posted on Porsche's newsroom. So if they're lying, lot more people's heads are on the line.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2019...ity-18578.html
Old 09-05-2019, 08:09 PM
beaudawg
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The skeptic in me says the route was planned and tested in advance to guarantee positive range attributes. Porsche knew they were going to be excoriated based on the official (WLTP) values, and are trying to get out ahead of it with some idealized use case to alleviate concern. Average speed was likely kept low to reduce parasitic losses, no A/C was used, etc. End of the day, the average EV doesn't do BETTER than EPA numbers, which haven't been revealed yet, but will undoubtedly be lower than WLTP.

If they want to prove their point, do the reverse trip and give us the numbers (including average speed).

Last edited by beaudawg; 09-06-2019 at 12:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by beaudawg:
daveo4porsche (09-05-2019), jivor (09-06-2019), r553 (09-23-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 10:10 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Better yet I’d like to see it driven on the reverse trip like , ya know, a Porsche. Accelerating hard from any stop, up on ramps , anytime the road opens up with the Music and A/C cranked up.

I bet that trip was done with the excitement of a hypermiling Prius complete with a non functioning radio and the cabin climate akin to a metal, windowless inland Florida storage shed in the summer.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:16 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Funny thing is, I bought a Audi e-Tron last month, and the car was rated to go 329km per full charge. I have done 360km on one charge twice, with 5% and 7% left. Even the onboard computer tells me I have 389km when it was full. And the car is in Dynamics mode and I turned off throttle lift off regen. I pretty much drive it like a normal car.

All city driving and zero highway miles, just as EV are intended for.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:26 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Funny thing is, I bought a Audi e-Tron last month, and the car was rated to go 329km per full charge. I have done 360km on one charge twice, with 5% and 7% left. Even the onboard computer tells me I have 389km when it was full. And the car is in Dynamics mode and I turned off throttle lift off regen. I pretty much drive it like a normal car.

All city driving and zero highway miles, just as EV are intended for.
Yeah, high speed is the enemy of EV efficiency. I run TeslaFi which captures my data for every drive. The Tesla gets its EPA rating at 240 WH/mile. On a 75 MPH average highway run, I average 300-305. Around town, I can dip into the 220-230 mark. So if I used the car around town only, I could be a the EPA range as well. Ev’s Hate air resistance.

Quick Reply: At least 289 miles in range