Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Might be Joining the Spider Club

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012 | 06:45 PM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm thinking about calling them back this evening and making an offer. Mileage is a funny thing. A 2011 with 20K is on the high side and hurts the market value a bit. If it were a 2006 with 20K it would be a big boost to the value. At the end of the day though, they are both 20K mile cars.

I also have a line on a Cayman R, but it's a bit more money and they don't seem as special as the Spyders, but the additional practicality might be worth something as a daily driver. I need to decide on something because the 996 goes to its new home tomorrow afternoon and I don't want the 356 to be lonely at night...
Old 07-10-2012 | 06:52 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by countrysquire
I need to decide on something because the 996 goes to its new home tomorrow afternoon and I don't want the 356 to be lonely at night...
Umm... how 'bout I'll keep it company with 987S and a motorcycle in MY garage???

FWIW (again), the Spyder you're looking at has been on the market for months. I know - I've also been looking. Something to keep in mind during your negotiation. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2012 | 06:54 PM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

I actually prefer the manual top. No electric motors or hydraulics to fail or get unsynched and out of sorts. Most of my driving is commuting (20 miles each way) and I normally have the radio cranked pretty good, so noise is not a huge issue. Also, I've learned over the years how to get into seats without wearing the leather on the outer bolster, so I should be OK getting in and out of the buckets.

I really appreciate the feedback. Any thoughts on the satellite radio?
Old 07-10-2012 | 06:58 PM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

Carfax, if accurate, shows a 'for sale' date of 6/17/12. I will use this though, it costs them money every day in interest for expensive cars to sit on the lot.
Old 07-10-2012 | 06:59 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

RE: satellite radio, you'll need to switch out the current unit with an aftermarket version (edit) or see below. If the silver Spyder doesn't already have it, that is (satellite radio is an option that can be ordered on newer cars). I'm not very knowledgeable with AM radios that fit in Porsches, but I think there's more than 1 good one to choose from. Do a search here or on the "other" site (planet-9).

Cheers.

P.S. Hmm... maybe I'm wrong about how long it's been on the market. Still, it's been 1 month - negotiating power.
P.S.II Maybe the previous owner tried to sell it online (e.g. autotrader) before trading it into the current dealer?

Last edited by the_vetman; 07-10-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2012 | 08:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The general consensus of Spyder owners seem to be "So what if this or that detail isn't perfect, the car is SO great that I refuse to complain about anything". In all my years of reading internet forums, I've never witnessed this level of love for a car.
Thanks,
Bobby
I actually prefer the manual top. No electric motors or hydraulics to fail or get unsynched and out of sorts. Most of my driving is commuting (20 miles each way) and I normally have the radio cranked pretty good, so noise is not a huge issue. Also, I've learned over the years how to get into seats without wearing the leather on the outer bolster, so I should be OK getting in and out of the buckets.
Are you sure you're not already a Spyder owner?
Old 07-10-2012 | 08:19 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I'm thinking about calling them back this evening and making an offer.
In my opinion, you'll be taken more seriously as a potential buyer if you make an offer in person. And you'll have a better chance of negotiating a price that's more acceptable to you for the same reason.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2012 | 08:31 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Re satellite radio, check out this thread -- no need to swap out the radio! I can post a picture later, if you like, so that you can see how perfectly the unit fits.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...-a-spyder.html
Old 07-10-2012 | 08:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
Option code 740 Show Finish ??? on the car at Jim Ellis
I pointed out in another thread about this car that I suspected it was the LA Auto Show car last year on the Porsche stand. That would confirm it.

Whether related to the option code or not I do not know, but it is the only Spyder I have seen with the Cayman R's brighter wheel finish.
Old 07-10-2012 | 09:02 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm thinking about calling them back this evening and making an offer. Mileage is a funny thing. A 2011 with 20K is on the high side and hurts the market value a bit....
You may or may not be aware that deliveries of the Spyder started in March/April 2010 as a 2011 model, so many are over two years old now. "In-service" date is something to consider when comparing cars in terms of mileage, and especially remaining warranty.
Old 07-10-2012 | 09:17 PM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VGM911
In my opinion, you'll be taken more seriously as a potential buyer if you make an offer in person. And you'll have a better chance of negotiating a price that's more acceptable to you for the same reason.

Good luck!
I'm 2,000 miles away, so I'm gonna have to do it by phone.
Old 07-10-2012 | 09:18 PM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zellamsee
Re satellite radio, check out this thread -- no need to swap out the radio! I can post a picture later, if you like, so that you can see how perfectly the unit fits.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...-a-spyder.html
I saw that thread, but the pictures don't work for me. I'd really appreciate it if you could post another picture of it installed.
Old 07-10-2012 | 09:25 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Carfax, if accurate, shows a 'for sale' date of 6/17/12. I will use this though, it costs them money every day in interest for expensive cars to sit on the lot.
The Carfax report is a bit strange. The first entry lists the car for sale with 7600 miles and lists only one owner. Was this a demo vehicle? I'd check with a Porsche dealer to get the 'in service' date - that's what the warranty is based on.
Old 07-10-2012 | 09:30 PM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Are you sure you're not already a Spyder owner?
Hah! I'd drive my 356 every day if it had A/C...and a radio. 107 or so horsepower, as old as I am, yet it's more fun to drive than any car that I've ever owned. Maybe I am cut out to be a Spyder owner. The offer is in, we'll see what happens.
Old 07-10-2012 | 09:32 PM
countrysquire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
The Carfax report is a bit strange. The first entry lists the car for sale with 7600 miles and lists only one owner. Was this a demo vehicle? I'd check with a Porsche dealer to get the 'in service' date - that's what the warranty is based on.
It was originally owned by Porsche NA from what I understand. Maybe that's why it's Arctic Silver instead of Platinum.

Quick Reply: Might be Joining the Spider Club