Taycan 2019-Current The Electric Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mission E / Taycan - Deposits

Old 12-10-2017, 03:24 PM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

It could look like a baboon's a$$ as long as it goes 310 miles on a charge, has AWD and starts at $85k as promised....
Old 12-10-2017, 03:56 PM
sdq7
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by unclewill
It could look like a baboon's a$$ as long as it goes 310 miles on a charge, has AWD and starts at $85k as promised....
But then they would call it Tesla
Old 12-10-2017, 04:26 PM
unclewill
Racer

Teslas look like the generic 4 door cars I drew with crayons in kindergarten.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

That's a bit too far, even for a zinger. The Model S is a dead-boring sedan in appearance, but it doesn't look like a$$.

EDIT: Basically, I agree with Will. Though to be honest, I don't recall exactly what I drew in kindergarten...
Old 12-10-2017, 08:57 PM
unclewill
Racer

The Tesla's interior looks like a Crown Vic complete with a laptop bolted to the dash...I am also counting on Porsche to come through on some leather options.

I would like to be able to recharge using the Supercharger network - PORSCHE ENGINEERS ARE YOU READING THIS?
Old 12-10-2017, 10:48 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Someday I should really sit in a Model S to see what the interior is like. We've got a dealership within a few miles. The issue is that I have zero intention of actually buying one, so I'm reluctant to waste their time.

I have to say the videos I've seen of the Model 3 interior make it look like a truly awful car, with horrendous design decisions.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:21 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 1,757 Posts

Test drive it and then say you don’t want to buy it!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:34 AM
unclewill
Racer

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Test drive it and then say you don’t want to buy it!
I agree - once I test drove the Model S, all of my ICE cars became really quaint antiques.
The main problem with the Teslas is that Tesla had no car building experience when they started. When a company has to literally start from scratch, the finished product is not going to be on par with major manufacturers like VW Group who have long established supply chains and years of experience building and testing new products. After my test drive, I went to the MB dealer down the street to sit in the new S-Class for comparison - well, there is no comparison - obviously, the Model S cannot offer the interior of the Benzo despite being about the same MSRP.
So this is where the Mission E comes in. I expect to see the same steering wheels, seats, interior materials, brake options, wheel/tire options, electronics, etc. that we are all accustomed to in current Porsche products combined with a long-range electric powertrain, Porsche suspension tuning and high quality fit-and-finish.
Will it outperform a Model S? Hardly matters to me as a 10.5 second quarter mile and top speed over 120 mph are irrelevant in my city where street speeds are seldom higher than 30mph. Acceleration is simply an added bonus as the range goes up. The new Tesla Roadster runs an 8 second 1/4 mile but, more importantly, it has a 620 mile range!
My current (ha!) plan is to option my Mission E first for maximum range - the more the better - then luxe out the interior. I need to be able to drive 263 miles including one mountain pass in one shot, in comfort. Beyond that, anything else is gravy.

What are your plans for your Mission E? What options will you choose? What are your most important selection criteria?
Old 12-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by unclewill
Acceleration is simply an added bonus as the range goes up. The new Tesla Roadster runs an 8 second 1/4 mile but, more importantly, it has a 620 mile range!
My current (ha!) plan is to option my Mission E first for maximum range - the more the better - then luxe out the interior. I need to be able to drive 263 miles including one mountain pass in one shot, in comfort. Beyond that, anything else is gravy.
I'm having a lot of trouble reconciling these statements with your assertion that range doesn't matter in your "Range Anxiety is a Fallacy" thread.

Acceleration does matter for enjoyment... up to a point. Not for any stated goal like 1/4 mile times, just because it's more fun when the car presses you back into the seat. How much acceleration is "enough" and how much is "more than I really want" is a personal thing. I strongly suspect the Roadster 2.0 is well above the latter for me, but I wouldn't presume for anyone else.

Acceleration somewhere in 991 S ballpark is what I'd like from a Mission E for enjoyment. I suspect that will be the easiest criteria for Porsche to match, given the characteristics of electric motors.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:06 PM
unclewill
Racer

I'm having a lot of trouble reconciling these statements with your assertion that range doesn't matter in your "Range Anxiety is a Fallacy" thread.
My Toyota truck has a 400 mile range and I rather like it!
I have a sneaking suspicion that the only major options on the Mission E will be battery size at which point bigger is better both from a range and performance standpoint.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:40 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

battery size and motors will be the major options - Porsche has already said there will be multiple electric motor options ;-)

I'm looking forward to the S or GTS version and a 3.2 second 0-60 - I agree that the Porsche interior is very very nice, but the new seats and recent interiors make the Model S more than acceptable, and I've now been driving EV's for 4 years - and will drive my S for another 2 before Porsche even demo's the Mission-E

come on in - the water's fine! And you can drive Autopilot, and have glorious EV acceleration and an already built-out fast charging network - and then switch in 2-3 years when Porsche figures this out.

The Tesla isn't nearly as bad as all you guys make it out to be for fit/finish - and it makes up for it in what a stunning daily driver it is.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:05 PM
unclewill
Racer

Tesla had a Model S on display at the mall the other day and my wife and I sat in it. She wanted to see what the interior looks like after hearing my thoughts on the matter. She agreed with you that it isn't bad so I asked the sales rep the MSRP - $165k he gleefully replied! Both my wife and I nearly choked with laughter! I love and support Elon Musk's vision for the future, and the Model S is a helluva car, but when Porsche is a year away from offering equal performance in a much more refined package for at least $60,000 less...well, I can be patient. I could be convinced to lease a 911 in the interim, however my wife has been putting the kibosh on that idea for 10+ years now! doh!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:28 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

165 is the P100D - just get the 100D - and save 40,000 - and only lose .5 sec 0-60 - still faster than most 911's...and it's a great car.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:29 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

but to be honest a 4 door sedan that can do 0-60 faster than most 350k-500k super cars, carry 5 adults, car pool lane sticker, and do a Costco run the price really isn't that bad - you're talking supercar performance in a daily driver sedan.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:34 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

in other words - please show me the car that can do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds for $165k or less?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...823-story.html

https://www.zeroto60times.com/fastes...-60-mph-times/

from a quick review of the list at the link I've listed nothing less than $500,000 in that league!

Tesla Model S 100D (not "P" for performance) is 4.1 seconds 0-60 and only 94k - about the same a nicely equipped Panamera - and the Tesla has way better driving aids…

yeah the price is very very high - but it's a sedan that will embarrass the entire Porsche line (including the 918 Spyder)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mission E / Taycan - Deposits