Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Clear bra PSE and SSK for the Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:46 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clear bra PSE and SSK for the Spyder

Hey guys, as you know I am very excited about my new Spyder. I am getting a clear bra full front (hood fenders spoiler mirrors) as I did on my 997. I am a big believer on the clear bra for high impact zones, especially on a black car. The bra on my 997 has worked wonders and kept the front end aero kit pristine.

My question is on the Spyder, as anyone done more extensive protection ie rear decklid where the top attaches or rear quarter panels bumpers? What do you recommend?

The car is also getting the factory PSE exhaust and Porsche SSK fitted at Hoehn Porsche. I don't waste any time spec'ing the car exactly the way I want it, but keeping it factory.

Last edited by svb; 08-06-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:19 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good call on PSE and SSK. If you don't already have an installer, Evan at Auto Armour is fantastic.

LMK if you want to go to C&C Carlsbad this weekend or get out for an AM drive. Would be cool to get the Spyders together
Old 07-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Nice choices! I have a Bassalt Spyder with MT, Buckets, PSE and will be installing SSK eventually so we have twins.

I had a full bra installed on my Spyder which included:
Front Bumper
Headlights
Full Hood
Full Fenders
Rocker panels on all smooth surfaces and into the door sills
Behind the rear air intakes, full coverage including the lettering
Behind the rear wheels and the lower part of the rear bumper to protect against rocks tossed from the tires.

If you don't rush the top removal and installation you should be fine with preventing scratching on the rear decklid.

Enjoy in good health and congrats!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:19 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

First of all, I don't tailgate with my Porsche. That will cut down on a lot of dirt, sand, gravel, rock chips that gets on your car.

I don't think anyone needs film protection on the rear lid. It would be extraordinary if a rock chip ever gets back there. I'd rather have the ability to polish by machine. You can't use a orbital buffer or anything if it is wrapped.

I had Ventureshield installed.
Headlights (pre cut kit)
Front bumper (pre cut kit)
Rocker & door sills covering the Spyder Stickers (custom cut)
Behind rear wheels next to the valance (custom cut)

I elected not to do the hood or mirrors. Knock on wood, but so far so good. The hood is slanted enough that it doesn't even get a lot of bugs, if at all. Plus, again, I rather have to ability to buff it by machine if needed.

The one area I wish I wrapped was behind the air vents. That area does get dirty with debris. Just a matter of time before a gravel or rock chip will hit it. But then, to wrap that area, it will have cut lines, unless you wrapped the whole rear quarters.

I went cheapskate for the front. If I get it done again, maybe next year, I'll have it custom cut. I hate cut lines, and I have 2 on the front bumper.

Head on over to the detailing forum for some pics of awesome hand cut installs.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ClintonM3

Head on over to the detailing forum for some pics of awesome hand cut installs.
I would definitely add the hood and full fenders. I don't tailgate either but I can clearly see where a rock hit the bra and damaged the surface of it. That could have been my paint.

There is a post in the detailing forum showing the install on my car, I totally forgot about it until you mentioned it!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:21 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

One can also the protection for windshields now. I ordered and received it, but will get a professional to install it on my Cayman S Cabriolet.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is a link to the install on my car. I can only hope I can find someone as good in Kansas City when it's time to replace the current film.

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...-car-care.html
Old 07-26-2013, 01:00 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. This is a special car and I think the extra work is fully worth the effort to protect it.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

Xpel is an OUTSTANDING product. it is far "clearer" in appearance than 3M and others. self healing.
look into it.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:29 PM
SpyderMan2011
Intermediate

Damn too bad i didn't do that to mine. Now there are a lot of minor scratches! Wish i could repaint the car and then install the film

Quick Reply: Clear bra PSE and SSK for the Spyder