Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

993 C S vs. Boxster Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:53 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
It's about the gestalt; the holistic package of appearance, smell, sound, handling, usability, reliability, etc.

I am curious if you were to purchase a daily driver for longterm ownership which car of the two would you choose? A 993 C2/4S coupe or a Boxster Spyder? Anyone else have the same internal debate as me?
I owned a 993 (as you may discern from my handle) and currently own a 981 (as you may further discern from my avatar) so although it's not a 987 Spydie, it's close. And I therefore feel qualified to throw my two cents into the fountain.

As much as I miss my 993, I had a 964 before it, and to me that was a bit more of the true 911 experience - it had better sounds and was a smidgen more archaic. A buddy of mine has an '83 (ish) Carrera and that, although a nice car, is a bit too archaic for my tastes. It's slow, it flexes like a wet noodle, the transmission is very clunky, and it's so old that it borders on unreliable. But it's got the sounds, the smell, and the feel of a classic.

I peruse auctions and watch classic car shows on the TeeVee and yet despite all of my wants, I have two newish cars in my garage. Why? Because I enjoy the performance of the new cars. I appreciate the technology (although sometimes I wish there was a bit less of it in my BMW) and the comfort, fuel economy and reliability that it affords me.

That said, for a DD the 993 might be a slightly better choice if for no other reason than ergonomics, getting in and out of it. I see further in the thread that you have backed-off on that DD criteria, so I guess I'll lean more toward the Spydie.

I'll end with this anecdote that I seem to be repeating a lot on this forum: Two years ago I ordered a new 911 (991 S) which was just a lovely, fantastic car. It had a minor problem and ended up in the shop for a week, when they gave me a Boxster S loaner. The Boxster, Porsche's "entry-level car" is, IMHO, a far better driving experience. The fact that I sold my 911 and then bought the same model year BS for nearly half as much was just icing on the cake. I haven't looked back.

Quick Reply: 993 C S vs. Boxster Spyder?