Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Is a first gen Spyder a car worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017 | 10:22 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Default Is a first gen Spyder a car worth buying?

Guys: Looking for a little advice. Considering a 2011 or 2012 Spyder.

Don't know much about the Spyder. Is this a car worth considering?

What should I be paying for a nice example with between 5 thousand and 20 thousand miles?

Is the new one worth the difference in price?

What if anything should I be looking out for?

Already have a track dedicated car. Looking for a nice weekend car for wife and myself just to have fun and and go for nice Sunday drives. Also looking for a car that will do well in the value department as far as resale.

How many Spyders dod PAG make each year?

Thanks for the input in advance.
Old 03-04-2017 | 10:49 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I can't locate the exact figures but I thought I read in a saved "excellence" that there were 500 original US Spyders shipped, somewhere in that neighborhood if memory serves me correctly. I have seen higher numbers posted here, either way not a huge number. As far as investment, if you find a remarkable clean low mileage example the first owner has already taken the hardest depreciation hit. Will it end up being a future bank account? Hard to say but remember you are buying it to enjoy and if well kept it shouldn't tank on it's value. Personally, I like the softer rear deck curves on the first generation car as well as some of the other small differences when contrasted against the newer generations. Of course the newest versions are the faster vehicles, however unlike my 986 I have never thought the Spyder lacked acceleration. In the end it's a personal choice which needs to be balanced against your own desires and what Spyder choices come your way, good luck and post photos if you buy one...
Old 03-04-2017 | 11:49 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Worth buying? Short answer is, resounding Yes!

Styling is subjective. I like the 981 better. However, there is one element of 987 Spyder that I really want, but, can't have: it's hydraulic steering! 981's setup is fast and accurate; but, numb and too light (as compared to 987's)! Porsche may never be able to replicate the pinnacle of it's steering delicacy, sadly. Also need to point out that many 981 drivers feel that the steering is fine. So, possibly I am being overly dramatic! Or, not!

Aside from the steering, 981 has moved the goalposts in every aspects: tangible and intangible. One could debate endlessly on those. It comes down to what your heart says. As much as one could analyze, how you "feel" is the most important thing, when it comes to sports cars (and motorcycles).

You will need to drive them both. Have to feel them. The music 981 makes in Sport mode with PSE on, with that incredible shifter, will make you a believer! Leaving aside the price difference, my vote would go to 981. But, it's your money! Either of them would make you and your wife happy!

Past and present 987 owners will fill you in on potential problems and what to watch for; and, other details such as pricing, quantity produced, etc.
Old 03-04-2017 | 12:41 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Both versions of the Spyder offer qualities that make them truly unique and IMHO desireable. It's in your best interest to evaluate both and drive both before deciding which to purchase. Both cars were built in nearly similar numbers, the 987 production was 880 cars and the 981 was 850 cars.

The 987 values have pretty much stabilized in the $50's and $60's. The lower mileage manual cars with the carbon bucket seats typically cost about $8 - $10K more than the manuals without the carbon seats. PDK averages a few thousand less than the manual across the board. The carbon seats are rare since many dealers mistakenly ordered the cars without them and they tend to sell quickly if they're in excellent condition. While not having AC goes with the cars mantra it seems to hurt values considerably but if you're ok with it you can get a great deal on the right configuration.

From what I'm seeing the 981's have held steady at or near the MSRP which to me says it's doing better than the 987 as far as values go. I haven't followed too closely so hopefully others can chime in with any nuances.

Regarding the driving aspect, the cars to me are night and day in how they achieve driving nirvana. Both offer a driver focused experience and a connection with the car that is rarely achieved by anything else. The 987 provides an incredible amount of feedback not just through the hydraulic steering but also through the chassis. It's one of the few cars I have driven that tells me clearly what each tire is doing through a corner. It's so accurate I can feel the mild slip occurring when pushing through a corner that has some sand on it. The overall feel of the car is "old school porsche" from its cockpit appearance and simplicity to the way it drives. I have never exited the car without feeling refreshed and blown away by the experience. But that's just me and I think everyone has their own opinion on what is the perfect driving experience hence my earlier recommendation.

The other aspect of the 987 that I appreciate is that Porsche did more to reduce the cars weight which IMHO is one of the biggest issues with modern cars. You don't notice the weight of modern cars most of the time since you're not really pushing them but the minute you do you immediately notice the weight and the inability for the cars sensors and modern controls to handle the weight without filtering out the feedback and taking the control out of your hands. If you don't push the car you'll never notice. I also prefer the manual top of the 987 primarily because it's simpler and less likely to cause problems years from now. Mine still looks and functions as it did the day I received it. There's no mechanical rear wing either and the rear hatch is held on with a very simple aluminum billet which is strong and light. No shortcuts.

