Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

LRP Cayman R lap times

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:16 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default LRP Cayman R lap times

Hi,

if anybody took their 'R' to Lime Rock and runs in higher run groups - what was the best lap time you got?

Regards, Paul.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:06 AM
skippster123
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not timed but...

I ran in the SCDA advanced last week. I don't know my time but I know the speeds in most places on the track. Having done several skip barber's at LRP I know it pretty well. For me, and there were others, mostly GT's and Turbos, that were faster. I have been trying to break 90 on the uphill and 95 on the downhill. I seem to chicken out at about 85 on the uphill, feeling that I am not 100% square and therefore with the PSM going off feeling like I am drifting to the left and perhaps catching some air. From the the top of the hill to the back straight, back to power so 90, down the hill, tap the brakes right b4 the bridge, flat out through the the downhill. If you can do that, hit the apex at 95, track-out you are going to be at 120 mps by the bridge toward BB in 4th gear. I decided I don't like going to 5th because I run out of real estate trying to get back down the box into 3rd while breaking into BB. One bad shift and your rear wheels lock, so you better be about 4500 rps in third going about 70 (that's a guess, no time to be a tourist and look down at actual mph.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:54 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skippster123
about 85 on the uphill
thanks, it helps.
i looked at my video and i do not seem to get higher than 82mph at the apex there, so, will see if it can be improved. well, i guess, there is always something to work on.

to go flat out whole downhill after bridge will definitely take more practice to master, right now it does not seem to work. i go hardly at 3/4 throttle and even this way rear end tend to skip to the left, on full throttle it would loose it imho but i guess i will try more. i seem to always brake in the middle of downhill area and by apex i am at 85-87mph, then at bridge close to 130-134. well, go figure. probably too many bad habits.

Last edited by utkinpol; 05-07-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:39 PM
993Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by skippster123
I ran in the SCDA advanced last week. I don't know my time but I know the speeds in most places on the track. Having done several skip barber's at LRP I know it pretty well. For me, and there were others, mostly GT's and Turbos, that were faster. I have been trying to break 90 on the uphill and 95 on the downhill. I seem to chicken out at about 85 on the uphill, feeling that I am not 100% square and therefore with the PSM going off feeling like I am drifting to the left and perhaps catching some air. From the the top of the hill to the back straight, back to power so 90, down the hill, tap the brakes right b4 the bridge, flat out through the the downhill. If you can do that, hit the apex at 95, track-out you are going to be at 120 mps by the bridge toward BB in 4th gear. I decided I don't like going to 5th because I run out of real estate trying to get back down the box into 3rd while breaking into BB. One bad shift and your rear wheels lock, so you better be about 4500 rps in third going about 70 (that's a guess, no time to be a tourist and look down at actual mph.
Are you apexing at 95 or tracking out at 95? In my Cayman if I apex at ~75, I track out close to 90 and hit about 119 at start finish. If you are apexing at 95, I would think you would be much faster than 120 by the bridge.

Either of you going to LRP May 31st with SCDA?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

i was planning on being there on 31st but unfortunately will only be at NHMS on June 6th or 4th, wheneever it is. quite a bummer but family schedule does not allow.

apexing downhill at 95 i do not know about... like i said, i would love to see a video from preferably 997 car without cup car aero running such a lap, and preferably not on hoosiers. looking at april videos on my car right now 85 at apex there was a safe limit, above it car was skipping out with fronts screaming loud but it was very cold day and pretty cold track.

on my car i run 275 NT01 fronts and 335 RA1 rears and it is imho not capable to turn-in nowhere near to such speed at downhill, doing it but, again, perhaps it just requires more practice.

i stopped liking this LRP track recently, when you start pushing car a lot and drive to the limit there are many spots there to wreck really badly, at last event as i was pushing it when i tried an entry at 86mph on uphill by the apex cone on the right car understeered so badly so i almost went into left wall on the top, corner worker was probably very unhappy about this as i was very close there. hate when this happens, especially considering i need to drive home in this car.

but i get a feeling that to get into the uphill _safe_ and faster than 85 somewhat mph one needs a very nice front splitter and a lot of downforce in the front to make car turn in when you are on the throttle already. or may be i need to re-learn this corner and instead of staying on throttle and accelerating early even before turn to try to trailbrake into apex there and switch to throttle after car hits elevation, but it may end up pretty bad if i mess up that transition.

i saw videos of people doing it at 90mph but it seems like they simply stay on maintenance throttle and car just goes there, but mine does not. go figure.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 PM
skippster123
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could've been going faster than 120 by the bridge heading into Big Bend. My point was through practice I felt more confident at a faster speed hitting the apex. Going from 90 up to 95 on the apex at the downhill adds more than 5 miles per hour when you track out to the left even though you think you are headed toward the wall. Assuming there's no traffic you surprise yourself being at 110ish closer to the apex than if you went through 80 or 85. At that speed you'll track out at 90-95 then step on it. I just said 120 because I don't want have hit my brakes that hard and get down the gear box into third going 6500 into the turn. I agree with LRP, I've done a couple of Skip Barbers and SCDA so I am more comfortable. I am not doing the May session but trying New Hampshire June 4th just to try another track. I might do NJ.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:39 AM
993Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll be on a business trip for the June date at NHMS so that is out but am looking at making the trip to NJ later in June with SCDA.

Quick Reply: LRP Cayman R lap times