Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Need Advise With Pre-Purchase Inspection - 987 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:38 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 63 Posts

Seems like very few of the black interior cars have full leather from what I have seen. I know it's a must for some and maybe not to much for others, but I think it really adds to the feel of the interior overall, and the smell
Old 03-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Finding an MT with Sport Buckets will be hard enough. Adding full leather into the requirements will take more time. But with spring coming and people getting the itch to switch cars there may be some Spyders popping up for sale. I think one of the guys here mentioned they are considering selling theirs and it looked like a very good combo.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:15 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

HoBoJoe:
Thanks for looking it up, Joe; appreciate it. I did see that listing and called the dealership. I was told the car was sold; for some reason it is still showing up. Here is a brief history with that car: I contacted them originally and put a refundable deposit. Then, I saw the Virginia Beach car with super low miles and extra option (Sport Chrono); I was tempted and canceled the deposit. So, bottom line: ended up with neither!

Afshin:
Correct. Inability to find the right specs, color, complete unknown history and reliability are the greatest inhibiting factors for me to never consider pre-owned vehicles. I am talking myself into making an exception for the Spyder. But, that's only part of me. The other part keeps nagging me to forget the 987 Spyder and spec a GTS exactly the way I want!! Its a struggle!

thanks.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

If it makes you feel any better, it took me a solid 6 months to find an allocation so I could order one. I was contacting my local dealer on a bimonthly basis asking for updates and if they had any luck convincing the zone rep to create more allocations. A fellow Rennlister made me aware of an allocation in NJ and it was a right place right time situation. The car was already "in production" and they were able to change the specs for me. I had it in my hands 6 weeks later!

If you're patient one will come up. Post up the must have options on this thread and include any extra's you would like to have. We all come across cars and can keep our eyes open for you.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you see this one? http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...65567777&Log=0

Great price for a CPO Spyder with MT and Sport Buckets.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:03 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Rider
What happened to the VA Beach Spyder? I thought that looked like a great car. Could you not get a satisfactory history on it?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:18 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Rider
I just read your post as to why you are passing it up. Too bad you couldn't fly out to look it over.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:37 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Afshin:
I can relate to your experience. When 986 was first launched, I was on the waiting list. But, as the rumours of S version surfaced, I switched the deposit and had to wait another 18 months or so. In the end, I was able to spec it the way I wanted. So, as you point out, patience is needed when you are targeting something specific.

Thanks for posting the listing. 'HoBoJoe' also posted it from the dealer. Please see above my earlier explanation. Regardless, I called them again ten minutes ago before posting this response; I was told that the car has been sold! :-( Anyway, here are my mandatory requirements: MT, bucket seats and Bi-Xenon. Other options are welcome, of course. I am also watching Porsche's locator everyday. Appreciate the help.

meteor10:
Yeah, as you read, a couple of things impeded the deal. Would have loved that super-low miles choice under different circumstances.

Thanks again, gentlemen. cheers.
henry.

Last edited by spyderphile; 03-09-2014 at 02:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

That black one must have come and gone pretty quick, I don't remember seeing it in my previous searches. There's a red one that just came up in my searches that matches your requirements: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...61940551&Log=0
Old 03-09-2014, 07:33 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That black one must have come and gone pretty quick, I don't remember seeing it in my previous searches. There's a red one that just came up in my searches that matches your requirements: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...61940551&Log=0
Thanks, Afshin. Just looked at it. I have left a message for them as they are closed today. It looks pretty basic, void of options. One of the key requirements is Bi-Xenon. It wasn't listed; but then, they listed bucket seats as power seats (for passenger). So, they may not have been thorough in listing options. Will talk to them on Monday and figure it out.

How expensive is it to have Bi-Xenon installed by the dealer? Got to have them. Not sure how much of factory warranty left. I will need to get extended warranty from the local dealer here.

I have only been searching CPO vehicles via Porsche's locator, which is my ideal search route. Thanks again.

cheers.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Henry I believe it has the xenons as the headlight washers are showing in the pictures.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:28 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Henry I believe it has the xenons as the headlight washers are showing in the pictures.
Yup, headlight washers means it has xenons.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Yes, didn't realize that! Awesome; thanks, Afshin and Joe. I will call them tomorrow and let you guys know. Thanks for your help.

cheers. henry.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:47 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

When you are looking at them, always look for the headlight washers. That is a dead giveaway.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:19 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, 66mustang and others.

I haven't gotten any response back from the dealer for my message. I have now decided to wait for the GTS's formal announcement. I need to look at it's specs and possibly few reviews. It is likely to be awesome. If I am going to consider the Spyder, it needs to be a CPO or from a fellow Rennlist member.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

cheers. henry.

Quick Reply: Need Advise With Pre-Purchase Inspection - 987 Spyder