Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Emission tag for the spyder

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 12:42 PM
cetro
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Emission tag for the spyder

I need to register an out of state Spyder and I can't seem to locate the emission tag. Can someone point me to the right direction
Old 11-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Karl02832
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is on the rear trunk lid. Open it up and you would be staring right at it.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:11 PM
cetro
Rennlist Member

Karl, I have checked the back and the front lid and there isn't any emission labels there.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Karl02832
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just went outside to snap a picture of the inside of my trunk lid. Is this the label you are looking for?
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

You bought the silver one which had custom paint from the factory. I wonder if the sticker was never added back on.

Go to the dealer and ask them to get you a sticker.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:38 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 257 Posts

I went through this when I bought an out-of-state Boxster back in July. In my case, and likely the same on yours, the emissions sticker is not on any of the trunk lids. I had to disconnect the convertible top and remove the carpet panel that was on top of the engine cover. The sticker that the DMV wants to see is on top of the stationary engine cover.

Good luck.

DaveGee
Old 11-22-2012, 08:04 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes and no. In my Boxster S, the sticker is on the aluminum engine cover underneath the carpet (as with Dave). In my Spyder, it's on the underside of the rear hatch/trunk. Check both locations if you can't locate it readily.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 PM
cetro
Rennlist Member

Vetman, I don't have that sticker anywhere in the trunk. Afshin is correct regarding this car being a show car and thus no stickers anywhere in the trunk. I'm going to have to check with the local Porsche dealer and see what they recommend.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:47 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 257 Posts

I don't believe the stickers are VIN specific. So, if you were to take a high quality digital photo of someone elses sticker and get it printed on adhesive backed vinyl by your local sign shop and affix it in a logical place, the DMV inspector - who just wants to check a box on a checklist - will see it and move on.

This is all hypothetical of course...

DaveGee
Old 11-23-2012, 03:49 PM
cetro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveGee
I don't believe the stickers are VIN specific. So, if you were to take a high quality digital photo of someone elses sticker and get it printed on adhesive backed vinyl by your local sign shop and affix it in a logical place, the DMV inspector - who just wants to check a box on a checklist - will see it and move on.

This is all hypothetical of course...

DaveGee
Old 11-23-2012, 07:44 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cetro
Vetman, I don't have that sticker anywhere in the trunk. Afshin is correct regarding this car being a show car and thus no stickers anywhere in the trunk. I'm going to have to check with the local Porsche dealer and see what they recommend.
By "anywhere in the trunk", I take it that you've taken out the foam piece where the cabriolet top stores, the carpet, and witnessed the engine cover? Without removing all these pieces, you'll not be able to see the sticker on Dave's and my Boxster S.

Anyhow, you and Afshin are correct that your Spyder is a special one. Perhaps they didn't put the sticker back on after all...
Old 11-23-2012, 08:39 PM
cetro
Rennlist Member

Haven't taken out the foam piece. Can you confirm that's where it might be?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:06 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by cetro
Haven't taken out the foam piece. Can you confirm that's where it might be?
Seem to recall coming across someone else looking for this and while in the earlier cars -- my 02 for instance (I bought the car in KS, lived in MO them moved to CA and brought the car with me and got it registered/licensed in CA and the sticker was good) -- the sticker is on the underside of the rear trunk lid in newer MY year cars -- I do not know when the change was made -- it is on the underside of the engine cover or perhaps on top of the engine cover. You'll have to remove the carpet cover and expose the engine cover proper. Then if you do not see the sticker remove the engine cover to expose the engine and look on the underside of the engine cover.

Quick Reply: Emission tag for the spyder