Notices
Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When's Your Porsche Taycan / Mission E Release Date and Price ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Do you guys have anything in writing that states that you will be purchasing at MSRP? I would hate to pursue this and then discover they want something over MSRP after having waited for so long.
It's not a GT car. There will not be ADMs on the Taycan. Think of the PR disaster that would be for the brand as they try to roll out their first electric vehicle. It's absolutely critical for Porsche that the Taycan is a success. I don't think that could be overstated. Porsche will be churning them out like Macans and there will be no problems getting one.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:59 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

+1 @Archimedes - remember they are building a whole factory for this thing…it's been discussed on this very forum - and unlike Tesla Porsche knows how to make things at scale with German precision and reliability - Elon had his shot to ship 500,000 Model 3's - but he's bungled it - and now the competition is coming and they actually know how to do the car business build thing…I'm very optimistic about the Taycan.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:52 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys think we will have comparable performance for reasonably close pricing to Tesla? I feel like Porsche gets away with charging a lot more for similar performance to the competition.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Centx
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It will be interesting what the 0-60 and range ends up being just because each has become such a central comparison for EVs. With the model 3 performance at 3.5 or less and at a price lower than the Taycan will start, possibly by a large amount, along with range over 300 miles, Porshche will not impress on paper if it fails to at least match those. Styling and build should clearly favor Porsche, but there is some value in the Tesla tech, varying amount depending on the buyer. If the 3 comes out with Ludicrous as expected it will surely drop it well below 3.0. The S is the better price come and we know the Taycan will not match it acceleration but I expect the driving experience to be closer to the smaller 3.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:56 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

0-60 will need to be competitive

I expect price to be similar to Panamera for similar/trim/performance

Porsche should win on overall quality

I still think the supercharger network is undervalued - I know 3 people who bought 3's after considering alternatives because they know they can supercharge…

Tesla continus to push the supercharger network more and more locations/stalls…this is one area in which Elon keeps his mouth shut but mostly delivers…they just keep growing it!
Old 09-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Centx
Track Day

I agree on the supercharger network. If I like the S refresh when/if it occurs, I’ll strongly consider it. It’s a big, heavy car but it’s impressive and gives you a lot of room inside. I just can’t get past the styling and minimalism of the 3 and I had a reservation from the beginning. I did test drive the P3 and it was very impressive. I’m hoping the Taycan checks all
the boxes for me, 3.5 or better, 300+ range (especially important to me without charging network), styling, expected drive experience and interior.

If the Taycan is $30k plus more than the P3 as expected and with the lesser specs, it will be a hard sell regardless of styling and expectation of build/drive quality. I do not expect the Taycan to beat the specs of the 3, but at least matching is important. It could easily be over a second slower than the S and P3 when it launches. I also worry it’s range will end up below 300 miles based on US measurement.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Porsche doesn't need to beat the Model 3/S performance in order to sell the Taycan, just like they don't need to beat the Corvette Grand Sport's performance to sell a 911 Carrera S for twice as much money. What Porsche needs to do is build a reasonably quick EV with decent range and all things Porsche in terms of styling and interior, and price it competitive enough so that it will sell in volume. It doesn't have to trump the Tesla to be successful, it just needs to not be a dud.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:59 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Porsche doesn't need to beat the Model 3/S performance in order to sell the Taycan, just like they don't need to beat the Corvette Grand Sport's performance to sell a 911 Carrera S for twice as much money. What Porsche needs to do is build a reasonably quick EV with decent range and all things Porsche in terms of styling and interior, and price it competitive enough so that it will sell in volume. It doesn't have to trump the Tesla to be successful, it just needs to not be a dud.
I think you’re correct about not needing to match or beat performance figures in order to be a success in sales. For me, I don’t want it if it doesn’t meet or beat. Unlike comparisons such as Corvettes, or Panameras to M cars, there’s not a long list of competitors. And the first question everyone will ask is if the Porsche is faster.

The variety of of other reasons for why I bought a Carrera don’t apply the same here for me. I hope Porsche can make the Taycan faster than the competition.

Last edited by yemenmocha; 09-04-2018 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Sleepy
Old 09-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Well it's not likely to be faster than the fastest Model S available, but my guess is that it's going to be way more appealing, both inside and out. Considering that the last version Panamera's interior was light years better than a Model S, I have high hopes for the Taycan being a much better overall package than the Tesla, regardless of the paper stats.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:04 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

The Taycan will be faster than the Model S and 3 on the track. It will probably be similar to or slightly faster than the Model 3 Performance in a straight line, and slower than a P100D Model S. But at the end of the day I'm confident it will have the look, feel, and quality that Tesla can't match. I really doubt Porsche will screw this up. They have so much riding on getting this car right.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:11 AM
Centx
Track Day

Keep in mind that Ludicrous mode is coming to the 3 according to Musk. If that is the case, and the Taycan is still faster, it will need to be sub 3 seconds at least. That would be very impressive.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:37 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Centx
Keep in mind that Ludicrous mode is coming to the 3 according to Musk. If that is the case, and the Taycan is still faster, it will need to be sub 3 seconds at least. That would be very impressive.
Oh I can’t wait for the day when there are 50,000 ludicrous mode Model 3’s on the road piloted by millennials who aren’t really that into cars or learning how to drive them well...
Old 09-06-2018, 05:50 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
0-60 will need to be competitive

I still think the supercharger network is undervalued - I know 3 people who bought 3's after considering alternatives because they know they can supercharge…

Tesla continues to push the supercharger network more and more locations/stalls…this is one area in which Elon keeps his mouth shut but mostly delivers…they just keep growing it!
We went to Rehoboth Beach a few weeks ago and saw a brand new super charging station there. That's great news for the DC Metro area beach goers. There are a lot of Teslas on the road here and people seem quite satisfied. A smart move by Porsche may be to sign and agreement with Tesla...

Bottom line for me - I need to see 600 miles range before I start to consider electric.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:00 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Bottom line for me - I need to see 600 miles range before I start to consider electric.
you can of course wait until then - but honestly - how often does you really need that much range on a daily basis? I've gone thousands of miles for accumulated over many days and never ever run my Model S or X below 40% battery with their paltry 260'ish mile range…and then charge them back to full over night for costs that are laughably small…

I really need to understand the obsession with 600 mile range as a "requirement" - no question it would be nice - but is it really really necessary given the infrequency that you actually dip in to that particular corner of ICE capabilities…

but the good news again is you don't have to buy an EV - and and we all have our requirements - I'm just trying to understand is that really something you do often enough to keep burning dead dinosaurs for all the times you don't need that.

I mean it's a bit like commuting in a full size city bus on a daily basis because you might take more than 4 co-workers to lunch sometimes…
Old 09-06-2018, 06:17 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
you can of course wait until then - but honestly - how often does you really need that much range on a daily basis? I've gone thousands of miles for accumulated over many days and never ever run my Model S or X below 40% battery with their paltry 260'ish mile range…and then charge them back to full over night for costs that are laughably small…

I really need to understand the obsession with 600 mile range as a "requirement" - no question it would be nice - but is it really really necessary given the infrequency that you actually dip in to that particular corner of ICE capabilities…

but the good news again is you don't have to buy an EV - and and we all have our requirements - I'm just trying to understand is that really something you do often enough to keep burning dead dinosaurs for all the times you don't need that.

I mean it's a bit like commuting in a full size city bus on a daily basis because you might take more than 4 co-workers to lunch sometimes…
Woah, calm dude dude. I am not obsessing over this. I dont commute by car - its for long trips, hence 600 miles. Egad.

Quick Reply: When's Your Porsche Taycan / Mission E Release Date and Price ?