Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder prices redux...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:16 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
...If someone buys a non-spyder variant it really does not make them any less of an enthusiast...
Bravo! I love the attitude.

Re: Spyder top, experiencing the Spyder is not about the design of its top. The top design may not be the most functional, but it is part of the Spyder's overall allure. This is in the same spirit of the 50s 550s/356 Speedsters and Italian Barchettas.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:27 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
If what you want is easy, average, then get a boxster! If the Spyder was "For everyone", I wouldn't want one. The spyder is for the dedicated, die hard enthusiast that is appreciative of it's character... not the poser..
sorry did you mean Carrera, Panamera or Cayenne? (the big sellers)

Owning a Boxster is neither an average or easy experience.

Owning a Boxster as your only car... definitely not easy (The U-Haul people know me on a first name basis).

p.s.
The only thing that makes the Spyder any less practical than any other Boxster is the top.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:22 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

We've found Boxster ownership to actually be a pretty easy. They've been reliable and safe and have taken everything we've thrown at them. We lived out of the two trunks for 3 week in Europe when we picked it up. We bring home the Christmas tree in them. We've put more than 280,000 miles on the pair.

If they had not been such great cars, there's no way I would have spent the money for the RS or the Cayman R.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mclaudio

Re: Spyder top, experiencing the Spyder is not about the design of its top. The top design may not be the most functional, but it is part of the Spyder's overall allure. This is in the same spirit of the 50s 550s/356 Speedsters and Italian Barchettas.
Exactly. Therein lies the charm of the spyder. It's as much about what it does NOT do right (like a/c, radio, cup holder delete, finicky top) as much as what it does do right (simple sport suspension and steering, delightful gearbox, light weight etc). I'm sold
Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 151 Posts

The entire Spyder roof weighs 12lbs. How can you not respect the engineering of an apparatus that is as light as physically possible (using carbon fiber, no less), provides three functional configurations, and looks great in all three?

In our corporate world of short term profit maximization, truly focused cars with a limited audience are becoming extinct. That is what makes the Spyder special.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:11 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Well said Alan. First owner driven spyders are also near extinct.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Plus one, I would not want a standard pull back top. I like the unique design of the top and how it looks when installed. It is one of the few soft top convertibles I have seen that looks good with the top up or down. I also like that fact that when my soft top wears out I can buy the necessary replacement parts and install it in less than 2 minutes without paying Porsche labor rates. Can't say that about any other convertible tops!

And with the hinges normally used in a standard convertible I still wonder if it would be heavier than what Porsche has engineered for the Spyder.

As others have said, I would not change a thing.

Everything you said plus there are no cables to snap motors to break or synchronization issues, I love the manual top. If there is one minus it's a bit more noisy than a standard top but on my car it's only up if it's raining anyway so it's no big deal. I think the Spyder is the kind of car you can love forever, I know it's my intention to keep mine as long as I can. It's the first new Porsche I ever had and the one that was worth reaching for the most in my opinion.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
truly focused cars with a limited audience are becoming extinct. That is what makes the Spyder special.
Yes! Focus does mean it's not for everyone... intentionally. Compared to a "Regular" Boxster, the spyder is as much defined by what it does not have. In a day when consumers demand more and more content, the spyder is the opposite. While no one thing "missing" is enough to define the experience, it is the combination of "Missing" things that define the philosophy. The top is merely the most obvious representation of that philosophy. By owning a spyder, you announce to the world, and to yourself, what you value in a car, and perhaps in life. Do you drive for bluetooth and lattes, or adrenaline and bugs in your teeth?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

great comment! I'm still laughing..you made my day

but I'll pass on the bugs part

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Yes! Focus does mean it's not for everyone... intentionally. Compared to a "Regular" Boxster, the spyder is as much defined by what it does not have. In a day when consumers demand more and more content, the spyder is the opposite. While no one thing "missing" is enough to define the experience, it is the combination of "Missing" things that define the philosophy. The top is merely the most obvious representation of that philosophy. By owning a spyder, you announce to the world, and to yourself, what you value in a car, and perhaps in life. Do you drive for bluetooth and lattes, or adrenaline and bugs in your teeth?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spyder prices have dropped significantly here, but cayman r prices have remained solid.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:08 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
spyder prices have dropped significantly here, but cayman r prices have remained solid.
Any idea how many of each you got down there, Jimmy?

Could it be just that all R's are 2012s, while almost all Spyders aren't?
It shouldn't be the weather down there right now?
Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the spyder and have thinking about getting one over the past year. With prices increasing, it has me thinking at around 70k I can buy a 981S with all modern improvements etc. I drove the 981s, which while being a terrific, almost flawless sports car, lacked some of the feel and rawness of the 987. My other delema is that is I need to get a pdk due a chronic bad ankle. I kind of feel like I would be ruining the purity of the spyder by putting an auto tranny in it.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:27 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy

same here as the UK... but... we've had record rainfall this year. ANd it's always bloody raining.......
Old 12-23-2012, 02:19 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by scycle2020
I love the spyder and have thinking about getting one over the past year. With prices increasing, it has me thinking at around 70k I can buy a 981S with all modern improvements etc. I drove the 981s, which while being a terrific, almost flawless sports car, lacked some of the feel and rawness of the 987. My other delema is that is I need to get a pdk due a chronic bad ankle. I kind of feel like I would be ruining the purity of the spyder by putting an auto tranny in it.
+1 on everything

It wouldn't be like you 'ruined' a Spyder by putting the pdk in it. Anything you find was already built that way.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:43 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Yes the PDK adds weight which is not true to the ethos of the spyder but so does adding an A/c or radio or Bixenon headlights but almost all spyders have those three options. If you like the overall styling of the spyder and if the the low production numbers appeal to you (I know it does to some not to me as I am not a collector) then PDK spyder is the way to go for someone with a bad knee or ankle.

Quick Reply: Spyder prices redux...