In my brief drive of the 981 Spyder my immediate thought was how modern the car feels in comparison to the 987. The interior finish and appearance is more luxurious and the HVAC is superior. It is incredibly stable, smooth and the chassis is significantly stiffer than the 987. Granted it's a new car and against one that was 5 years old at the time so wear could have some impact but there's no denying it's a better chassis. The steering is sharper and faster than the 987 also, no doubt the car transitions better and can carve corners better.

Styling is subjective and you should form your own opinion on this. My opinion, both are stunning to look at but I personally prefer the 987. The lines flow better and it just feels more cohesive to me. The 981 is a very close second. .
Old 03-04-2017 | 01:44 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Spyder is a great buy IMO.

Do you want stick or PDK?
Buckets or sofa seat?

This will determine the price.

You should have approx $60k in your jeans if you are looking to buy one.

OR, you could buy an affordable 2009+ Boxster, send it BGB and have them install the 4.0L X51 engine to make the ultimate weekend pocket rocket.
Old 03-04-2017 | 03:03 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

I bought my 987 spyder last summer on a whim. I got an itch for a convertible car & had read/heard such good things about the spyder that I bought one that I had found online that appealed to me without ever having driven one.

Turned out to be a great purchase & I truly believe that the 987 spyder is the hands down Porsche bargain of the moment.

As Afshin stated - it's a very special feeling car on the road with incredibly precise turn in and wonderful feedback. The X73 suspension was a real surprise to me.

If you decide to buy one, I'd suggest finding one that is highly optioned as you will get more for your money and it will enhance the experience. The previous owner of mine spec'd the car well with an $87k msrp and lots of nice touches, though I paid about the same as other spyders I found with fewer options.

Last edited by Nurburger; 03-04-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2017 | 04:23 PM
bassie81
Racer

Spyders are the best looking and driving experience the boxster platform has to offer.

For the gen 1 you have to appreciate the simple top to fully enjoy it. If you do it offers great fun and different driving options you can't get with any other car. Half open , sunshade up, windows down, wind deflector out...

If you can find a nice one, ****** it up mine is a keeper
Old 03-04-2017 | 04:59 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Thanks all for your helpful input! I am Close to pulling the trigger on a 2012 spider in basalt black. The car is in perfect condition. 14,000 miles with AC. Price negotiated with 60,000.
Old 03-04-2017 | 08:29 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Waxer
Thanks all for your helpful input! I am Close to pulling the trigger on a 2012 spider in basalt black. The car is in perfect condition. 14,000 miles with AC. Price negotiated with 60,000.
Awesome, best color! . Does it have the buckets?

Good luck with the purchase and post the pictures once you get it! Looking forward to the write up after some time behind the wheel!
Old 03-05-2017 | 12:20 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Thank you. The car is in absolutely perfect condition. In fact it has full clear bra.
It was like the "Hunt for red October" to find one with an MT. It doesn't have bucket seats but has the sofa seats. Honestly I have the buckets in my RS and they are a PITA to get in and out of.

The Spyder is not going to be a track car. I just love the way the car looks. It looks special. It is absolutely a head turner.
Old 03-05-2017 | 12:52 AM
DR1VEN
Rennlist Member

Thank you. The car is in absolutely perfect condition. In fact it has full clear bra.
It was like the "Hunt for red October" to find one with an MT. It doesn't have bucket seats but has the sofa seats. Honestly I have the buckets in my RS and they are a PITA to get in and out of.

The Spyder is not going to be a track car. I just love the way the car looks. It looks special. It is absolutely a head turner.
Congrats... great choice. Nothing against the RS but I much prefer the Spyder (either version) for its purist rarity. gets my kudos for its links back to 718 and 550 open top Porsche history. Spyders are a celebration of the engagement and involvement of motoring with gorgeous retro styling reminders of what cars were about before auto piloting lubricious electric drivetrains made the world a duller place.

and full clear bra? ultimate bonus on a black car.
Old 03-05-2017 | 01:24 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

It doesn't have bucket seats but has the sofa seats. Honestly I have the buckets in my RS and they are a PITA to get in and out of.
I hear that. I think im getting too old to have buckets in my street car, especially with a track car in the garage.

Congrats on the nice Spyder find.
It is on my wish list as well.

Quick Reply: Is a first gen Spyder a car worth buying?