Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Along came a Spyder... Doesn't like to walk backwards.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Joe, do you know if PSE is more or less restrictive than the standard exhaust?

I'm also curious to know how much louder and different would the exhaust sound if you only installed the headers and cats. What kind of horsepower difference would you expect if just doing the headers and cats.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:28 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

I'm also curious to know how much louder and different would the exhaust sound if you only installed the headers and cats. What kind of horsepower difference would you expect if just doing the headers and cats.
I've been thinking the same thing. Someone has to have done it, no?
Old 08-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
It doesn't hurt my feelings at all, I'm just pointing out that you already have a car in which you can't use all the available power, unless of course you're on a track or on the job.
LOL! I don't have a track available to me but I am in fact "on the job." I would never abuse my authority to speed or get out of a ticket but I have "tested" the upper limits of my cars from time to time. But you are totally correct about the 996. It has a great deal of performance that I will never really use. The Spyder was a blast to drive at speed or hitting the twisties and never getting to fourth gear. If I find the right Spyder I think I will make some changes to the headers, cats and exhaust as was suggested in another post. I don't need a rocket...just a little bit more grunt.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:14 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay9722
LOL! I don't have a track available to me but I am in fact "on the job." I would never abuse my authority to speed or get out of a ticket but I have "tested" the upper limits of my cars from time to time. But you are totally correct about the 996. It has a great deal of performance that I will never really use. The Spyder was a blast to drive at speed or hitting the twisties and never getting to fourth gear. If I find the right Spyder I think I will make some changes to the headers, cats and exhaust as was suggested in another post. I don't need a rocket...just a little bit more grunt.

I know about "the brass pass" , besides what officer is going to write you? I know most do not abuse the power but you can easily drive 80 in a 55 as most cars do anyhow, you just get to do it without any worry.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
I know about "the brass pass" , besides what officer is going to write you? I know most do not abuse the power but you can easily drive 80 in a 55 as most cars do anyhow, you just get to do it without any worry.
I am a Federal Agent so I have to be very careful about getting pulled. A lot of police officers aren't forgiving when they pull over a fed in a Porsche. I have been pulled in the Spyder before and the trooper made a comment about getting paid too much and driving a P-car. I told him we probably pulled down about the same per year and I saved for years and could only afford a Boxster. It deflated his ego a little bit and said "shoulda got a Vette." "Yes sir but I can't quite afford one of those yet..."
Old 08-25-2013, 05:38 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Originally Posted by Jay9722;10711273[B
I am a Federal Agent[/B]t so I have to be very careful about getting pulled. A lot of police officers aren't forgiving when they pull over a fed in a Porsche. I have been pulled in the Spyder before and the trooper made a comment about getting paid too much and driving a P-car. I told him we probably pulled down about the same per year and I saved for years and could only afford a Boxster. It deflated his ego a little bit and said "shoulda got a Vette." "Yes sir but I can't quite afford one of those yet..."
Who do you think named it the brass pass? I appreciate what you're saying, my family tells me the TSA is a PIA, so they give as much line as possible. Still, if I were you, I'd drive the way I want and let Mr. Road patrol thump his chest, when he's done you're leaving free to go and if not the ticket is getting code sixed anyhow.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

PSE is less restrictive than standard when the valve is open, but the headers still have major restriction in the primary catalytic converters.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Supagoat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, so swap the headers? Sounds like a plan to me. I did it for my Miata (along with mid and exhaust) and got a tune and it made a big difference. I don't know that I'd want to do the whole exhaust and definitely not a tune on a Spyder but the header.... Yeah, why not?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm on the road and don't have the Excellence article about the BS and CR match up handy. But wasn't the exhaust section between the the headers and cats apparently 5mm larger on the CR said to be causing the 10 HP difference.

If so it may be a less expensive alternative to those looking for an extra 10 HP.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Supagoat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like there's 10hp / 5 lb-ft in the exhaust:

Old 08-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like you have found your next toy....
Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 58 Posts

Any sounds clips or vids Joe?
Old 08-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Supagoat
Looks like there's 10hp / 5 lb-ft in the exhaust:

2011 Boxster Spyder Race Exhaust Dyno - YouTube
That dyno is of the "Race" system (Race system is what we sell to the ITC Cayman race teams). The race system and the Maxflo system have since been redesigned and make more low and mid range power. The top end is about the same as it was, as the limiting factor on the top end is the factory headers.

Here is a dyno of Joe@Fabspeed's Boxster Spyder with the redesigned Maxflo system. You can see it makes power across the entire rpm range. Peak power on this car was up 9 to the wheels, and 8 ft. lbs peak to the wheels, but there are areas where the gains are 12+ Hp and 10+ ft. lbs torque, to the wheels. This is with the stock headers still on the car.

We are working on a number things for the 987.2/981 which will be tested on this particular car, when those runs are done I will post the graphs.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Along came a Spyder... Doesn't like to walk backwards.